ADVERTISEMENT

March MLS talk

TooTchuisi

'Nova Nation Sensation
Feb 16, 2013
Opening day yesterday with Jozy scoring two goals (One from a penalty kick). Excited for the Redbulls to kick off at Sporting KC. NYCFC also squares off against Orlando today. Some good matches to start the season.

NYCFC supporters on the board must be excited to finally see an actual soccer game after years of waiting. First home match next week at the stadium.

Very excited for 5 PM today. I actually think the boys in blue are a little overrated right now. I don't like our defense or goalkeeping. Think both are below par for MLS.

I'm excited to watch Kaka. Probably the most talented on the ball player to ever play in the league. Enjoy him while you can because he'll probably tear his knee apart by next month.

Jozy scoring is great. But the takeaway from that game is that Giovinco is probably the most dangerous player in MLS.

Originally posted by TMJ45:
NYCFC is garbage. From top to bottom that organization is a fraud.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Why do you say that? And please don't tell me you are a RedBull fan.

I'm a red bull fan. I want nycfc to do well. Another soccer specific stadium in the area would be good for the mls and a natural rival to the red bulls. I'm very excited to see this team in the post Henry era. it's gonna be tough to move on from probably the best mls player the last couple years

What's the knock on nycfc? The only thing I know about them is they signed David villa, so that makes me think they are trying.

No Kaka for Orlando?

Somewhat, but would say a better comparison would be the top European leagues in basketball.

Originally posted by TMJ45:
Basically lied to their fans for months. It's a farm team for City. Nothing more.
What specifically?

and is it a bad thing if they are running their borderline premiere club guys over here in the summer? That doesn't sound bad to me.

They won't do that, or do they say. It's a scheme to avoid paying FFP tax in Europe. Build clubs across the world that can then evenly divided overhead and get the big clubs costs down. They've shown no effort to build a real club in NYC. No stadium, no training grounds, and their big signing was a front to strengthen the big club. It's a joke. Even the old Rutgers AD bailed. That's how bad it is.

And a bad first 30 so far from Man City B. Lost in the midfield. Loose in the back. Nothing in the front third. Should be down 1 or 2 goals if they weren't also playing an expansion team.

Tim Pernetti was working for NYCFC? No wonder things were falling apart.

What's up with Lamoard? Coming over in the summer?

So when guys like David Beckam play in this league, is it like when Rickey Henderson played in the minors when he was in his late 40's?

No I don't think there's a great comparison there. My best comparison is what happened when the NBA locked out and players signed deals in Europe/China. Go there, draw tickets, but obviously not at 100%.

Originally posted by YourBuddyRayhad:
So when guys like David Beckam play in this league, is it like when Rickey Henderson played in the minors when he was in his late 40's?
It was.

But out the guys they have coming over now are more like if Paul pierce went to Europe last yr instead of brooklyn. They are coming iver a bit younger with gas in the tank.

Thierry henry was was amazing in mls, his skill level was real high, but he didn't have the stamina to continue to be "the guy" for a top euro club over the past four years. So he signed a 4 yr, $12 mill contract to play in a new media market instead of signing with a mediocre euro team for maybe a little more money.

David Villa is in NyCFC. 10 months ago he was playing in the USAF champions league final (biggest game in the sport), and he scored 13 goals last yr. he was making $6 mill last yr and is making similar money in mls. He is only 32.

Kaka ka is also only 32. A few seasons ago he was the highest paid player in the game at like $50 mil. He signed for Orlando for like $7 mill, which was similar to his most recent euro contract. He had some recent injury issues, but he could still be a good player (think more Peyton manning after the colts let him go)

jermaine jones and clint dempsey were were awesome for the us in the World Cup. They are high level players.

What is kind of cool about mls is that there is a more noticeable talent ago between the good players and the average guys. The designated players are usually pretty good, while the joke schmie random defensive back might be making $60k for the season and is a step better than a rec league player. So the skills that make the good players stand out are a bit more noticeable than when you watch Uefa games and every player out there is awesome.

If you are just getting into soccer, it's kind if cool to see how certain skills start to stand out, and appreciate what makes the good guys better than the scrubs. You don't get to see that as much in the high level games. Sort of like watching college sports where the future pros can really distinguish themselves from the rest.

Also, right now is when the uefa stuff is really getting good. You should TiVo some of the games this week. Probably worthy if it's own thread.

But mls is running a different schedule, coincides with baseball. So it becomes an option for the summer, and the playoffs are going just as the euro leagues are starting up. That's a huge drawing point for me.

Mix diskerud, that was nice!!

Ray had, the guy who just scored the goal was over playing in Europe and is considered to have high potential. I think nardi has claimed he will be the best guy in the usmnt by the next World Cup. At some point he will probably go over to a euro league, but we get to watch him develop now.

As expected Orlando gets the equalizer. Deserved at least a draw out of this. New York has a lot to work on if it's going to pretend they're for real.

Nardis point. I don't think Mix will be that good. Couldn't even find a team in Europe willing to sign him.

TMJ,

If you hate the team so much, why did you buy tickets?

Bought them when they signed Lampard thinking it was a real team. Trust me, I've tried to get my money back but they won't refund it. I'm just going to sit in my seats and loudly cheer against them for games I can't sell. Will be great fun.

If you know someone who's willing to pay face they are theirs. Ill even throw in that piece of shit scarf they sent out.

Also, I don't think any of what I said is really debatable. It's all fact at this point. Pretty sad start to what looked to be a promising team.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't get the farm team argument. Farm teams develop players for the big club. We don't have that

They just pretend to sign the player then gift them to the big club. Guess not exactly farm team, but I don't see how it's not a huge negative for the club.

It's disappointing as I was an early adopter, then the true purpose of the club is revealed. I then got jerked around by shitty customer service people for the last three months. Would've gladly preferred to just gotten my money back and gone quietly enough.

Loving this double header action. Fs1 delivering the goods

So lampard and Gerard are going to play for mls this yr, right? They are just finishing the epl season? That tells me they are probably still decent. Nothing wrong with that, it's a long season.

Wait, Sunday is going to be triple headers? One espn game and two fs1 games?

Love it

You can argue that they're still decent, but it's a bummer as a fan. He undoubtedly will have much less in the tank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT