ADVERTISEMENT

Cameras

BigEastBasketball

All VUSports.com Team
Feb 15, 2016
I've been taking a lot more pictures now that I have a baby boi. Mostly iPhone stuff, which really looks terrible when you blow it up (even with the new iPhone, just not happy with the picture quality). I have the original Sony DSC RX100, which takes what I consider really gr8 photos. But, it doesn't have WiFi/NFC so it's kind of a pain in the ass to wait until I get home, toss the memory card in the computer, download everything, re-upload it to Google photos, and then send them to people. So, I'm in the market for a new camera.

It looks like I can go whole-hog and get a DSLR, but those seem to be too much of a pain in the rear to carry around (esp with all your lenses and stuff) and most people who have these are real, actual photographers.

Another option is just getting the updated version of my point and shoot (DSC RX100iii or RX100iv), which is still the best compact camera ever, and has gotten a little more user friendly and now has WiFi so you can shoot the photos straight to your phone.

A third option is something in the middle, like a middle of the road mirrorless camera. It still has the interchangeable lens problems, but it's much less bulky, and being able to get different lenses could be good when he starts to play sports and stuff.

I also kind of need this to be user friendly for my wife, since she has zero photographic skills whatsoever. Even with my Sony, I can't impress upon her how to push the shutter halfway down to let it focus first, then take the picture. It's gotta have a quick autofocus and a decent "do-everything" automatic mode.

What does the benchwarmers hive mind have to say? I would prefer to spend less than a grand on whatever you guys dig up.

All depends how much you give a shit about blowing up photos and therefore need quality. You're probably just going to be scrolling through them on a cell phone/tablet screen not projecting them onto the side of a skyscraper.

Yeah, like I said, my current camera seems to be doing a good job as far as photo quality, although if I'm going to drop $750 on a new one then I want to make sure there's not something better out there for a little bit more money. I'm also a little disappointed in the autofocus, and it could have a better zoom.

If you are looking for something fun or different, I suggest looking into a Fuji Instax camera. The picture quality is not great, but they are really fun and really rewarding to use. The film is kind of pricey, but its worth it because of the novelty. I have a 25S

Did you really just suggest that I buy a film camera when the main complaint about my current camera is that it doesn't have WiFi connectivity to my phone?

Reactions: NickleDimer
Thanks TMJ. Certainly the most cost effective option. What do the camera bois on the board think about the mirrorless cameras like the Canon EOS M3? Seems like a gr8 camera for someone that doesn't want to go full-DSLR, although internet people still complain about slow auto-focus.

I got the entry level Nikon D3300 btw, pretty simple to use, plenty of features. Pretty good reviews (no wifi or NFC though, so have to use that cord), got some deal with two lenses, which worked for me. One basic, one long distance. Great quality images, pretty happy with both the price point and quality. I am a dunce with cameras though, I'm sure plenty can point to better options.

Thanks. That thing looks like the real deal. How much of a pain in the ass is it to lug around with the different lenses? If I'm going to my parents house to sit by the pool and take some pictures, am I going to want to lug that thing around?

Reactions: tomjackleman
Thanks TMJ. Certainly the most cost effective option. What do the camera bois on the board think about the mirrorless cameras like the Canon EOS M3? Seems like a gr8 camera for someone that doesn't want to go full-DSLR, although internet people still complain about slow auto-focus.

one problem with mirrorless is that its not all that popular a format in the US, and is possibly at risk of discontinuation... so it wont get the level of firmware/lens support that you would see in more of a flagship line.

seriously look into a 6d. i've had one for a couple years now and it's been great.

it's full frame, has incredible low light image quality (for real, not like the cellphone makers like to pretend they can deliver), and is relatively affordable. also has wifi and gps built in.

ergonomics are great, and as long as you dont get crazy long lenses, is not all that hard or cumbersome to take with you. you'll still need to use the ol camera phone every now and again when you're out and about without the real camera, but for the controlled situations, around the house, on vac, etc, nothing beats the dslr experience.

Thanks. That thing looks like the real deal. How much of a pain in the ass is it to lug around with the different lenses? If I'm going to my parents house to sit by the pool and take some pictures, am I going to want to lug that thing around?

Not that bad. If you bring the full case, it's about the size of a lunch box that you would bring to school. Easily fits in any small bag, backpack, etc. That'll fit two lenses which detach, which is more than enough. The standard, smaller lens is fine for what you seem to need, the longer one I only used on Safari when I was shooting things far, far away. If you don't need the extra lenses, you can easily fit it in a smaller case.

Takes HD video as well which turned out pretty well. Sample below, was my first day using it as well so no idea if I could've done better, but I was pretty happy with it.

WPOHTtt.jpg

Not that bad. If you bring the full case, it's about the size of a lunch box that you would bring to school. Easily fits in any small bag, backpack, etc. That'll fit two lenses which detach, which is more than enough. The standard, smaller lens is fine for what you seem to need, the longer one I only used on Safari when I was shooting things far, far away. If you don't need the extra lenses, you can easily fit it in a smaller case.

Takes HD video as well which turned out pretty well. Sample below, was my first day using it as well so no idea if I could've done better, but I was pretty happy with it.

WPOHTtt.jpg

whoa - where is this?

one problem with mirrorless is that its not all that popular a format in the US, and is possibly at risk of discontinuation... so it wont get the level of firmware/lens support that you would see in more of a flagship line.

seriously look into a 6d. i've had one for a couple years now and it's been great.

it's full frame, has incredible low light image quality (for real, not like the cellphone makers like to pretend they can deliver), and is relatively affordable. also has wifi and gps built in.

ergonomics are great, and as long as you dont get crazy long lenses, is not all that hard or cumbersome to take with you. you'll still need to use the ol camera phone every now and again when you're out and about without the real camera, but for the controlled situations, around the house, on vac, etc, nothing beats the dslr experience.
The 6d looks great, but it's $1,500 just for the base, plus whatever extra I will have to spend on lenses. A little too rich for my blood. That seems like a real serious piece of equipment.

I have an earlier version of this one and it's been a really nice upgrade from a point & shoot.

Amazon product ASIN B00X409PQS
Came with two lenses when I bought it, and just got my wife a 45mm portrait lens that has been a nice addition (awesome in low light, nice depth of field). All in all I've spent $850 total on it. Also took some Nova football photos with it back a few years ago that came out pretty nice with a 45-150 lens but I needed a nice sunny day to get them.

http://s986.photobucket.com/user/smiceli3/slideshow/Portfolio

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT