ADVERTISEMENT

Berlin

NovaNation1188

VUSports.com Addict
Apr 2, 2007
In Berlin until Sunday morning. Went up to the top of the pointy building today, checked out a museum that was Ancient Greek history thinking it would be WW2 (huge let down for 12 Euro).

Went to an outdoor restaurant and watched Northern Ireland game with a stein and some pig knuckle. Anyone have suggestions for next 2 days? It's supposed to rain all of tomorrow. Ty in advance.

Edit. I speak 0 German. I assumed everyone here spoke some English. Found out that's way off.

Berlin is very different from Munich, Bavaria and many other parts of Germany. Very much an Eastern European influence. Not nearly as much English, especially among people over about 35 or 40. Frankfurt is the business center, also more English (not as fun to visit though). And Berlin is very modern since it was bombed to smithereens and they started over.

Also much bigger and more spread out. Berlin is very overrated IMO relative to Munich.

So far, I'm not blown away. I've heard great things, let's see how tomorrow goes. I guess I can see why people like it, there's a ton of graffiti everywhere. My hotel is right downtown, some areas still feel dicey.

Reactions: kjbert
Spent a decent number of months in Munich last decade, just visited Berlin for a few days a couple years before that. so am biased. But from talking to people living in Munich (locals and ex-pats) fair to say that there are Berlin people and Munich/Bavaria people. Berlin people are the hipster/liberal/artsy types. Not my thing.

Also lots more cool stuff to do within a couple hours of Munich than near Berlin, by a factor of about 100.

For those who don't want to take tjc off of ignore, and don't see a "Bembry's Brother remembered" thread for the same reason, can we have a little explanation?

Another thought would be a running "updated board memes" thread to explain what is going on for the same small group (who all have tjc on ignore).

Reactions: NickleDimer
For those who don't want to take tjc off of ignore, and don't see a "Bembry's Brother remembered" thread for the same reason, can we have a little explanation?

Another thought would be a running "updated board memes" thread to explain what is going on for the same small group (who all have tjc on ignore).

All worthwhile thread memes originate from THC. Big mistake "ignoring" him.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Just did a walking tour. Was decent. I left for Europe last Thursday, it has rained every day since. Absolutely pouring in Berlin right now which is ruining the experience.

I only go on vacation every 3-4 years. Next time I'm going somewhere it's 90 and sunny.

It rains a lot in Berlin. Too bad on the weather, June is usually one of the best times to go. Places like Barcelona and Rome don't have the same weather issues, much better cities to visit. Get on a plane, some easy short flights over there, usually not too expensive.

big_1435756281_image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT