ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova Football's Mount Rushmore

Howie Long, Brian Westbrook, Brian Finneran, Brett Gordon.

id be ok with Ventrone or Szczur

You HAVE to have Al Atkinson on there and not Gordon - not sure I'd have Finneran on there either.
Going somewhat old school, it should be Atkinson, Billy Joe, Long and Westbrook.

Reactions: ericw and Nova69
You HAVE to have Al Atkinson on there and not Gordon - not sure I'd have Finneran on there either.
Going somewhat old school, it should be Atkinson, Billy Joe, Long and Westbrook.

Exactly my line-up. too.

For those too young to remember Billy Joe:

William "Billy" Joe (born October 14, 1940) is a former collegiate and professional American football player and former college football head coach. He was the American Football League Rookie of the Year in 1963 with the AFL's Denver Broncos. In 1965, he was traded to the Buffalo Billsfor their legendary fullback, Cookie Gilchrist, and made the AFL All-Star Team, starting for the Bills in their 1965 AFL Championship victory over theSan Diego Chargers.

Joe later was a successful college head coach for 33 seasons. He coached at Cheyney University of Pennsylvania from 1972 to 1978, Central State University from 1981 to 1993, Florida A&M University from 1994 to 2004, and Miles College from 2007 to 2010. Joe achieved his greatest success at Central State, where his teams won 2 NAIA National Football Championships in 1990 and 1992 and made many appearances in the NAIA football playoffs during the 1980s and 1990s. He teams at Florida A&M have made various appearances in the Division I-AA (now FCS) playoffs during the 1990s and early 2000s.

In addition, Joe has won five straight Black college football national championships with Central State University (1986,1987,1988,1989,1990) and one Black college football national championship with Florida A&M (1998). In 2007 he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

The number of players who were coached by Joe who went on to the NFL/CFL/Arena League are:

After a two-season absence as a coach, Joe was named head football coach at Miles College, a Division II school in Fairfield, Alabama on December 12, 2007.[1] He resigned in October 2010, citing poor health. Assistant coach Patrick Peasant took over the team on an interim basis.[2]

He finished his career with 243 wins 133 losses, 2 ties. His number of victories are second only to Eddie Robinson among coaches at historically black colleges and universities.

Howie Long, Brian Westbrook, Brian Finneran, Brett Gordon.

id be ok with Ventrone or Szczur
Gang-thanks for getting this started. Brings back memories. Also shows how young many of our posters are. Players like Billy Joe and Atkinson are not known to the youngsters. BTW Cardashin thanks for sharing the info on Billy.
Howie Long and Brian Westbrook come to mind right away.
All Atkinson needs to be included. BTW Al is sick. Needs prayers.
In stead of Finnernan I go with Mike Siani.
Long Westbrook Atkinson Siani

Reactions: ericw
I'm with you with Siani. I watched him in HS as a little guy tear it up in the single wing offense. Just not sure if I put him over

Westbrook, Long, Joe, & Atkinson.

What if JR wins back-to-back Payton awards?

I too would go with Siani over Finneran, but still wouls stick with Long, BW, Al A and Billie Joe.
Understand that Al has some sort of cancer and is struggling - one hell of a fb player.

I too would go with Siani over Finneran, but still wouls stick with Long, BW, Al A and Billie Joe.
Understand that Al has some sort of cancer and is struggling - one hell of a fb player.
These six are all worthy contenders. However Long and Atkinson became much more notable during their pro careers. If college play is a more important criteria the other four would be the choices. All great offensive players that were always in the headlines. Jr's story will be written next season.

My four-Long, Westbrook, Finneran and Robertson.

Never saw Joe, Siani or Atkinson play so can't add them.
Central you and I both enjoy the exploits of JR. But his time for discussion in this topic is one year away. A super year we hope.

Mike Siani (born May 27, 1950) is a former professional American footballplayer who played wide receiver for nine seasons for the Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Colts. He was a first round draft pick of the Raiders in 1972 from Villanova. Before that, Siani was a high school football star with the New Dorp High School "Centrals", in New Dorp, Staten Island, New York, graduating in 1968. Siani has also spent several years as an indoor football coach for several teams, being named the interim head coach for the Myrtle Beach Stingrays, Fayetteville Guard and Florence Phantoms. He was named the head coach prior to the season for the Atlantic City CardSharks in 2004, and the Richmond Raiders in the American Indoor Football Association in 2010. Siani also spent time as a scout for the New Orleans Saints and was the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach for the Princeton Tigers in 2009.

9 years in NFL. He had 158 receptions for 2618 yards & 17 TDs.

Last edited:
Mike Siani (born May 27, 1950) is a former professional American footballplayer who played wide receiver for nine seasons for the Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Colts. He was a first round draft pick of the Raiders in 1972 from Villanova. Before that, Siani was a high school football star with the New Dorp High School "Centrals", in New Dorp, Staten Island, New York, graduating in 1968. Siani has also spent several years as an indoor football coach for several teams, being named the interim head coach for the Myrtle Beach Stingrays, Fayetteville Guard and Florence Phantoms. He was named the head coach prior to the season for the Atlantic City CardSharks in 2004, and the Richmond Raiders in the American Indoor Football Association in 2010. Siani also spent time as a scout for the New Orleans Saints and was the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach for the Princeton Tigers in 2009.

9 years in NFL. He had 158 receptions for 2618 yards & 17 TDs.

BTW Mike was a hell of a baseball player.
His football teammate at Nova, LB John Babinecz was drafted by the Cowboys . He had a few years in the NFL. Went to med school, became an MD. These guys had a super season in 1970 going 9-2. Beat Maryland, Santa Clara, Delaware, Buffalo, Holy Cross, Xavier, Navy, West Chester and Temple. Only lost to BC, and at Virginia Tech. Came back in 71 to beat Maryland again while tying Temple.

In an above post about Mike Siani I mentioned the great 1970 team. Neglected to mention that was Lou Ferry's first season as head coach. As a player Lou was an All-American. had a great pro career. VUcat1 you made some great points about Lou. I am willing to bet 80% of the Villanova football posters on this board don't know who Lou Ferry was. Shame. Villanova has a long ,proud football tradition.

Uncle Bill. Atkinson was the starting middle linebacker on the championship jets along with Broadway Joe. Billy Joe was on that team too. I think Lou Ferry used to live under the stands at Villanova, a great Wildcat. Two special VU coaches, Artu Raimo and Alex Bell had been former roomates at VU. Bell coached our Sun Bowl and Liberty Bowl teams in 61 and 62. Both coaches had a number of excellent seasons coaching different Wildcat teams.

Of those I've seen play for VU in person: #1 Howie, #2 BWest. No problem picking those 2. After that I have Szczur at #3 and Finneran at #4.
Best of the rest (1AA era): Curtis Eller, Drew Gordon, Ray Ventrone, Chris Whitney. I'm also partial to a slew of All-Americans starting with OL Paul Beredelli, DL Mickey Watson, DB Chris Hunt, P George Winslow. If I had to make 1 kick for all the marbles, my choice would be Casey Hannon.

I wish I had seen Mike Siani, Frank Polito, Al Atkinson, and Billy Joe.
Going back a bit farther, how about Joe Rogers, Lou Ferry, and many names I'm omitting who were in the trenches against A&M, Georgia and a host of wins over big-time programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT