ADVERTISEMENT

Backyard Swingsets

My wife found one on craiglist's from some dude in a foreclosure who was selling anything he could. Got the whole deal...slide/tower/swings/monkey bars for $300. Buddy and I went out and disassembled the thing, hauled it home on a trailer and reassembled it. Bang.

We have one with the tower, side ladder, a few swings that was there when we moved in, sandbox underneath tower, good for a shady spot for them in the summer. Kids love it, play on it daily for long stretches as do all their friends when they come over. So no idea about people who say their kids don't use it, unless they're too old or sedentary. Seems to be good through 5 years old at least.

Going without kids is a different story.

Agree, will never for the life of me understand this, would be the last place I'd go with some time off unless it's for the kids. Same thing for older kids. Weird. But given my year-round obsession with college basketball, who am I to judge.

Reactions: The_Expansion_Crew
Disney is great if you have young kids. Only a real Scrooge can hate going to Disney with their kids. Going without kids is a different story.
Yes young kids love standing in lines, walking around or being pushed in a stroller all day, shuttling with the masses and over-bearing parents trying to cram everything in because they took out a second mortgage and they need to hit all their smart passes. Awesome time. My kids enjoyed they mini-golf, the pool and the hot tub in whirlpool in our room. I did enjoy taking my daughter to the frozen store. Im cinvinced you have disney people and it's as much for parents from flyover country and trump voters.

Last edited:
My wife found one on craiglist's from some dude in a foreclosure who was selling anything he could. Got the whole deal...slide/tower/swings/monkey bars for $300. Buddy and I went out and disassembled the thing, hauled it home on a trailer and reassembled it. Bang.
methinks you overpaid. You can buy entire people for 300 bucks on Craigslist.

Last edited:
Yeah, mini-golf is way more fun for kids than Disney World.
IMO, the key to Disney World is going when kids are the appropriate age, not over-doing it and not going for too long. We took our kids at ages 3,4 and 6. Too young and a colossal waste. Sure, small world was great. They enjoyed Peter Pan. We went in October and it was incredibly hot and they preferred the pool. Disney World does a great job branding and convincing people it's something they must do. It's a really well run, over-crowded amusement park . That's it. Obviously you are a Disney person. I get it. My mother-in-law and wife aren't quite Disney people but similar.

Reactions: GaryMassey
Took kids last year when they were 4 and 2 and they actually really liked it, my wife did a good job organizing the fast passes. But they are girls, I think it's possible girls may enjoy it more than boys, meeting the princesses and such. We also stayed at one of the resorts on the monorail which helps a lot for small kids. And they/we aren't really morning people so we avoided early a.m., had them up a little later instead which I think helped. And it was early April... warm enough, hot sometimes but not too hot most times of day.

Reactions: Chimpat
He's a cube dwelling Everyman. Disney is paradise to him

60540035.jpg

Reactions: GaryMassey
Uh, if you think who went to Disney for the most days is a status symbol thing you can't be helped. Disney?

I wasn't talking about me, I meant in general. And if you don't think SAHM's don't love bragging about how much they did at Disney, where they stayed, and for how long, you're nuts. It's a major status symbol for wealthy soccer moms.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about me, I meant in general. And if you don't think SAHM's don't love bragging about how much they did at Disney, where they started, and for how long, you're nuts. It's a major status symbol for wealthy soccer moms.

I guess my definition of wealth is a bit different

RickBBMW

Every shrub, tree and planting in Disney has a duplicate off site. If the park plant is damaged, it is replaced that same evening after the park closes. Shit like that fascinates me. (I do not like Disney btw. I am not sure why it's a must do with kids, but it is and of course i did it)

I just got back from a few days at Disney with the kids. My daughter is 5 and loves it, she loves the rides and will do the roller coasters so that's fun. My son is only 2 and wasn't into the rides so much other than Small World. Stayed on campus at the Beach Club, great pool and nice staying close to hang out there during the afternoon.

I like Disney, my mom is from LA so I've been to Disneyland over 20 times, grew up going there a lot as a kid. I'm not one of those people that has to plan every ride to the minute and cram in 50 things to make it worth it. Go and hit some rides, grab some funnel cake, take in the parade and some fireworks. Good times.

Reactions: tomjackleman
Haven't been to Disney World in years, did it maybe 3 or 4 times growing up and then hit up a few parks (drinking around the world at Epcot) in mid 20s while there for a work event. Have family in LA so have taken the little ones to Disneyland twice for the day. I definitely see how it is annoying now as an adult but overall I think the kids tend to love it and I can have fun with it, as you need to be a total wet blanket not to enjoy it at least a bit. The major downer is the amount they charge for everything from park passes to hotels to garbage park food.

Every shrub, tree and planting in Disney has a duplicate off site. If the park plant is damaged, it is replaced that same evening after the park closes. Shit like that fascinates me. (I do not like Disney btw. I am not sure why it's a must do with kids, but it is and of course i did it)

That's wild - I didn't know that.

Dinlsneyland and Disney world are very different. Disneyland is six flags. Much smaller and a one day deal. People don't plan entire vacations over 5 days to hit all the parks etc...

My kid has a great time in Orlando last month, but I had to feign enthusiasm. I continue to be disappointed wih how amusement park entertainment hasn't evolved. It's the same tired rides for 30+ years. Space Mountain? You kidding me? And the "newer" rides were lame.

I'm 2016, there should be rides that allow you to drive an AT-AT and destroy targets.

817c92_60e7446f71184fc7e4942b2763a24daa.jpg

Agree, will never for the life of me understand this, would be the last place I'd go with some time off unless it's for the kids. Same thing for older kids. Weird. But given my year-round obsession with college basketball, who am I to judge.

Yea, Mrs. Burrs is already starting to lay the groundwork for this trip. The balls on her trying to get me to leave the CoP :).......

It's not in the immediate future, tho. Baby Burrs #2 is too young at just turning two. Not dropping that nut for a kid who won't even remember it.

So, what are the best ages to go? I'm thinking no earlier than 7 & 4. Maybe, 8 & 5? Thoughts????

Dinlsneyland and Disney world are very different. Disneyland is six flags. Much smaller and a one day deal. People don't plan entire vacations over 5 days to hit all the parks etc...

Understood but you don't need to do a full week at Disneyworld either. We did a few days at Disneyworld. You don't need to do 5 days to enjoy it.

It's the biggest working vacation ever. Up at 7am everyday. Walking through the Florida heat, sweating buckets. You make these dinner reservations 6 months in advance and they still make you wait an hour for a table. You don't get back to your room till 11pm or midnight most nights. But other than that, so enjoyable for adults.

Reactions: adp98
Do they serve beer at the NCA...Disney? I could see getting day drunk there being fun.

I picture you and your buddy high fiving and smiling at your good fortune as you disassemble the set.

Meanwhile, this poor schmuck's wife just left him just left him and got custody due to his drinking problem.

1159529.jpg

Was never clear to me if what the guy was doing was ethical/legal. It's not like he was selling off copper piping or wiring from the house.

a hurricane rolled through during our family's pilgrimage to disney. it was closed for one day, but by it reopened, you wouldn't have had the slightest idea that a storm with 80+ mile an hour winds occurred 48 hours prior. they also refunded our family for the nights stay and trip. we stayed at disney's camping resort in our pop up camper (does that make us poor), and the camping area was spotless, even though it was heavily wooded. disney runs a tight ship.

Haven't been to Disney World in years, did it maybe 3 or 4 times growing up and then hit up a few parks (drinking around the world at Epcot) in mid 20s while there for a work event. Have family in LA so have taken the little ones to Disneyland twice for the day. I definitely see how it is annoying now as an adult but overall I think the kids tend to love it and I can have fun with it, as you need to be a shoop not to enjoy it at least a bit. The major downer is the amount they charge for everything from park passes to hotels to garbage park food.
fixed.

The Magic Kingdom itself apparently sits on the 'third floor' of the resort. Years ago, a character from Frontierland was spotted in Tomorrowland, as he was shift changing. That was apparently unacceptable, so a labyrinth of underground areas were built to shuffle park employees from one side of the park to the other without being seen by the guests.

They also own their own power plant and control water sources. For many years, abduction was a rather common occurrence.

Also, I cannot recall seeing one landscaper during the day time on any hotel or park property - and yet each shrub, lawn and tree was manicured perfectly.

hqdefault.jpg

The Magic Kingdom itself apparently sits on the 'third floor' of the resort. Years ago, a character from Frontierland was spotted in Tomorrowland, as he was shift changing. That was apparently unacceptable, so a labyrinth of underground areas were built to shuffle park employees from one side of the park to the other without being seen by the guests.

They also own their own power plant and control water sources. For many years, abduction was a rather common occurrence.

Also, I cannot recall seeing one landscaper during the day time on any hotel or park property - and yet each shrub, lawn and tree was manicured perfectly.

hqdefault.jpg
Ryan Archidiacono was not yet born when the last episode of Cheers aired.

I thought that the standard was if it was attached to the property, it was part of the property. Some swingsets just rest atop the ground, others are fastened or anchored.
This thing was staked in at various points. We had to use a jack to pry certain parts out of the ground.

Funny all the talk about the shrubs and landscaping being perfect. While waiting for the wife and daughters to emerge from the bathroom in Epcot one night (the Future World part not countries), me and some others waiting there saw a couple rats on one of those raised areas you might sit/lean on next to a bench and could hear many more rustling inside the bushes. I guess they're careful about rat poison use given all the kids.

hqdefault.jpg
It's a little know fact that Disney World employs more than 62,000 as part of its "cast," making Walt Disney World the largest single-site employer in the United States.

We have one with the tower, side ladder, a few swings that was there when we moved in, sandbox underneath tower, good for a shady spot for them in the summer. Kids love it, play on it daily for long stretches as do all their friends when they come over. So no idea about people who say their kids don't use it, unless they're too old or sedentary. Seems to be good through 5 years old at least.

God damn! You got the whole mother effin jungle gym!

Between 1990 and 2000, 147 children ages 14 and younger died from playground-related injuries. Of them, 82 (56%) died from strangulation and 31 (20%) died from falls to the playground surface. Most of these deaths (70%) occurred on home playgrounds (Tinsworth 2001).

Reactions: BigEastBasketball
Between 1990 and 2000, 147 children ages 14 and younger died from playground-related injuries. Of them, 82 (56%) died from strangulation and 31 (20%) died from falls to the playground surface. Most of these deaths (70%) occurred on home playgrounds (Tinsworth 2001).

That is a shockingly low total. Only 31 total deaths from playground falls in 10 or 11 years (3/year)? I would've thought more. The strangulation part has to be more preventable. Stuff like eating bad fast food kills many times that.

Wonder if those numbers go up a bit the last decade/going forward because some of the equipment now is a lot bigger than I remember -- even if surfaces softer if you fall, could see some heads getting whacked on the way down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT