ADVERTISEMENT

10 second rule now exists for women

ak3883

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Looks like the rules panel added the 10 second backcourt rule to the women's game, effective this upcoming season.. .we seemed like we always took our sweet time advancing the ball, can't do that anymore.

its a good rule, speeds up the game and allows defenses to press with one more opportunity for a turnover. Against more athletic teams (basically every team in the BE less Providence), Harry would hold the ball in the back court for 20 seconds, run a quick play and get a look at a three. Cant do that now. With 30 seconds on the shot clock why not push the ball over anyway and start your offense earlier in the shorter clock.

We are recuiting guards with more quickness; that should help.
We had years when our dribbler taking the ball up the floor would turn
her back to her opponent and slowly take the the dribble up the court.
It's going to be a problem against pressure since Harry loves big
spaces between passers and long cross court passses. That has taken
time to execute because players (previously) had to be in speciall spots.

Ahhh, WhiteCat - I have Courtney Mix indelibly imprinted in my mind. Backing her defender up all the way down the court, giving the ball up to the point guard and heading for the corner, getting the return pass for an isolation play and backing her player down to the basket for a layup or short turnaround. Best I ever saw at that.

I agree that Harry's strategy against pressing defenses will need a wholesale re-vamp. Than being said, we won't have to face some of the toughest presses in UConn, Rutgers, South Florida, etc. anymore. Doubtful that we will ever lead the country in least turnovers anymore, but let's see how that plays out.

good point, it wont hurt us as much in the new conference. good to see Nova finally be able to compete for a conf champ. that being said i still want to see the mens and womens teams play ND annually.

I don't think Muffet loves playing us. We give ND fits. Gin's different. The Coyer twins, Kate and the incoming frosh from NJ are all pretty fast and skilled guards. I'm not sure about our red shirt frosh.

Uncle Bill's got that right. Muffet said after our game last year that she has already scheduled a vist to Penn next year and looking to book a future visit to play St. Joe's. She pretty much said she wouldn't be playing Nova. Can't blame any top-notch team for not wanting to play us. Not much upside to doing so, and a potential for downside for losing or not rolling up an impressive score.

Harry and Gino are somewhat friendly, but don't look to see UConn continue a rivalry with Nova either. Probalby the same feeling with Stringer at Rutgers.

I believe on three consecutive years Harry
upset the defending NCAA champions. Was ND
one of them?

Right you are WhiteCat. In addition to beating UConn in 2003 and 2004, they beat defending national champ Notre Dame twice (home and away) in 2002. To be honest, ND had lost a lot from their 2001 championship team, including MVP Ruth Riley. Not only were the 2003 and 2004 UConn teams defending national champs, but they went on to win the national championship in both of those years, with their last loss each season to Nova. The 2003 team lost only that one to Nova (ending the then record 70 straight wins) after having lost 4 first round WNBA picks from 2002, with Taurasi the only returning starter.

The 10 sec rule is a beautiful thing from where I sit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT