ADVERTISEMENT

DieselGate

Villanova U

All VUSports.com Team
Sep 22, 2014
Broke on Friday, so I figured Monday afternoon is a good time to start a thread on this. VW stock down 20% in monday trading.

People are saying this is potentially the end of diesel engines in passenger cars in the U.S. It could also possibly be the end of the VW brand in the U.S. too, since they have sucked the last few years anyway.

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/b...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...15-after-admitting-u-s-diesel-emissions-cheat

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-be-target-of-u-s-criminal-probe-on-emissions

So many girls born in the late 70s and early 80s that had those forest green Jettas are going to be so bummed.

vin-diesel-11.jpg

Wow, lots of audi's are diesel. I was just looking at the truck and was considering getting one next month (not the diesel). I'm out. That's a terrible business practice. They are going to get crushed.

Wow, lots of audi's are diesel. I was just looking at the truck and was considering getting one next month (not the diesel). I'm out. That's a terrible business practice. They are going to get crushed.
I've owned a few audis now and have had nothing but great success with their cars. I've not owned a diesel, but actually thought about one (also looked at the Porsche Cayenne Diesel, which is an Audi engine, IIRC) when I bought my current car in 2013. This is going to hurt, big time...

(On a side note, this is not hitting any of the audi diesels, other than the A3 - the SUV diesels and the 6/7/8 diesel engine are not covered by this - further I think Audi and VW are largely run separately, but still this hurts)

Loved my Audi, great car and was really leaning towards another one. However, it's tough to support a company that did this. Maybe I'll cave and re-think but doubt it. This is terrible.

Loved my Audi, great car and was really leaning towards another one. However, it's tough to support a company that did this. Maybe I'll cave and re-think but doubt it. This is terrible.
Agree here. Been an Audi/VW person my whole adult life. They doubled down on diesels in the US and are now totally screwed. What am I going to drive now? A BMW like some guido? A M-B like some overweight guy in his 60's? Something American that's going to have plastic everywhere, 5 year old, poorly-thought-out technology, and handle like a bathtub?

Mine is up end of year and I can't figure out what's next. Mrs. really pressuring me to get an SUV and was leaning towards the S Line Q7's, which are nice. You can get those all souped up. If not that, I have no idea what to get. Open to suggestions. She's pushing the Cayenne but I can't justify. Always a Range Rover Sport but they don't do much for me. I need a bigger car but the sedans are all old man cars and I'm not ready to go there.

Sounds like the Q7 is a good choice for your needs. Range Rover Sport is more expensive than the Porsche if you want one with an engine that will get from 0-60 in a respectable amount of time.

ND, need something a little bigger; maybe the Camry.

This brings up a somewhat pet peeve of mine - when people refer to SUVs as a truck. I don't know why this grinds my gears but I always look at a truck as having a truck bed and for hauling.

Reactions: RW_Prescott
Mine is up end of year and I can't figure out what's next. Mrs. really pressuring me to get an SUV and was leaning towards the S Line Q7's, which are nice. You can get those all souped up. If not that, I have no idea what to get. Open to suggestions. She's pushing the Cayenne but I can't justify. Always a Range Rover Sport but they don't do much for me. I need a bigger car but the sedans are all old man cars and I'm not ready to go there.

Take another look at the Cayenne, not much price difference between that, the S7 and the Range Rover Sport and far more reliable than the RRS (at least in my mind.) I also don't think the sedans are old man cars. My colleague has the S6 and that thing is a rocket, the 5 series are still very nice cars. I think an S class is an old man's car. However, 7-series and A8 is bit younger vehicle. Another option for a sportier sedan is the CLS. A couple colleagues have those and have been very happy.

I'd also put in a word for the A7/S7. I have a 2013 A7 and is a nice compromise between a sedan and something sportier (of course this just touches the Audi/ VW comment which is what started this thread, so that is probably out!)

TD, the problem with those cars are the back seats. They are the sport/bucket seats and you cannot fit 2 boosters and a car seat if needed. That's the crux of my problem. I need something where I can put all the kids in a pinch (which never happens but the Mrs. says its' an issue so it's an issue). Which leaves me looking at an E class or a straight A6. I love the S6 but again the back seats are racing seats and don't work. If you do the Cayenne you need to do the GTS and that's another bump up from S-line Q7. Hence, my issue. Also looked at the CLS but they have a console in the middle of the back seat and bucket seats. No good for kids.

TD, the problem with those cars are the back seats. They are the sport/bucket seats and you cannot fit 2 boosters and a car seat if needed. That's the crux of my problem. I need something where I can put all the kids in a pinch (which never happens but the Mrs. says its' an issue so it's an issue). Which leaves me looking at an E class or a straight A6. I love the S6 but again the back seats are racing seats and don't work. If you do the Cayenne you need to do the GTS and that's another bump up from S-line Q7. Hence, my issue. Also looked at the CLS but they have a console in the middle of the back seat and bucket seats. No good for kids.

Listen, I hear you 100%, same situation with me on the back seat. The A7 does fit two boosters, plus a third kid out of seat, which is what we do when I drive that car with the family. The Mrs. has stated in no uncertain terms that I can't have a 3 person backseat. Not sure the A7 or the A6 would fit 3 boosters or 2 boosters and a car seat, but I admittedly have never tested it. Its why when the A7 first came out, and only had buckets in the back I couldn't do it and ended up with the A8L (old body type, my favorite car I've ever owned or will ever own). It's also why the CLS and Panamera where out for me too.

Re: the S-Line Q7 and the GTS Cayenne - I loved the Diesel Cayenne. Not as much acceleration, but the Torque and power were AWESOME. OF course, the reason why we're having this conversation is Diesel engines anyway. Have you thought about the Macan Turbo - looks pretty cool IMHO

(I'll also note the Q7 is notoriously bad on brakes and tires. Good, reliable car - but is just wears them out quickly)

Range Rover with long wheel base. F the sport. Have had a sport in the past, but have had multiple regular Range Rovers (must get supercharged engine). The new long wheel base model is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT