ADVERTISEMENT

Are we getting Lehigh back on the schedule?

VUWildCat2003

Bleeds Villanova Blue
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2003
I love the Fordham matchup. I live on Long Island so I won't miss this game. How much longer will this be going for?

Also, I remember somebody mentioning we might drop Penn from the schedule and add Lehigh again. I have always wanted to get to Lehigh for a football game. What's the plan with that?

Reactions: giad
With Stony Brook on future schedule I don't foresee Fordham series being renewed. I have long advocated for Georgetown, but the Hoyas' weren't born yesterday so that's not gonna happen, at least while Talley is around. Lehigh series got off to a good start in 2004, but interest waned as the novelty factor wore off. They are nearby and a step down for us, so I suppose that makes the Mountain Hawks a preferred non-conference opponent. And of course we have UCONN, Pitt and Temple over the next 3 seasons.

Last edited:
With Stony Brook on future schedule I don't foresee Fordham series being renewed. I have long advocated for Georgetown, but the Hoyas' weren't born yesterday so that's not gonna happen, at least while Talley is around. Lehigh series got off to a good start in 2004, but interest waned as the novelty factor wore off. They are nearby and a step down for us, so I suppose that makes the Mountain Hawks a preferred non-conference opponent. And of course we have UCONN, Pitt and Temple over the next 3 seasons.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the upcoming game with Fordham is the last one in the series. Supposedly Bucknell will replace them in 2016. Will miss my treks to the Bronx. However, Stony Brook will be much easier to get to for future games.

Some one posted in Lehigh blog that Villanova was added to their 2016 schedule. I saw something about Bucknell also.

Lehigh & Bucknell would replace Fordham & Penn if true.

I love the Fordham matchup. I live on Long Island so I won't miss this game. How much longer will this be going for?

Also, I remember somebody mentioning we might drop Penn from the schedule and add Lehigh again. I have always wanted to get to Lehigh for a football game. What's the plan with that?
I understand this season is the last for Fordham and Penn. Temple is a two year deal 17 and 18.
I have zero interest in playing Georgetown. Zero.

Here is the Lehigh blog comment. Poster later said he's connected to program and it's legit. Who knows?

That would mean
Week 1 @ Pitt
Week 2 Lehigh
Week 3 ?
Weeks 4-11 CAA opponents

• LehighGuy
    Participant
    Just read the article about who will open in 2016. We open up at Monmouth…week 2 Villanova…Penn….Princeton. …Yale. That’s the first 5 games of 2016

February 16, 2015 at 5:47 pm#18549

FBS games is all about the $$$. Might as well stay close to home & save on travel/hotels. Team hung with BC & should have beaten Syracuse. Not a stretch to see a competitive game with the Owls.

FBS games is all about the $$$. Might as well stay close to home & save on travel/hotels. Team hung with BC & should have beaten Syracuse. Not a stretch to see a competitive game with the Owls.
I watch Temple closely. They are doing well recruiting. By 2017 season they will be tough.
Cats should impress this season v UConn.

I know many feel Villanova may be favorites headed into UConn game. I for 1 are always cautious & respectful of any FBS program.

I know UConn has lost their way in the past few seasons, but if Diaco is to turn it around it must include a win over A FCS opponent. Even one as dangerous as our 'Cats appear to be.

We should be competitive in the UConn game, but I'm sure it will take maximum effort to come out of Storrs with a W.

As for Temple they will be a handful for Villanova in 2017/18, but they should be. Ruhle & staff doing a nice job there so far.

Unfortunately like our beloved 'Cats not many fans are paying attention.

Most seasons you start 0-1 and move on.

Last edited:
I know many feel Villanova may be favorites headed into UConn game. I for 1 are always cautious & respectful of any FBS program.

I know UConn has lost their way in the past few seasons, but if Diaco is to turn it around it must include a win over A FCS opponent. Even one as dangerous as our 'Cats appear to be.

We should be competitive in the UConn game, but I'm sure it will take maximum effort to come out of Storrs with a W.

As for Temple they will be a handful for Villanova in 2017/18, but they should be. Ruhle & staff doing a nice job there so far.

Unfortunately like our beloved 'Cats not many fans are paying attention.

Most seasons you expect to start 0-1 and move on.

I expect this seasons Cats to be a very, very good team. However, I would never feel they are favorites going up against an FCS team. Facts that jump out at me when playing an FCS team is their depth, number of coaches and playing at home.

have the family and Ct Alum Roommate, Ct friends lined up for the game. Booked th, fri off already -- expect a tough game but never enter a situation w/o believing we can't win. I think we have good reason to believe we can win. Looking forward to being there. Tom

Oh I think this is as good as any FBS game to think win. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I was a UConn fan that's for sure.

This may be a 1-0 start, but I'd expect a tussle to the end.

GTown football doesn't offer schollies and shouldnt be scheduled unless you are someone siding to downsize the program or want Nova to play in the Patriot.

Neither option is recommended--as many fans already know, the Patriot is not a financially viable choice to begin with. You'd be trading 63 scholarships for 60 with arcane admissions rules.

Neither option is recommended--as many fans already know, the Patriot is not a financially viable choice to begin with. You'd be trading 63 scholarships for 60 with arcane admissions rules.

I hear ya. I'd love to see GTown if they schollied like the rest of the Pat league. Last year for Penn & hopefully no more Ivys make the schedule in the future.

I wouldn't mind playing the 3 Pennsy PL teams in a regular rotation. Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette could create nice regional interest.

Why not play Georgetown? They are another Big East school after all.

Well if it could be a consistently competitive game then I'd be for it, but Hoyas are 24-63 under Coach Kelly (including 8-3 in 2011 which is 1st winning season since '99). They have only beaten MEAC Howard (twice) of their out of conference opponents with schollies. They have won games against PL scholly teams, but few & far between.

I can't find the article, GTown AD was quoted that he was more interested in playing non-scholarship Ivy & Pioneer schools than Schools like Villanova.

We are a CAA football member not a Big East football member.

Last edited:
Well if it could be a consistently competitive game then I'd be for it, but Hoyas are 24-63 under Coach Kelly (including 8-3 in 2011 which is 1st winning season since '99). They have only beaten MEAC Howard (twice) of their out of conference opponents with schollies. They have won games against PL scholly teams, but few & far between.
I can't find the article, GTown AD was quoted that he was more interested in playing non-scholarship Ivy & Pioneer schools than Schools like Villanova.

Since 2001, Georgetown is 3-7 vs. full scholarship teams (wins over VMI and two over Howard, with losses to Charleston Southern, FIU, VMI, Howard, Old Dominion, and two to Richmond. Of these, the ODU and Richmond games were out of hand early but the Hoyas held their own in the others.).

I've never seen the athletic director talk about the schedules, because the AD does not set schedules at Georgetown, the coaches do, and the schedules are set through 2020. And by then, Georgetown should be looking to pick up games as an independent because a non-scholarship team in a 60-scholarship league (whether that's the Patriot, CAA, etc.) is untenable.

FWIW, Kevin Kelly left after the 2013 season to become an assistant at Ball State--I-A assistant jobs don't come very often, so he had to take it.

Since 2001, Georgetown is 3-7 vs. full scholarship teams (wins over VMI and two over Howard, with losses to Charleston Southern, FIU, VMI, Howard, Old Dominion, and two to Richmond. Of these, the ODU and Richmond games were out of hand early but the Hoyas held their own in the others.).

I've never seen the athletic director talk about the schedules, because the AD does not set schedules at Georgetown, the coaches do, and the schedules are set through 2020. And by then, Georgetown should be looking to pick up games as an independent because a non-scholarship team in a 60-scholarship league (whether that's the Patriot, CAA, etc.) is untenable.

FWIW, Kevin Kelly left after the 2013 season to become an assistant at Ball State--I-A assistant jobs don't come very often, so he had to take it.

Posted on Anygivensaturday.com site by a guy named DFW Hoya in 2012:

Georgetown AD Discusses Football Scholarships, Scheduling
Selected quotes:

On scholarships: "Most schools are starting to make a move towards merit aid. Right now, we haven’t made that decision yet. That’s not what we’ve been or what we want to do. We’ll maintain our position as a need-based aid program.”

On the Patriot League: “Like anything, leagues evolve as policies change. We continue to assess that in terms of where we are and what our ability to be successful is. We’ll go through that process over the next couple years.”

On scheduling: “I think you’ll see a lot more Ivy League schools on our football schedule, intentionally, because they are need-based as well. We want to play schools that have a similar philosophy when it comes to aid. We are running out of schools to do that against, so it makes sense because the Ivies are our peers.”

The link to the article doesn't show the article any longer.

Last edited:
"We are a CAA football member not a Big East football member"

We are a Big East school and CAA associate. The first trumps the other in my opinion.

"We are a CAA football member not a Big East football member"

We are a Big East school and CAA associate. The first trumps the other in my opinion.

Matter of semantics in my opinion. I'll yield to your statement although there is no Big East Football conference any longer.

So given that Georgetown clearly doesn't plan to compete with Villanova on the football field (63-0 merit based schollies) doesn't mean we should play them because of their Big East affiliation in other sports.

Villanova football is ending its game vs. Penn for several reasons, but certainly the competitive differences of 63-0 schollies are in the forefront.

Georgetown is more of a nostalgic matchup than one that makes sense at this time. It would quickly run its course after a few 40 point blowouts. Just my humble opinion.

I would love to see Youngstown State make it on Villanova's schedule for football just from the playoff games from the 90's. I would like to see Georgetown on it as well only because I would like to see the Hoyas get blown out.

Common opponents in 2014: we all know we lose to Syracuse in OT in the road. Orange then lose to ND by 16 at a neutral site.

We beat Fordam by 44 who then goes and beats Georgtown by 45.

Hey it's a rainy Saturday morning in Plano.

Reactions: UncleEd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT