ADVERTISEMENT

Booth - Jensen

ericw

Publisher, VUSports.com
Jul 10, 2001
Lovetron
I think McNick was the first one to make this comparison (in nostradamus fashion - prior to the tournament run):
"I explained to my Non-Nova fan friend how any people are concerned about Booth. He replied why isn't Jay recruited over Booth, maybe Jay is not worried about him, and maybe Donte as well.

I have the feeling and hope Booth will have a Harold Jensen moment and are worries are over.

1 McNick, Feb 28, 2016"

I thought I would compile this info for a comparison between Soph Phil Booth who had a lackluster regular season and stepped up to play a huge role in leading Villanova to a National Title in 2016 and Harold Jensen who had a lackluster regular season and stepped up to play a huge role in leading Villanova to a National Title in 1985.

NCAA Tournament Stats (6 Games):
Stat: Booth / Jensen
FG: 16-28 (.571) / 16-29 (.552)
FT: 8-9 (.889) / 9-12 (.750)
PPG: 7.8 / 6.8
RPG: 1.2 / 1.7
APG: 1.2 / 1.5

Both players had two games where they contributed very little offensively:

Booth's "quiet" games were both in the 2nd weekend of the tournament where he had 0 points against Kansas and only 2 against Miami.

Jensen was scoreless in the Sweet 16 game against Maryland after scoring only 3 in the win against Michigan to advance to the Sweet 16.

Both players had two double-figure scoring games:

Jensen scored 10 points on 5-7 shooting against UNC to help get Villanova to the Final Four and 14 points on 5-5 shooting against the Hoyas in the Title game.

Booth's double-figure games were against Oklahoma (10) in the National Semi-Final and his 20 point outburst against UNC in the Title game.

Both players shot 3-5 from the floor in the first round games - Jensen scoring 8 against Dayton and Booth contributing 7 against UNC-Asheville.

The similarities are amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News