ADVERTISEMENT

ACC expansion ... next wave

ROMEOCAT

All VUSports.com Team
Aug 11, 2002
Were the ACC to expand as a result of 1-2 of it's teams defecting to the SEC (I can't see Univ. of Fla. being happy with BOTH Fla. State & Miami joining, so I think FSU & Clemson will go), people have debated the likes of UConn ... but now I wonder if Temple with the Philly market wouldn't be more desirable. Also, no one has mentioned Old Dominion & their plans to upgrade to BCS level. IMO, BC would not be thrilled to add UConn to the ACC. It would be even more competition for them recruiting-wise. I think VU has pretty much finished with it's aspirations to upgrade football. They are happy where they are at; with like-minded schools where big-time basketball rules, & I'm happy having a FBS football team, even if it costs millions to maintain. It enhances the image of VU where good athletics & great academics can co-exist. Go Cats!

HELLO
Villanova is not BIg time in basketball anymore.
Who decided paying $ 90 million for Big East name.
It is what it is mid-major.
If these people had any regard for sports, they would be poised to move up.
Delusional. fox is garbage has overpaid for substandard product.
Inflated tv contract is not sustainable.
Whenever Jay departs, program will sink to bottom feeding mid major.
It makes sense to pour money in Johnny DuPont Gymnasium.
The facts are the school never has, and never will have any interest in athletics.

Originally posted by Eillor:

HELLO
The facts are the school never has, and never will have any interest in athletics.
Hello. Some truth in your post unfortunately. Some things remain to be seen. Time will tell.

Goodbye.

Disagree that VU is not big time basketball anymore.
Disagree Big East name is tarnished. It will always be fondly remembered for being the pinnacle of CBB for 30 years, kind of like the Boys of Winter. Name's worth whatever someone is will to pay for it.
If you want to see a mid-major, take a look at 54th St. & City Line Ave. That's not VU since Jumbo Elliott ('48 Olympics) and Al Severence ('39 FF).
Football program beats the FCS teams on its schedule, competes with Top 50 echelon FBS programs. At least that's what the Sagarin Ratings seem to indicate, as corroborated by on field results. On the field we are poised to either move up or remain in the top echelon of FCS. Off the field the program is not FBS caliber. That's been the problem for 50+ years and is no closer to solution today than it was when we won the Sun Bowl in '62. Kind of screams for a hybrid solution- adding hoops to a power conference while keeping football in a regional FCS conference.
FOX was looking to launch its 24-7 sports channels and was desperate for programming. I agree that DePaul-Seton Hall masquerading as big time college basketball is non-sustainable. We were lucky in 2013. We need to look into a better long term situation going forward- one without the aforementioned bottom feeders.
Jay is staying put for the foreseeable future. Much depends on him. He's known that since Day 1. If he was looking to jump, he woulda left with the other jumpers in 2012.
Villanova is like vintage wine. A marketable commodity. The NCAA tourney without VU and Gtown would be a much lesser event for Big State U. If that were not so, we would have been gone by the late '90's.
Philadelphia is a key market for any network. Its always sunny in Philadelphia. As it stands now, there is a gaping hole in the college basketball map with no Philly school in a Big Time Basketball Conference. Nature abhors a vacuum. If anyone thinks Temple is the answer, they haven't been to the Wells Fargo Center for a big VU game. VU rules the Del Val when it comes to college basketball. Check out the secondary ticket market for further proof of that. We'll be fine if we don't permanently tie ourselves to the nBE.

Originally posted by Eillor:

HELLO
Hmmm...lets see... Top 5 last year, top 10 this year. That seems like they are mid major and not big time. What a fool.

anybody that thinks Temple can deliver the Philly TV market is crazy. That's the same nutty thinking that assumed that Rutgers can deliver the NYC TV market. Most people in NYC don't even know where Rutgers is located. The biggest crowds Temple football and basketball have had are when they play Villanova.

Talk about a worthless discussion. ALL CURRENT ACC MEMBERS agreed to give over all their media rights to the conference for the next decade. So, let's say FSU goes to the SEC. School can go, but the ACC would contractually get to keep all media money that FSU earned in the SEC.

That isn't happening. Conference realignment has come to a grinding halt for all major moves. B12 may take BYU soon, but that is about it. Nobody else is moving. ACC isn't losing anybody and isn't expanding.

Texas and OU will be gone from the Big 12 before the next Presidential election. A mad scramble will ensue. Everyone will be involved, including the ACC.

90 did you ever hear of lawyers? Any school that wants to move just needs some good lawyers.

Originally posted by GECat74:
anybody that thinks Temple can deliver the Philly TV market is crazy. That's the same nutty thinking that assumed that Rutgers can deliver the NYC TV market. Most people in NYC don't even know where Rutgers is located. The biggest crowds Temple football and basketball have had are when they play Villanova.
In the New York City DMA, 4 of the 5 highest rated college football games of all time on ESPN...and all 5 of the highest rated ever on ESPN2 have involved Rutgers.

Rutgers now holds the best ratings for college football in New York City for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SNY, and now, after breaking the record against Penn State on Sept. 8th, on The Big Ten Network as well.

I would call that delivering the NYC market....or at least being the leader.

Regarding your attendance against Temple at the link, Villanova is only 3rd as far as being part of the biggest crowds at the Linc against Temple.

1.) Temple-Penn State - 69,029 (2010)
2.) Temple vs Rutgers - 35,145 (2012)
3.) Temple vs Villanova 32,709 (2012)

Originally posted by UncleEd:

90 did you ever hear of lawyers? Any school that wants to move just needs some good lawyers.
UE nails it. USA stands for you U can SUE ANYBODY. If somebody wants to make a move, they will make a move.

"...Rutgers now holds the best ratings for college football in New York City for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SNY, and now, after breaking the record against Penn State on Sept. 8th, on The Big Ten Network as well.

I would call that delivering the NYC market....or at least being the leader."

Congrats on having the best college football rating for NYC, but I would call it being the leader, not delivering the market. Some team has the biggest audience for curling, but that does not mean they delivered the market.

Originally posted by Hardy:
"...Rutgers now holds the best ratings for college football in New York City for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SNY, and now, after breaking the record against Penn State on Sept. 8th, on The Big Ten Network as well.

I would call that delivering the NYC market....or at least being the leader."

Congrats on having the best college football rating for NYC, but I would call it being the leader, not delivering the market. Some team has the biggest audience for curling, but that does not mean they delivered the market.
The point is this- if a p5 conference were to come knocking and want the Philly market for exposure, they would pick Temple over us. Unless we invest in football (missed the boat), we will be in bball-only conference forever. Unfortunately, this is the first time that I think Temple would have been favored over us.... Not used to saying that.

Nobody wants Temple football. I'll be suprised if they still have a team in 5 years. Our FBS football aspirations are over.

Rutgers has big cable TV numbers because all of their games were on Thursday night when they had a national exclusive. (No other college game being played that night.) Few top programs will agree to play on weeknights except for pre-Labor Day weekend. It doesn't surprise me that Rutgers out draws VPI and Georgia Tech in the NY market.

That said, Rutgers has some upside potential. They have not embarrassed themselves against what has been thus far a killer schedule and even won a game vs. the worst Michigan team in 50 years. They've gone from Colgate to Nebraska in 38 years, so I would not bet against them succeeding going forward.

To be charitable, the jury is still out w/r/t Temple. They bombed out of the oBE Football Conference, their window of opportunity after winning the Garden State Bowl in 1979 over Cal. In the 2010's the program has flirted with respectability, sending 2 coaches in 4 years to Power 5 conferences. Temple's inability to attract a winning coach who is willing to stay around for a year or 30 probably dooms their chances (like those of Cincy) of moving up to the Power 5. That said, they are in the right conference for the 1st time ever, so lets give them some time to see if they can grow the program. Evidently they still need to schedule Villanova to put fans in the stands. I interpret that as a big negative for Temple. And their machinations to push back into the dying oBE lead me to wish them ill luck going forward.

I don't see VU stepping up to FBS. Firstly, a step up would be a step back unless VU jumped from FCS to the Power 5. Secondly, VU football draws about as well as Hopkins lacrosse. Both programs have won national championships in cult sports, if you want to call FCS a cult sport. Thirdly, the cost of fielding a FBS program would bankrupt the school.

What I would be interested in would be a basketball affiliation with the ACC or some as yet unformed conference like the Big XII after Texas departs. Certainly the good old boys in Kansas City would be attentive to the opportunity to snag the #4 media market once their existing conference tanks for failure to deliver eyeballs.

This post was edited on 10/26 6:58 PM by DCFRANKLIN

DC you can stop posting about VU moving up to a crappy FCS level conference. Never going to happen. BTW athletic fund raising at Nova is in great shape. Nothing will bankrupt the school.
You are being charitable to Temple. They may not even have a football team in 5 yrs.

I'm on record that I would have supported joining the old Big East Football Conference. I also supported CAA moving up. In hindsight, that was foolish. Other than that I have not advocated joining any non-power 5 conference. The Big XII is on a death watch, as other Power 5 conferences, specifically the SEC and Big 10, want Texas and Oklahoma. That will unleash a scramble. VU should be watchful for an opportunity to showcase basketball program as leading to a possible associate membership somewhere. I do not foresee football playing any part in those plans.

I wouldn't wish financial problems on any school. I have read about SMU and Temple struggling with the cost of FBS. Wouldn't surprise me to learn there are others out there in the same boat. I am pleased VU has been supportive of FCS football. If VU has no money problems, than I assume that FCS football is likely to survive for another generation at least. Going FBS would have been a $100 million gamble. Perhaps Pitt and the other "no" voters did VU a favor in 2011.

In the last 40 years Temple has gone from playing Gettysburg and West Chester to playing Notre Dame and Penn State. 20 years ago Temple got booted from the Big East. Today they are competing in a high 2nd tier FBS conference. Under Al Golden and to a lesser extent under Addazio they went from patsies to a team that VU could no longer keep up with.
Now they are back to Earth and back on the VU schedule. Which way will it go? Time will tell.

SEC also has a rule in which any current member can block the addition of a school that lies in the same state as a current member.

Does anybody really think that USC and UF are going to allow Clem and FSU to join their league? Not gonna happen. If SEC adds, it will be UVA or Va Tech and UNC. Of course, UVA and UNC are also next logical choices for the B10.

Sorry guys, nobody is leaving the ACC due to the grant of media rights. Don't care how many lawyers are involved on both sides. This agreement is ironclad.

Link

Won't be VPI which was built by the Army Corps of Engineers during Reconstruction.
UNC & UVA are the two most likely SEC choices in my judgment, based more on History than logic.
So A&M can block ut's membership? Interesting.
ut would be a great add for the Big 10 along with Sooners.
I'm sure the behind the scenes maneuvering is already well underway.
It will seem odd for Kansas to be on the outside looking in.

yes, TXAM can and would block UT, that is my understanding of the SEC rules. B10 would kill to have UT join them. But B10 has the B10 network and would require UT to walk away from the Longhorn Network in order to join B10. I can't see UT doing that.

UNC and UVA are most likely choices in my mind to the SEC. Only thing that may stop them is academic profile of some SEC schools. Both UNC and UVA consider themselves "elite" state schools. While ACC has their share of schools that are not harvard (FSU, Clemson) they also have some really good schools like BC, Wake, Duke. SEC academic power is really only Vandy. Does UNC want to be associated with Miss St, Auburn, Ole Miss? Not sure they really want that.

Originally posted by novaclassof90:
yes, TXAM can and would block UT, that is my understanding of the SEC rules. B10 would kill to have UT join them. But B10 has the B10 network and would require UT to walk away from the Longhorn Network in order to join B10. I can't see UT doing that.

UNC and UVA are most likely choices in my mind to the SEC. Only thing that may stop them is academic profile of some SEC schools. Both UNC and UVA consider themselves "elite" state schools. While ACC has their share of schools that are not harvard (FSU, Clemson) they also have some really good schools like BC, Wake, Duke. SEC academic power is really only Vandy. Does UNC want to be associated with Miss St, Auburn, Ole Miss? Not sure they really want that.
novaclass90, is that right about Clemson? I always thought it was a good school. Not saying it was Wake Forest, but when I hear FSU, I think party school that is probably a layup to get into for Florida residents. Is Clemson really on that level?

I don't know the stats but I would say that Clem and FSU are on the same academic level. Nowhere close to schools like Wake or even places like Furman or Wofford. On par with other southern state schools like USC, UF, Bama, Auburn, etc.

Just checked, avg SAT scores for FSU and Clem are very similar. Clem avg's are maybe 5-10 points higher. Both are about 600 for both reading and math.

UNC academic rep went significantly south after the no show no class recent situation came to light!!! Tom

DC Rutgers has had upside potential for DECADES. I have no clue why they can't seem to move forward, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Things that have held Rutgers back for 40 years:
1. The "Rutgers 1000" who decry big-time athletics in favor of returning to an Ivy League model.
2. Taking Joe Pa's winks and nods seriously.
3. A succession of bad hires by bad AD's.
4. The subway alumni of assistant managers at, well, Subway, who support Rutgers football unless the Jets are on TV.
5. The private school reject students who support sex, drugs and Rutgers athletics in that order.
Have I missed anyone?

My comments apply to the period from '76 until Schiano. Most of those problems have been solved of have solved themselves.
This post was edited on 10/31 7:12 PM by DCFRANKLIN

Originally posted by DCFRANKLIN:
Things that have held Rutgers back for 40 years:
1. The "Rutgers 1000" who decry big-tme athletics in favor of returning to an Ivy League model.
2. Taking Joe Pa's winks and nods seriously.
3. A succession of bad hires by bad AD's.
4. The subway alumni of assistant managers at, well, Subway, who support Rutgers football unless the Jets are on TV.
5. The private school reject students who support sex, drugs and Rutgers athletics in that order.
Have I missed anyone?
Rutgers has never had better student and fan support then it has right now.

RU is averaging 51.5K per game in our 53K stadium. Last two games were sold out.

RU home games allot 10K student tickets per game, and student tickets are sold out for the year. They've become a hard ticket to come by. That has never happened, except for the occasional game here and there.

RU now has 32K season ticket holders, more than ever before.

In the past, we had an administration that until Schiano came in....wanted to play at Penn State's level, but only wanted to fund the program at Lehigh's level.

That has changed, and with Big Ten money now coming in (which is expected to swell to as much as $35mm a year starting in 2017 when the league's rights are up again) money won't be a problem.

We still pay our coach only $1mm a year, but our next coach will likely be in the $2-3mm a year range. We should be able to attract better talent at that salary. I'm obviously not sold on Kyle Flood, our current HC.

Edit - And despite your mindset as someone who I'm guessing went to Villanova....not everyone wants to go to a private school. We have plenty of alums/current students who never even applied to any privates.

I looked at 5 schools, and Syracuse was the only private on my list....but was pretty far down.
This post was edited on 10/30 6:30 PM by BuggsyRU

Jay Wright who was all but on their payroll, before Villanova made one of their best Athletic decisions ever. J.W. would have given them a top flight Basketball Program. Instead he has returned Villanova to National status after a short hiatus under a coach that made pulling on his jacket lapels a trademark.

Can't really bash Rutgers. Even if they never make it past being a mediocre conference member, the teams they are playing week in and week out on the field and on the court will continue to draw crowds.

Temple on the other hand.....

1. ACC GOR - Signed 4/2013 goes to 2026-27, the duration of the league's contract with ESPN. That's a pretty solid reason for ACC to be stable for that period, i.e., another 12 years. No teams are leaving ACC in that period. They are set in BB with UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, et al. plus ND for more Northeast draws.

2. B1G - Is losing on the field and in demographics/geographics of recruiting, so I can see them still looking for a big fish get in a growing (i.e. Southern) market if one could be had. B1G of course is game game-fishing - Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, UNC, maybe UVA or GaTech (more for market and recruiting). Can they shake some loose from BXII (that would require Texas to be a "member" and not "THE MEMBER" not sure that works for a place that doesn't even really consider itself fully a part of the US but more its own "shining republic") or ACC (that would require negotiating some kind of GOR buyout - how many yens of millions would that take?).

3. SEC - Is awesome just as it is but obviously if it can add NC and VA to the fold great. If you talk to SEC insiders that "veto" right for in-state rivals is BS.

4. BXII - Money divided by 10 right now works great for all. WVU is screwed by travel costs, but BXII was only lifeboat available to Ollie Luck and crew so UT basically say "suck it." I don't see them as vulnerable as everybody thinks. They have lots of money, 4 teams in the Top 25, good bowl tie-ins. If Charlie Strong rights UT in the next 2 years, they should be fine. I think if they know a championship game or inventory from 2 new programs would make the per team shares higher they would have already added 2 from the group of USF, UCF, UConn or Cincy. The fact that they haven't likely confirms it isn't worth enough money to add them.

5. P12 - Fat, Rich, Happy and Safe on the West Coast with no threats of any kind. Perhaps they revisit adding the 4 from the BXII (UT, OU, OK ST and TT) but so long as Baylor and TCU have political power that will be tough to get done.

6. Villanova - Has no business playing football in any of the above conference nor, for that matter does Temple, particularly once full cost of attendance comes on board next July 1st (i.e., $5-10MM per year to all FB and BB plus requisite number of female athletes). Both Villanova and Temple would need something on the order of $100MM in facilities on Day 1 (e.g., VU would need a stadium that holds 40,000 and Davis Center x 10 FB training facility and Temple would need 15-year extension (2018-33) at increased rent at the Linc or a 40,000 stadium (maybe Lew Katz's son and Kimmel kick in $100MM and that happens cuz that is what it would take).

That being said, I have always thought if ACC is put in a position where they have to add a school or a market in FB/BB where the team is unpalatable to some (UConn, Cincy or Temple), VU would be smart to back-door lobby the "real" ACC football schools (FSU, Clemson, Miami etc.) about the money to be made with the hybrid of adding (VU (PHL), GT (DC) and SJU (NYC)) without such schools dipping their beak in the FB$ trough. E.g., hybrid schools get $8MM/yr for BB and the 14 + 1/2 ND make more money from BB increased value without giving anything up FB. Now, having said that I would put the odds on that happening at 2 in a million (so I saying . . . there's a chance).

Realignment hasn't ended, it's in a lull until these three issues are solved:

1. The O'Bannon v NCAA case.
2. The Kessler v NCAA case (challenging any caps on athletic aid)
3. A challenge to the grant of rights rule (which may be a restraint of trade)

From that, these dominoes:

1. It's no secret that the Big 10 wants to go to 16 with two more east coast media markets: Atlanta (Georgia Tech) and the Carolinas (UNC). If Tech is not interested, Virginia is. This may force either the SEC or the Pac-12 to revisit the two biggest names on the table: Texas and Oklahoma.

2. Whichever way they go, the Big 12 is not going quietly into the night. There are three ACC schools which have let it be known they are football-first institutions in a decidedly basketball-first conference. The Big 12 has Clemson, Florida State, and Miami on speed dial, and without UNC in the fold, NC State might be interested as well.

3. The loss of as many as five ACC teams (including its flagship) would not be acceptable to its major domo at ESPN and that's when things get interesting.

One thing the last round taught everyone is that there are no legislative vetoes to teams moving. Texas A&M walked out of the Big 12 with impunity, while Maryland left the ACC without a single call to the state house.

Haven't posted in awhile (getting married, about to move, and wife six months pregnant with our first child, a boy) but here's how I see it.

1. The Big Ten does want to go to 16 with two new east coast markets (probably Atlanta and Charlotte, although Miami could also be a possibility.) UVa also could be interested in joining although it is possible that Maryland could blackball UVa.

2. The Pac 12 could revisit expansion, but it will make sure that these teams bring at least new markets to the table. Texas is the big prize, but the 'Horns might not be interested. I can see the Pac 12 reaching out to Kansas though. Would they reach out to Oklahoma? Possible, but then again, the bean counters @ Stanford and Berkeley could question Oklahoma's worth since Oklahoma isn't a public ivy like the Pac 12 prefers.

3. The SEC could probably care a less what the Pac 12 does or doesn't do, but it's not going to let the Big Ten get what it wants without a fight. If the Big Ten gets GT and UNC, the SEC will likely go after UVa/VT and NCSU. If UVa is unavailable, the SEC will go after VT. The SEC might make a play for OU, but then again, it could ignore OU entirely too.

4. Big 12 probably goes after what the above poster talks about, but probably minus Miami and NC State.

competes with Top 50 echelon FBS programs. At least that's what the Sagarin Ratings seem to indicate, as corroborated by on field results.

Really??

"I see BC de-emphasizing all sports except hockey."

Not so - if anything, they're upgrading their FB efforts. Addazio is a good fit for them. They LOVE their Hockey, yes, but they dig FB as well.

Originally posted by CarDashian:
"I see BC de-emphasizing all sports except hockey."

Not so - if anything, they're upgrading their FB efforts. Addazio is a good fit for them. They LOVE their Hockey, yes, but they dig FB as well.
They aren't going to win ACC championships with Addazio. And if they even win one, he's going to get plucked by the pros or by a school willing to pay him the money BC feels it shouldn't have to pay for a sport it doesn't fully support at the major level.

BC...this is a school I expect to see being shown the door out of a major conference because of not putting what it should into it. It's one thing being extremely political, which they were when they went behind Syracuse's back to nab the 12th ACC slot and then stonewall UConn because of the lawsuit (that others put their names to who now call the conference its home), but be political as other schools were, like Louisville was to the likes of other schools trying to join C-USA and then the Big East; win titles or add to the overall revenue line. BC isn't doing that as it should. BC isn't like some dead weight out there, like Colorado is these days, but Colorado is a big public university in a sports forum where it's identical to most of the other participants. BC...other than its name on the door, has nothing to offer the ACC. Maybe if they started sponsoring lacrosse...I know BU's looking for an excuse to cut their program already now that they have what they want in the Patriot affiliation.

BC, kind of like Miami, is what you don't want to see happen at the major level: hit your ideal target, then drop off. It's easier to get in than to be kicked out.

Ridiculous comments. You know nothing about what BC is planning to do or will do. Sour grapes.

DC, there were only two years Villanova couldn't compete with Temple on the Football field. Those years were 2011 and 2012 after Villanova had been decimated by graduation, and the 2012 game would have been closer had Robertson started as the Cats still rolled up alot of offense that game. The 2013 and 2014 teams would have been very competitive with Temple..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT