ADVERTISEMENT

Choking my way through OK game...ER

VU Clydesdale

All VUSports.com Team
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2005
We had barely stepped foot into the pre-game party in the event center by the NRG Center and I took my first bite of chicken burrito and knew immediately I would be going to the ER. I have had a condition where my esophogus tightens up (Eosinophilic esophagitis "EoE") and on most occasions I can manage to get food through, but unfortunately this time it wasn't going through and nothing could get past (water, saliva or any other food for that matter). I made the decision to just try to relax prior to the game and get through the OK game, knowing that an endoscopy would be needed afterward. I spent the next 3 hours in pain as I had to force myself to dry heave about 15min into a bag in order to get the saliva build up out of my system. I got through the thrashing of OK and then immediately headed to Houston Memorial .

The Houston Memorial visit was one of the worst experiences of my life. Normally during a time where ‘food bola’ is lodged, you are put under through the duration while they scope you and either pull the food out or push it into your stomach. They greatly underestimated the amount of sedation I needed and I woke to what I imagine it would feel like being on a roofie, where I could hear the doctors and nurses talking, but couldn’t move or talk. I heard them mentioning signs of esophongial cancer, taking biopsies, dialating etc and it was one of the most painful experiences being awake while tubes were down my throat to the point of constant gagging. Fortunately, I had the support of two great friends and board members (VU1995, Anthony and Nova2353, Frank) who stayed with me to the painful hour of 4:30am instead of celebrating at the Sonasta, for which I am forever grateful.

I was in a lot of pain and really struggled to breathe in the days and weeks following. After the fantastic championship game, I had to fly to the UK for 1.5 weeks feeling very much under the weather and having to miss all the parade celebrations, but knowing nothing could have been better than sitting in row 19 center court for that final shot and then getting down courtside and having a front row seat of Jenkins picking up his mother after the shot. It took several weeks for me to be able to go up a flight of steps without being completely winded (I am an avid triathlete in the Clydesdale division for guys over 225 lbs) and wondered if I had done serious damage. I also had a concern in the back of my mind that the biopsies would come back with some horrible news.

As it turned out, due to the sustained choking during the OK game, the GI said I incurred aspiration pneumonia, which took weeks to recover from. I evidently could have done some serious damage, but all is ok now and I am on proton inhibitor for the GI condition.

The greatest weekend of my life, was a bit tarnished by this episode, but I thank many of you for your concern and trust I will be staying away from the buffet table in Phoenix!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News