ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the game last night and looking ahead to the Dance

TRIP4VU

VUSports.com All-American
Jul 11, 2001
First off, it was a great atmosphere last night at the Garden. I would argue that not one other league tournament has the buzz and electricity of our tournament. Not the ACC and certainly not the B1G. On a side note, did anybody see how few people were at the Temple-Memphis game? 221? Holy crap, is the AAC one pathetic league.

I don't want to make too many specific shout-outs because I'm bound to forget so many great members I saw this week. But it was great to see eric, TwoDecks, jiggie, BEEFER, jtvu, itvu, novaworm, novacat24, ct99(?) (you were sitting with us last night), Riggs and his lovely wife, VOICE, OldT, novaworm and his Brooklyn buddy, PeterN, NovaUSMC01 and his brother and of course watching the games with Big O and AQM. Fannon's brother joined us as well. I know I left out others!!!! What a great experience and I'm happy to call you fellow Villanova Basketball Nerds.

As I was enjoying last call with Big O last night I reflected on this passion we have called Villanova Basketball. It brings all sorts of us toghether - many from different backgrounds, ages, lifestyles, careers, etc, but we all share this passion and when we are together it's a special knd of fun. I had many other friends who were there from college who are your typical Nova fans (nothing wrong with that, BTW), who were there purely for social reasons and I would see them, chat for a bit, then move back to the comfort of my fellow nerds. I love it. Those other friends can only talk Nova hoops for a little bit then want to move on. After what this team accomplished last night and this weekend, I couldn't think of anyone else I wanted to be with to experience it all. Great seeing all of you and I will need a week to recover.... just in time for the Round of 32 game!!!!!

About the game and going forward. Providence showed the script on how you beat us: A very active zone with long athletic players who run out past the 3 point line and take away those shots. They are asking our players to do two things: Put the ball on the floor and attack or feed the high post. Everything else is meant to be shut-off: Shooting open 3s, ball movement that creates the open shots AND deny the entry pass to DO. Providence did just that last night very effectively. Now, having said that, there are very few teams who can guard us that way. Namely, Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, and must be a few others.

Two things that must happen for us to successfully adjust to those types of teams:

1) JVP must be an answer at the hight post and if he's not, move Hilliard there. Last night Prov was laying off Pinkston giving him wide open foul line and baseline jumpers. He either passed on the shots or missed badly (the baseline airball that led to a transition 3). When Jay finally he realized he needed to make a change, he put Hilliard there and he hit an elbow jumper then the D collapsed on him next time (because he isn't JVP and they respected his shot) and he kicked it out to Hart for an OPEN 3 which was huge. Having Hilliard there lossened up their D and we started to score. We win that game handily if Hilliard doesn't foul out (man, were those dumb fouls). But going forward, Jay has to hope JVP can either make those shots enough to get the defense to respect him or JVP just needs to do a better job of drawing the defense with the drive and use the pass. Otherwise, I would expect to see Hilliard there again vs. these type of teams.

2) Use the dribble-drive! How ironic is it that Jay made his name by getting guards who could drive to the basket and everything we generated as an offense was off the dribble-drive, but now it's off the pass and only driving when the lane opens? Now I find myself begging our guys to put the ball on the deck and attack in games like the Prov one. Too funny, but also a little concerning. This is the other way you beat that kind of defense. A strong "rip" of the ball and attack.

I hope this doen't sound like nit-picking, because I am still pinching myself about the season we are experiencing. I'm just thinking as we look to a Elite 8 or Final 4 game. These are the types of concerns I would have in games like that. These are "uptown" problems to be sure, but I want this team to cut the nets this year on April 6!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News