ADVERTISEMENT

Wedding cake

No, I'm implying that those are examples used to prove a point about certain people's view points and having to do business with opposing view points. You may not like the frequency that they're used but they certainly make the point. Gay's are not being compared to Nazi's, Klansmen, or dogs, they are being compared to opposed viewpoints.

The one thing I will point out in the comparisons being a Nazi and a Klansman is a choice. The better comparison would be not providing a business service to someone based upon something they can't change....heritage for example.

Originally posted by TheFoyeEffect:
Nothing encourages hateful behavior and backwards thinking more than forcing them to engage in commerce with people they hate. Unless we are talking about basic human rights, which do not include pizza and wedding cake, we should not force people to do these things.
Foye: Are you saying you are against the Civil Rights act or you just don't think gays should be considered a protected class?

Originally posted by Fat Wanker:
Nothing encourages hateful behavior and backwards thinking more than forcing them to engage in commerce with people they hate. Unless we are talking about basic human rights, which do not include pizza and wedding cake, we should not force people to do these things.
Foye: Are you saying you are against the Civil Rights act or you just don't think gays should be considered a protected class?
I'm against Title II and I have reservations about Title VII. In terms of treatment by the government though, I absolutely think that gays should be considered a protected class.

Just make the cake, and tell them to go down the street and buy their own mini cake-topper to put on top of it.

Originally posted by novabball2:
i agree that any private company has the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason
I disagree

whites-only.png

That's the bottom line, b$. The old adage - you reap what you sew. If you want to run your business by shutting off a potential segment of potential customers, you should have the right to do it and, then, suffer the consequences of your actions. Running a business is hard enough without having big brother or some lame lobbying group telling you what you can and cannot due. When they start paying some of your bills, you can give them a vote.

Excellent points, WC. The other thing being passed off as "fact" in this thread is that the bakery owners said they "hate" gays. They absolutely NEVER said that. It's just being thrown around by people who have an agenda. The world and our country are going to hell and we're talking about wedding cakes for gays! Pretty laughable if it weren't so sad.

Originally posted by tjc3844:
w. If you want to run your business by shutting off a potential segment of potential customers, you should have the right to do it
I disagree

dc24d9517345fe9c39d91a9ea665d647.jpg

Originally posted by qwe015:

w. If you want to run your business by shutting off a potential segment of potential customers, you should have the right to do it
I disagree

ec
Agreed, and why are we still having this debate in 2015?

Amazing a company would do this.

Still remember the gym I used to workout at in San Diego way back when. A bunch of gays started working out there. One of the straight members was busting the owners balls about it. Owner simply replied: "Their money is green too."

I feel the same way, but private businesses should be able to engage in commerce as they see fit. If they decide to be stupid and limit their customer base, we should encourage that rather than forcing them to serve people, which is essentially validating their stupidity.

I feel the same way, but private businesses should be able to engage in commerce as they see fit.
I disagree

WhiteTradeOnlyLancasterOhio.jpg

This post was edited on 4/4 12:29 AM by qwe015

This post was edited on 4/4 12:30 AM by qwe015

Foye for a smart guy, this is by far the dumbest thing you've ever said. There is so much more going into it than just a dumb business owner.

Originally posted by selmore1:
Foye for a smart guy, this is by far the dumbest thing you've ever said. There is so much more going into it than just a dumb business owner.
I'm actually starting to agree with TFE on this one. His best argument so far was for a bakery owned by gay people being forced, by law, to bake members of the Westboro Baptist community a cake.

Again, can someone please explain why there needs to be a a written law about this -- as opposed to just an unwritten law where business owners just say they are too busy to serve.

Originally posted by NovaNation1188:

Originally posted by selmore1:
I'm actually starting to agree with TFE on this one. His best argument so far was for a bakery owned by gay people being forced, by law, to bake members of the Westboro Baptist community a cake.

Again, can someone please explain why there needs to be a a written law about this -- as opposed to just an unwritten law where business owners just say they are too busy to serve.
9a7a7167b48e66d0c9f4d9f0d413ae26.jpg

as someone else mentioned-

would this outrage be happening if it were a gay bakery owner refusing to make a cake for a straight couple?

Originally posted by YourBuddyRayhad:
Well, that ridiculous hypothetical would never happen, so I guess we will never know
Posted from Rivals Mobile
well I'm convinced.

no one is saying what the people are doing by refusing them service is the right thing to do. I think thats what a lot of you guys are missing.

You dont think a whites only movie theater would be successful?
This was my favorite comment in this thread.

My 2 cents on this issues is that in some communities across the south businesses would not lose much money, but at the same time, I feel like these communities are ones that a gay couple isn't trying to get married in-so they probably haven't had an opportunity to turn down such business. Given how the PC police tar and feather anyone that comes close to offending anyone, I've got to imagine today's American society would essentially self police itself without specific laws-but there are certain corners of this country without these "checks and balances".

This post was edited on 4/4 5:51 PM by NorCalVU10

You're right NorCal. Next thing you know these damn homosexuals down here will want to go to restaurants naked like they do in the "enlightened" city of San Francisco.

Originally posted by NorCalVU10:
You dont think a whites only movie theater would be successful?
This was my favorite comment in this thread.

My 2 cents on this issues is that in some communities across the south businesses would not lose much money, but at the same time, I feel like these communities are ones that a gay couple isn't trying to get married in-so they probably haven't had an opportunity to turn down such business. Given how the PC police tar and feather anyone that comes close to offending anyone, I've got to imagine today's American society would essentially self police itself without specific laws-but there are certain corners of this country without these "checks and balances".

This post was edited on 4/4 5:51 PM by NorCalVU10
Any business in the south that refused to serve blacks would stand to lose a lot of money. Of the six states that have the highest percentage of black residents, five of them are in the Deep South. Any business that automatically denies service to 27-37% of their residents isn't going to do very well.

You're right NorCal. Next thing you know these damn homosexuals down here will want to go to restaurants naked like they do in the "enlightened" city of San Francisco.
?

I'm from the north but now live in the south, Liz. Just reacting to another one of those general broad brush swipes taken at the south all the time, most of which is completely untrue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT