ADVERTISEMENT

Early Thoughts on Sixers Draft

geezer71

All VUSports.com Team
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2001
Realizing that its VERY early in the evaluation process, and assumming that the Sixers end up with a Top 3 pick, which I think is quite realistic----which player or which direction would you go with their pick?
For me personally, I think if they have an opportunity to draft Ben Simmons, thats the way I would go. I think with his ball skills he can easily play the 3, which is a real need---but can also play the 4 if needed. If they are not in a position to draft Simmons, I think I would look to move down a few spots and draft either Jamal Murray or Kris Dunn, who I believe are the best available point guards, a spot they desperately need to fill for the long term. They should end up with 3 or 4 first round picks, maybe even more if they do drop down, and another kid I would target, perhaps with that second first round pick is PG/SG Malik Newman, a kid I saw as a frosh and really loved------I think he has the long-term potential to possibly be even better than Murray or Dunn.
I've only seen some clips of Murray and need to see a little more but based on what I've heard and read, I think he's the real deal with immense upside. I also think Dunn is terrific and plays hard and tough every minute he's on the court, and and I think staying for another year will be very beneficial in fine tuning his already strong skillset for the next level------and like Murray he also appears to be a Top 10 pick at this point.
With Noel and Okafor developing nicely so far at the 4 and 5, with Saric saying this week that he's definitely coming over to play for the Sixers next year, and with Embid possibly and "hopefully" playing next year, I think the front court is really in excellent shape for the future.
So with that said, point guard is really my first priority, but as I said it would be almost impossible for me to pass on a talent like Simmons, and if he's available, I think they take him. Simmons and Newman would sure look good to me and if that were to somehow happen, and I do think that's possible with the Lakers pick (top 3 protected) in their pocket, I think the Sixers rebuilding process becomes greatly accelerated and the foundation for future championship contention would be firmly in place, with or without Embid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagleye5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News