ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Franchise Four

Schmidt, Carlton, Maddox, Robin Roberts

Honorable Mention---Marty Bystrom (my buddy has become drinking buddies with him somehow)

Slow day, here are my picks for all teams:

Orioles - Ripken Jr, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Palmer
Red Sox - Ted Williams, Yaz, Pedro, Ortiz (can't go Cy Young - who thinks of him as a Red Sox player?)
Yankees - Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, Dimaggio
Rays - Crawford, Longoria, Pena, Price
Blue Jays - Halladay, Carter (f*ck him), Alomar, Bell
White Sox - Thomas, Konerko, Baines, Collins
Indians - Feller, Lajoie, Thome, Vizquel
Tigers - Cobb, Kaline, Greenberg, Cabrera
Royals - Brett, Macrea, Butler (write in) Saberhagan
Twins - Kilabrew, Puckett, Carew, Mauer (Walter Johnson I guess should make it since the Senators became the Twins?)
Astros - Ryan, Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman
Angels - Guerrero, Salmon, Ryan, Anderson (No Trout yet)
A's - Henderson, Eckersley, Reggie Jackson, McGwire (write in) (Jimmie Foxx and Lefty Grove are from the Philadelphia A's)
Mariners - Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson, Ichiro, Feliz Hernandez (slightly over Edgar Martinez)
Rangers - Ivan Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, Michael Young, Pamliero
Braves - Aaron, Maddux, Chipper Jones, Tom Glavin (just over Smoltz) (Warren Spahn a Boston Brave)
Marlins - Conine, Castillo, Pierre (write in), Sheffield
Mets - Seaver, Gooden, Hernandez, Carter
Nationals (Expos) - Raines, Carter, Guerrero, Zimmerman
Cubs - Banks, Sandberg, Dawson, Sosa
Reds - Bench, Morgan, Rose, Larkin
Brewers - Yount, Molitor, Braun, Geoff Jenkins (write in)
Pirates - Clemente, Wagner, Stargell, Kiner
Cardinals - Musial, Gibson, Pujols, Smith
Dbacks - Gonzalez, Johnson, Schilling, Finley
Rockies - Helton, Walker, Galarraga, Bichette
Dodgers - Koufax, Drysdale, Robinson, Valenzuela
Padres - Gwynn, Hoffman, Winfield, Garvey
Giants - Mays, Bonds, Marichal, McCovery (Christy Mathewson is a NY Giants)

This post was edited on 4/8 2:54 PM by NovaHoops2002

Originally posted by KennyTheKangaroo:
arak, you going with felix hernandez and ichiro over A-Rod?
Mariners were one of the tougher teams to be honest. I didn't even think about A Rod as he wasn't even one of the choices. I think Ichiro deserves to be on there with the number of hits he has and Felix Hernandez maybe be one of the only current players I feel confident in adding (except for teams with a shorter history) since he is that good. I guess I would take him off for A Rod maybe. Edgar Martinez was tough to omit too.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:
Keith Hernandez? He played 5 years on the downslope of his career with the Mets.

Phillies: Carlton, Schmidt, Rollins, Dick Allen (R.I.P. Bill Conlin)
Mea culpa. Some of these were tough as there were players that showed up on multiple teams. I tried to do a quick review of their stats etc. and make an informed decision.

Keith Hernandez? He played 5 years on the downslope of his career with the Mets.

Phillies: Carlton, Schmidt, Rollins, Dick Allen (R.I.P. Bill Conlin)
Sometimes it's more than just the stats.

1) Championship.
2) First Captain in Mets History.
3) Has been announcing for the team since 1999 -- and does a damn good job.
4) Even on the "downslope" of his career, he is 2nd all-time in Mets BA and 1st in OBP.
5) Besides from 1962-68, the late 70s and early 80s was the darkest time in Met history -- may be THE darkest. Trading for Keith helped turn everything around.

Originally posted by NovaHoops2002:

Originally posted by KennyTheKangaroo:
arak, you going with felix hernandez and ichiro over A-Rod?
Mariners were one of the tougher teams to be honest. I didn't even think about A Rod as he wasn't even one of the choices. I think Ichiro deserves to be on there with the number of hits he has and Felix Hernandez maybe be one of the only current players I feel confident in adding (except for teams with a shorter history) since he is that good. I guess I would take him off for A Rod maybe. Edgar Martinez was tough to omit too.
I did notice that you could click on each time. Leaving off A-Rod is very odd, especially considering one of the mariners included was jamie moyer

No gulpa necessary from you, arak. Was referring to NN1188's pick of keith. As a mets fan, he should know better.
Piazza>Fernando for the Dodgers.
Forgot the brewers: Yount, Molitor, Braun, ????
Gary Carter is more egregious. He had two good seasons with The Mets. Keith was worth 26.5 WAR in seven seasons with The Mets. Carter was 11.3 in five seasons.

Any list without David Wright deserves zero weight.

No gulpa necessary from you, arak. Was referring to NN1188's pick of keith. As a mets fan, he should know better.
Just added them. Agree, then I would throw in Geoff Jenkins as a write in.

Originally posted by NovaHoops2002:
Slow day, here are my picks for all teams:

Red Sox - Ted Williams, Yaz, Pedro, Ortiz (can't go Cy Young - who thinks of him as a Red Sox player?)
Clemens instead of Pedro?

This is a cool topic. Lots of ways to approach how to determine a franchise four

Originally posted by TheFoyeEffect:
Gary Carter is more egregious. He had two good seasons with The Mets. Keith was worth 26.5 WAR in seven seasons with The Mets. Carter was 11.3 in five seasons.

Any list without David Wright deserves zero weight.
I like David Wright because he is on my beloved Mets. He has nearly all of Met records, certainly a great Met. I just think he has work left to do for the Mets organization -- namely, win something.

Piazza has the pennant. Keith has contributed to the Mets for decades. Seaver is GMoAT.

Alfonzo, Ordonez, Mookie, Reyes, Beltran, Hundley, Franco, Koosman, Darling, Sid, Cone > Hernandez.
ND, I like you as a poster -- but this has to be trolling. Ordonez is my favorite Met of all time, I keep his baseball card on my desk at work. This isn't even close.

Alfonzo - Solid Met, one of my favorites. In the heart of the roid era (and he did prolly juice), he made 1 all star game. Just a good all-around player.
Ordonez - Greatest defender in Met history. Keith actually rivals him in his category -- likely #2.
Mookie - Solid Met, but he was never even an All-Star. Keith was an MVP.
Reyes - One of the better Mets of all time. Left disgracefully. Would've prolly been in the top 4 if it weren't for hamstring injuries
Beltran - Again, one of the better Mets of all time. But it will always come down to him looking at strike 3.
Hundley - Piazza kind of screwed him. But he was a .234 career hitter.
Franco - The Fran Dunphy of Basbeall. Compiler.
Koosman - Finished his career 140-137 with the Mets including a 20 game losing season. i know they say you have to be pretty good to lose 20 games, but that's not cutting it for Final 4. If you want to make the argument the Mets were bad during those years, please tell me about Seaver's numbers in that time (their playing time together overlaps almost perfectly).
Darling - Just a upper-middle-class man's Steve Traschsel. 1 ASG, got Cy Young votes once.
Sid - Really stretching here.
Cone - Decent career highlighted by 1 fantastic year. Not FF material.

You have to have Straw over Carter. Straw was ROY and 3 times he was top 6 in MVP all while actually with Mets, including 1988 when he should have won the MVP. He is absolutely first and foremost known as a Met. Straw also gets credit for post season accolades while Carter was present. Mets only got a couple of decent tail end years out of Carter. Instrumental to getting over the top, but not nearly as accomplished in a Met uniform as Straw.

Red Sawxies real pick: ted, Manny, Pedro, rocket

Dirt dawgies nation's pick: v-teck, trotter, schilling, jd drew

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT