ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance = 2,026

qwe009

Diaper Dandy
Oct 2, 2009
Looks like a liberty really did fill the stands last week as attendance was down by 30% for the division 2 national championship quarterfinal game.

Can't wait to here people make excuses, and then go look at randiculous' blog and see pictures that confirm the announced turnout.

The villanova community is speaking loudly as to its support of villanova football.

Time to invest in soccer!

For some perspective:
There were just over 5,000 fans at villanova's two playoff football games COMBINED
A villanova exhibition basketball game against northwood had almost 7,000 fans
A villanova November basketball game against Delaware had over 11,000 fans

So why are we starving basketball and splurging in football?
Why is the much needed pavilion renovation taking a back seat to a villanova football training center?
Why does villanova football have a higher operating budget than villanova basketball?

Thanks for the honest discussion on the merits (although I am sure some of the football tuff guys will turn this into a bunch of personal insults and threats)

All good ?'s.

Even the most hard core VU football fan must admit that attendance was pretty pathetic. Even looked worse on TV when they showed only the away side of the field.

Villanova soccer, even while being treated like a third class citizen, is not too far off attendance wise. I see 896 fans at their last home game of the season. Their season ended against providence had about 2k at the game.

These problems will never be solved until Villanova alums give back to VU in greater numbers. 75% of Villanova grads give nothing back to the school. This football talk is just a distraction to hide VU's paltry numbers.

You know nothing about VU soccer. They just opened a beautiful first class complex thanks to the gifts of some VU Alums.
Actually you don't know very much about VU athletics.

I know that villanova socce is not allowed to use the full scholarship number permitted by the ncaa, and that the villanova soccer recruiting budget is underfunded.

You may not like his tone and tenor, but has he said anything factually inaccurate?

Originally posted by prospect:

There were alot more than 2026 at the game
Show me something credible that says differently, because the box score as well as what was visible on television appears that this number is an overstatement if anything.

I'm a Nova grad and follow most Nova sports (basketball at the top, of course), but anyone who tries to defend the attendance at these last 2 football games is not facing reality.

The fact is, the product is just not marketed/packaged by the University. I was always against us moving to FBS as I knew that Nova's place was to have a top notch FCS team, which they do. This a GREAT football, and there is no reason why there can't be a decent draw to these games. Trust me, if the Administration was really interested in having 12,000 in those stands, they would! I am convinced there is a "mutual handshake" agreement with Radnor to keep it this way!

if we're STARVING basketball, I'm just a hungry beggar asking for just a little food...please..

Originally posted by Bassman07:
The fact is, the product is just not marketed/packaged by the University. I was always against us moving to FBS as I knew that Nova's place was to have a top notch FCS team, which they do. This a GREAT football, and there is no reason why there can't be a decent draw to these games. Trust me, if the Administration was really interested in having 12,000 in those stands, they would! I am convinced there is a "mutual handshake" agreement with Radnor to keep it this way!
Then why would the University pump so much money into football if it is secretly sabotaging the program?

Originally posted by Bassman07:
All Nova students get FREE tickets. So a kid can go for free on a Saturday and they don't.

STOP the madness. I was at both playoff games. There were about 7,000 at the Liberty game and about 6,000 at the SHSU game. Schools lie about the attendance at FCS playoff games to job the NCAA out of their portion of the gate. Case closed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT