ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Williams

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's a Jersey Shore guy but lying about being "in the shit" is something you just don't do.

ill be shocked if he survives this. if im NBC i have to fire him. he has no credibility left.

1.Bison-College.jpg

Surprised it took the board so long to start discussing this.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

Surprised it took the board so long to start discussing this.
Better tread lightly…you've received your wake up call.

Lester Holt just hit the professional lottery. He works constantly and deserves the job.

Williams had the opportunity to retire from that job like Brokaw. Never saw this one coming.

Does anyone really care? Why are so many people reveling in what could be the end of his career. Will anyone even care about this in 2 months?

Originally posted by nardibynature123:
Didn't he speak at a Nova commencement. I don't know how people lie about this sort of stuff.
as mentioned above, it was 03. it was shitty weather and he made it real brief.

Originally posted by NovaTras22:

Didn't he speak at a Nova commencement. I don't know how people lie about this sort of stuff.
as mentioned above, it was 03. it was shitty weather and he made it real brief.
Like the rest of his career.

LenoWilliams_12_9.jpg

He's the most watched nightly news anchor. $200mm a year in ad revenue for NBC. That's why they haven't fired him yet.

The Katrina thing is almost worse than the helicopter lie because he won a Peabody and other awards for his coverage of the storm.

NBC is obviously waiting to fire him, they are seeing how bad the negative reaction is before pulling the trigger. like Goddell for the NFL if you bring in the money its hard to be fire regardless of situation.

he lied about Katrina coverage? didnt see that.

57407965.jpg

Yes, Williams may have exaggerated the conditions while staying in the Ritz Carlton. Including that gangs tried to rush the hotel, he saw a body float down Canal St, witnessed a suicide, contracted dysentery (maybe he was playing Oregon Trail).

Staff did say that he was distraught and almost cried when they told him that there would be no coffee without running water.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/10/brian-williams-perhaps-misremembered-floating-dead-body-and-gangs-during-katrina-hotel-manager-says/

He spoke at Nova, but he's telling everyone it was Harvard.

Isn't doctoring the Trayvon Martin 911 phone call to fit a narrative far worse than this? I am no George Zimmerman fan, just asking about this on its face.

Originally posted by NovaUSMC01:
Isn't doctoring the Trayvon Martin 911 phone call to fit a narrative far worse than this? I am no George Zimmerman fan, just asking about this on its face.
Don't get dmil started.

Seems like a likeable guy, but absolutely should have been fired before he walked off the set after his admission. If there is to be any journalistic integrity, it has to be. Otherwise you're just coming out and saying that you don't give a $hit -- which is what NBC/Comcast has been doing to this point.

does it matter if someone else's actions are worse or not? he's a journalist who makes a lot of money because he's built up a brand that people trust to tell them the truth. if he's caught lying and exaggerating about things, pointing at someone else who did worse things doesn't make him any less of a liar or truth stretcher.

Originally posted by CWertz:
Don't get dmil started.
Best one month period of any off season. JohnnyGentle was on suicide watch that summer.

Originally posted by NorCalVU10:

Curious what someone like Bob Woodruff thinks on the issue.
He's done a lot of work for Woodruff's charity - along with a lot of others. Shame. I dont get the advantage here really. It's kind of enough to be over in Iraq during war time. No need to add a RPG attack. Just utterly stupid.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

He's done a lot of work for Woodruff's charity - along with a lot of others. Shame. I dont get the advantage here really. It's kind of enough to be over in Iraq during war time. No need to add a RPG attack. Just utterly stupid.
He is just trying to establish that some warzone cred.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

He is just trying to establish that some warzone cred.
Yes I get that, but he was actually there, in a war zone. It actually getting shot at directly really a requisite for cred? He was there. We all saw what could happen just by being there with Woodruff. Add in the Katrina stuff, I dont see how he moves on here.

Some funny tweets about this - and some great memes. "Good news is at least someone has been held accountable for lying about Iraq"

Brian-Williams-Osama-Bin-Laden-meme.jpg

Brian-Williams-Osama-Bin-Laden-meme.jpg

It really doesn't surprise me. People lie about little things all the time. It doesn't help that he got away with it for so long. Obviously back in 2003 he knew that he was lying but I can understand, after 12 years of telling yourself that it happened and noone telling you otherwise that you either start to believe it or stop caring because you'd think it's let go. I'm not saying it's ok, but it's pretty well documented that over time people can really start to believe their lies. I think the real issue here, even worse than Williams, is that there had to be tons of NBC people that knew this was a lie the entire time. The entire crew he was with in Iraq, his producers, other staff involved, etc. all knew that this was a lie the entire time and kept letting this go. That is a complete institutional failure and alot more people should be let go than Williams.

"He spoke at Nova, but he's telling everyone it was Harvard."

That's gr8.

What else did the class of 2003 get bamboozled with?

Originally posted by AvalonFal:

He spoke at Nova, but he's telling everyone it was Harvard.
cap tip

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT