ADVERTISEMENT

- 17 F

LizReed

Bleeds Villanova Blue
Aug 29, 2001
That is the temperature right now in Big Boi country. Nostrils freeze immediately on getting out of your car.

SPG---any recs for dealing with this?

Originally posted by LizReed:
That is the temperature right now in Big Boi country. Nostrils freeze immediately on getting out of your car.

SPG---any recs for dealing with this?
Easy, don't live in Michigan.

Catholic schools closed in CoP, but Nutter opened the public schools

Fairfax County all schools closed. I'm convinced they have so many snow days built in and feel they need to use them. Closed for being cold. 2nd time this year.

Wow. No experience with that.

The construction guys seem to like the hoodie. If you don't care how you look and can fit one of those under your jacket it helps. Not like you're going to sweat through it on a commute, so cotton is good.

Hat. See anybody out there without a hat? Some guys don't like to mess up their hairdoo. Then there's all the other stuff; balaclava, neoprene masks, all the skiing type stuff (wind).

Definitely long underwear. The lightweight, wicking, tech-fabrics are cool enough to wear inside during the workday.

Mittens work better than gloves.

Suit up and look ridiculous, better than being cold.

Throwing a pair of basketball shorts on under your pants keeps you significantly warmer outside but doesn't have you sweating and uncomfortable outside.

Originally posted by Nipsy Hussl:

Cant see myself sharing a perspective of a man wearing mittens.
I hear you.

Objectively, a far superior product to gloves.

I have MLD eVent Rain Mitts (can't get wet when it's really cold). Pairs up with REI Elements jacket/pants. None of it's insulated, but it's definitely its own layer. After walking for 10-15 minutes in single digits, you'll likely take off fleece because it's too hot.

I have lightweight tech mittens under the shells. The combination is much warmer than gloves. Hands are toasty, despite neither being "winter" gear.

Would definitely bring them out for -17F.

Philly's newest tourist attraction:

Building-Frozen-Lead.jpg

are murders and violent crimes down in Philly? those people dont like the cold.

when its hot the crime rate goes up. so when its cold it has to go down right?

Originally posted by novabball2:

Yes, have you ever seen the murder rate in Chicago in April?

Originally posted by spg109876ers:
Originally posted by Nipsy Hussl:

Cant see myself sharing a perspective of a man wearing mittens.
I hear you.

Objectively, a far superior product to gloves.

I have MLD eVent Rain Mitts (can't get wet when it's really cold). Pairs up with REI Elements jacket/pants. None of it's insulated, but it's definitely its own layer. After walking for 10-15 minutes in single digits, you'll likely take off fleece because it's too hot.

I have lightweight tech mittens under the shells. The combination is much warmer than gloves. Hands are toasty, despite neither being "winter" gear.

Would definitely bring them out for -17F.
This is what I'm talking about. That's a 97 MPH heater on the black.

Serious question: how much time do you guys spend outside on a given day?

If you wake up, get into your car in your garage, drive to work with the heated seat on, park in a lot and walk into the office, the only real exposure you have is when walking from your car to the office. Unless you work at Costco and have to park at the back of the lot that's what, 30 seconds max? Maybe another 30 seconds if you have to take the garbage out in the morning.

The only way I can reasonably understand people spending more time outside in this weather is if (1) they have a dog that needs walking, rather than just letting it run around the backyard with an electric fence; (2) you are poor and you take some sort of public transportation and have to wait at a bus stop or train station; or (3) you are poor and don't keep your car in a garage.

If you're out skiing or whatever that's one thing, but do you really need to get suited up for arctic exploration to go about your daily routine?

This post was edited on 2/20 11:16 AM by Villanova U

We've shot up to -2 (11:20 EST). Can probably shut this thread down now. The moment is gone.

Originally posted by novabball2:

Philadelphia homicides in the first fifty days of the year:

2015: 332014: 412013: 292012: 482011: 532010: 34

Originally posted by Villanova U:
Serious question: how much time do you guys spend outside on a given day?

The only way I can reasonably understand people spending more time outside in this weather is if (1) they have a dog that needs walking, rather than just letting it run around the backyard with an electric fence; (2) you are poor and you take some sort of public transportation and have to wait at a bus stop or train station; or (3) you are poor and don't keep your car in a garage.

This post was edited on 2/20 11:16 AM by Villanova U
Since I live in a city and am semi-poor (don't own a car), I'm always walking/taking the bus or subway. I also just got transferred to a project down in the Brooklyn Naval Yards which of course is about 12 minute walk from the closest subway (unless you're lucky enough to see a bus pull up). Let me tell you, this month has been awful but this morning was atrocious. Got some serious windburn and my hands were basically frozen when I made it to the site.

Originally posted by adp98:
I consider SPG more of a Greg Maddux rather than Aroldis Chapman.

I agree with Merc on this one. Who does this REALLY impact? Dockworkers and running addicts that refuse to use treadmills or alternative cardio workouts?

6:55 this morning mrs. adp had me at the dry cleaners to pick up her clothes (yes, I'm an errand boy). Amazing how this cold is impacting poor people. My car was toasty as was the ride from the elevator to the office at work. Unfortunately I have to walk one block for lunch. Hopefully I make it. Doesn't seem all that bad unless you're out doing something stupid such as skiing.

I lied. Just walked 2.5 blocks: it's cold.

Ducked out the garage at 8:00.........paper was a good 7-8 feet short of the garage......temp. in Bucks County 1 degree. 3 quick steps outside.......that's it for the day.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:

Originally posted by adp98:
I consider SPG more of a Greg Maddux rather than Aroldis Chapman.

I agree with Merc on this one. Who does this REALLY impact? Dockworkers and running addicts that refuse to use treadmills or alternative cardio workouts?
If you park outside it's terrible. You have to wait for the car to warm up before you get any relief. Normally you can just fight through the cold but when it's sub-zero the car struggles too. I was outside Chicago this week where it was -5 / -28 with the windchill yesterday. You could feel the resistance in the power steering and transmission until the car warmed up. It was a rental so who gives a shit, I just drove on and made the 10 minute ride to work before the car got a chance to warm up.

I have the plumbers here now. I woke up to frozen pipes. It went down to 6 degrees here last night.

Originally posted by HereComeTheCats:
If you park outside it's terrible. You have to wait for the car to warm up before you get any relief. Normally you can just fight through the cold but when it's sub-zero the car struggles too. I was outside Chicago this week where it was -5 / -28 with the windchill yesterday. You could feel the resistance in the power steering and transmission until the car warmed up. It was a rental so who gives a shit, I just drove on and made the 10 minute ride to work before the car got a chance to warm up.
The world is SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL and it's worthwhile to whine about the 5 minutes of coldness while your car warms up?

Love that someone just referenced the wind chill when mentioning their car had trouble starting. So funny.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT