ADVERTISEMENT

All Hail the Blue & White football heros

PCH

VUSports.com All-American
Jul 14, 2001
Saw Liberty game on ESPN3. Reflecting on the game it has to go down as one of the greatest in Nova football history. The defensive team fought like the fictional Rocky Balboa to shut down a good offensive team that had taken out excellent opponents, Coastal Carolina and JMU. This time the defense had to erase 4 weather created Villanova tunovers. Except for the short field Ist Q TD caused by a 72 yd. Liberty kickoff return the defense held their own, stopped every Blazer drive and holding them to 3 Field Goals and only 67 yds rushing. The leading heros were Paris, Shockley, Cherry, Calitro, Harman and Sarnese but every man on the defense did his part.

As for the offense what more can be said about Robby and his crew fighting off some of the worst weather I or anyone could remember. The pride and teamwork of this diverse group of student athletes reflects the intelligence, training and effort that will stand each man in great stead for the rest of their lives. They are a great example to the Villanova community. Hopefully with better weather the community will turn out and show the team the respect it deserves. It is far past time for one outspoken apparent alumni, who probably couldn't beat his sister at arm wrestling if he is lucky enough to have a sister, to stand down and recognize the accomplishments of Villanova's Band of Brothers or at least stop annoying those that do.

Well said. Great effort by an outstanding group of young men

I watched it again on my DVR just to take it all in, A very satisfying win. Very proud of this team and looking forward to the Sam Houston State game.

Reviewing the SHS vs Jacksonville St. game on ESPN3 I'd rate Liberty a better team than both of them. Watching clips of Nova's fired up team celebration after their great effort against Liberty I don't think they can be stopped this week.

PCH very well said. I think the defense players you mentioned contains only one senior. On offense the RBs and most of the line are seniors. Cats have some good O linemen in the wings and a couple of RBs as well as a couple of very good RB recruits.

Any chance Underwood will return this season? He adds a significant receiving threat which is needed.

Underwood failed his medical exam yesterday and has been ruled out for the season. Underwood himself had said he'd be back Saturday for SHS. Wishful thinking on his part and mine.
This post was edited on 12/11 1:14 PM by DCFRANKLIN

Good news about Underwood. If he is back and plays his normal game no doubt more victories are on the way.

At this time of the season every team has injuries. It would be nice to get a player back. The injury that I think hurts Cats the most is LB # 54

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT