ADVERTISEMENT

A Star is born RSFR QB Zack Bednarczyk leads comeback win over Hens 28-21

PCH

VUSports.com All-American
Jul 14, 2001
Unbelievable on gametracker, John Robinson goes out of game (injury?) and backup QB Bednarczykr (a real football name) leads Cats to 2 come from behind TDs. one passing and clincher a 21 yd run and 2 pt. conversion by Zack. Co-captains Don Cherry and Reggie Paris drive the stake into the Hen's heart with big sacks of Delaware QB. Another game e for the recordbooks. V for Villanova.

Some of the stats from the game. Cats lead in yardage 355 to 299. 265 yds passing. JR 14-24 for 208 yds 1 TD before he left game. Zack B. 4-6, 57 yds 1 td passing, 1 running (21 yds) ,, one 2 pt conversion in the 6 minutes he played. Hens had possession for 35.31 minutes, Cats only 24.29. Kevin Gulyas WR was go to guy with 8 receptions for 152 yds and I TD among many big plays.

If JR is not seriously injured maybe he and Zack can be in on the same plays at times to bedevil the opposition. Both obviously can run and pass well.

Last edited:
It not just that we beat the Hens so much it's the way we do it. Broken hearts all the time!

Reactions: Bobby Dix
Some of the stats from the game. Cats lead in yardage 355 to 299. 265 yds passing. JR 14-24 for 208 yds 1 TD before he left game. Zack B. 4-6, 57 yds 1 td passing, 1 running (21 yds) ,, one 2 pt conversion in the 6 minutes he played. Hens had possession for 35.31 minutes, Cats only 24.29....

That 11 minute differential (and more so) occurred in a horrendous 3rd qtr where our D seemed to have no answer in stopping UD. I think we had 2 possessions and one 1st down (probably UD 13- VU 2 time of possession in 3rd qtr).

The way we responded in the 4th qtr was fanastic and what we need for 60 minutes per game rest of season....

Last edited:
That 11 minute differential (and more so) occurred in a horrendous 3rd qtr where our D seemed to have no answer in stopping UD. I think we had 2 possessions and one 1st down (probably UD 13- VU 2 time of possession in 3rd qtr).

The way we responded in the 4th qtr was fanastic and what we need for 60 minutes per game rest of season....
Zack did great but I fear that Robinson is going to be laid up for quite a while. Didn't like the big ice pack on the right knee; also didn't like the way he went down before a UD player touched him. Hope for the best.

John's knee was injured a few plays earlier before he went down. He got pushed out of bounds and his right knee landed on the track. I wonder if this was an ongoing issue, as he hasn't seemed to have the edge that he had the previous two seasons. Hopefully his recovery is quick. Zach looked fantastic, but JR is the best player in FCS.

Bednarczyk easily picked out receivers who had seemingly been unable to get open for Robertson. I would like to see Bednarczyk play an entire game to assess whether he is the real thing.

Zack did great but I fear that Robinson is going to be laid up for quite a while. Didn't like the big ice pack on the right knee; also didn't like the way he went down before a UD player touched him. Hope for the best.
The ice was removed by games end. JR went to mid-field for hand shake and then the Battle of the Blue trophy celebration with his leg encased in a body(leg) stocking. Overheard by a buddy of mine who was sitting right behind JR's family, a VU staff person came to them after John's injury and said it looked like a sprain not a tear. It is not tracking like a tear. IMHO a sprain might mean JR is ready for that big game with W&M on Oct.10. Misses Penn and Cats cruise without him. Then Cats have 16 days off. Good luck John.

Reactions: DCFRANKLIN
The first time a number of us had to see Bednarczyk was at the football barbecue before the season began when he got some late playing time. It was then that we got the feeling that we likely had a talented back up to John Robertson. It's also likely that Zack got a decent amount of PT during the summer while Robinson was interning on Wall Street. Zack definitely delivered today.

Delaware had some big time linemen with seniors blending with their younger players. Their Rfrosh QB played some tough FB too. Great win.

Bednarczyk easily picked out receivers who had seemingly been unable to get open for Robertson. I would like to see Bednarczyk play an entire game to assess whether he is the real thing.
You will see Bednarczyk play an entire game Thursday night vs Penn. Not a good test because Penn stinks. But we will get a good look at the kid.

Reactions: DCFRANKLIN
UE, excited to see the kid play again. I was at the game today and he looked really sharp. He can run and pass. To come in during crunch time like that and get it done the way that kid did was truly impressive, not to mention he got in the end zone for the extra point as well.

UE, were we already expecting him to be Robertson's replacement next year or is that still to be decided?

PS - listened to the W&M vs. Virginia game on the way home from Villanova today. W&M really played the Cavs tough today and had a chance to win it. They will be tough.

UE, excited to see the kid play again. I was at the game today and he looked really sharp. He can run and pass. To come in during crunch time like that and get it done the way that kid did was truly impressive, not to mention he got in the end zone for the extra point as well.

UE, were we already expecting him to be Robertson's replacement next year or is that still to be decided?
Groomed as JRs replacement. But some good QBs are in the pipeline.
I think I may have said it in another thread, I think W&M is the best team in CAA at this time. (at this time
Hope you enjoyed your visit to campus.

Zach is a player. No surprise he came in and performed like he did. Next year won't be much of a drop off at the QB position.

News report said JR will have an MRI Monday. Hope knee injury heals quickly. Still think JR and ZB should line up together for some plays if possible. ZB is breaking in like JR did as a RS Frosh in 2012, turning the program around.

Zach is a player. No surprise he came in and performed like he did. Next year won't be much of a drop off at the QB position.
Coach Talley's remarks when Cats signed Zach,"Like John, he fits our option scheme with a spread offense, and he is the first lefthander we have had in my 29 years. He is very athletic and isn't a pocket drop-back guy." BTW at that signing day in Feb.2014 Coach raved about Taurus Phillips. He was a running back in high school but Cats will use him as a slot receiver ,where his running ability can still be showcased. Nebraska was really after Phillips. Another recruit who had interest from FBS schools was DB Rasaan Stewart. All in all Coach really liked the 14 recruits Cats signed in Feb 2014. We are seeing many of these signees on the field this season.

I really liked the poise that Zach Bednarczyk showed in yesterday's win over Delaware. Did a great job in running the offense and I feel very good about the future after John Robertson is gone. I hope John is okay and that the Cats get him back healthy.

Another blessing now was that JR wasn't in camp this summer. Zach took majority of snaps and obviously was much more prepared to come in and do what he did.

The kid is very talented. Future is bright for anyone who thought the program would take a substantial dip next season.

i thought we were "horrendous" in Sat.'s 3rd qtr.

Then I watched the Eagles for 4 quarters on Sunday. They easily played 10x worse the whole game. 3 turnovers in 12 consecutive plays with the game still winnable was probably, but not definitely, the lowlight...

I am going to say it and I know I will take some heat for it. We have not been able to get the offense going all season. I know we have only played 3 games but the best we have looked was when ZB was leading the charge. I have watched every game so far this season and I was at the game Saturday. I watched the replay on Sunday. I am also aware of our 400 yards against Fordham, but only getting it in the end zone twice is not getting it done.

JR just does not look like him old self, he just doesn't. I love these players as well, but I know what I am watching. There are certainly flashes, but his passing has not been very crisp yet, he has thrown behind receivers on a number of a occasions and his running is definitely more reserved than it once was. I don't know if the coaches are calling for him not to run, or the concussion shook him up, but JR's offense looks better when he runs more, and we just have not seen that this year.

I love JR, but again, our offense looked the best it has all year under ZB. I am hoping when Robertson gets back we will start to see more than just flashes of the old JR, but his explosiveness has not been evident this far into the season.

I am going to say it and I know I will take some heat for it. We have not been able to get the offense going all season. I know we have only played 3 games but the best we have looked was when ZB was leading the charge. I have watched every game so far this season and I was at the game Saturday. I watched the replay on Sunday. I am also aware of our 400 yards against Fordham, but only getting it in the end zone twice is not getting it done.

JR just does not look like him old self, he just doesn't. I love these players as well, but I know what I am watching. There are certainly flashes, but his passing has not been very crisp yet, he has thrown behind receivers on a number of a occasions and his running is definitely more reserved than it once was. I don't know if the coaches are calling for him not to run, or the concussion shook him up, but JR's offense looks better when he runs more, and we just have not seen that this year.

I love JR, but again, our offense looked the best it has all year under ZB. I am hoping when Robertson gets back we will start to see more than just flashes of the old JR, but his explosiveness has not been evident this far into the season.

I hate to say it, but I sort of agree with you. I went to the first 2 games and watched the 3rd on tv and JR isn't playing ball like he usually does. Last year this time he was playing with only 1 arm and was able to make all kinds of plays. As good as our defense is, the offense has really good players but you wouldn't know it. JR throwing has been off. He isn't reading his pass progressions well. He looks for 1 or 2 people and than throws the ball away or run, meanwhile there would be open receivers.

ZB played with the team and looked confident and comfortable probably because he practiced with them all summer. I love JR but there seems to be a decline. Maybe his heart isn't in it after winning the highest award. He's reached the top echelon of this level of football. I can understand him being hesitant and not wanting to get injured. That being said, when he runs, it's awesome to see. especially in person. I am praying for his speedy recovery. He is a great kid!!!

You will see Bednarczyk play an entire game Thursday night vs Penn. Not a good test because Penn stinks. But we will get a good look at the kid.
I was telling some people that I was hoping Zach would play vs. UPenn. With the short week, and JR's injury, I didn't see any reason for JR to play against The Quakers.

I hate to say it, but I sort of agree with you. I went to the first 2 games and watched the 3rd on tv and JR isn't playing ball like he usually does. Last year this time he was playing with only 1 arm and was able to make all kinds of plays. As good as our defense is, the offense has really good players but you wouldn't know it. JR throwing has been off. He isn't reading his pass progressions well. He looks for 1 or 2 people and than throws the ball away or run, meanwhile there would be open receivers.

ZB played with the team and looked confident and comfortable probably because he practiced with them all summer. I love JR but there seems to be a decline. Maybe his heart isn't in it after winning the highest award. He's reached the top echelon of this level of football. I can understand him being hesitant and not wanting to get injured. That being said, when he runs, it's awesome to see. especially in person. I am praying for his speedy recovery. He is a great kid!!!

I have not followed the team as closely as a lot of other posters but when I see JR this year I see a QB with at this time (3 games and Underwood out or recovering) no other consistent and effective offensive (running, receiving) threats to force defenses from their concentration on JR. Gulyas and McClenton do show promise though and we're 2-1 with a satisfying UD win under our belts

One thing holding JR back this early season is that he did not throw or do other football related things this past summer. He lifted only. Most college football players get together during the summer,informally. John did not. NOT blaming him at all. He worked very hard on a Wall Street internship. Those are the facts.
Nova's offense just might start to fire up with Zack at QB.

One thing holding JR back this early season is that he did not throw or do other football related things this past summer. He lifted only. Most college football players get together during the summer,informally. John did not. NOT blaming him at all. He worked very hard on a Wall Street internship. Those are the facts.
Nova's offense just might start to fire up with Zack at QB.

Blessing in disguise is Bednarczyk got the 1st team snaps all summer camp. The unit & him were very comfortable in the Delaware game.

Bednarczyk will be a all- CAA level QB in his years ahead. He's that good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT