ADVERTISEMENT

End of Game Exchange

paschall

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
Feb 18, 2007
I may be wrong, but it appeared that Talley was upset by something the UALBANY coach said at the end of the game. It was a very brief exchange. Talley looked, and sounded like he was still upset during his after game interview. Anyone else notice?

I definitely noticed. Andy wasn't a happy camper , and the funny thing about it was, that the Albany coach didn't looked ticked when he was talking to Andy. Though maybe Andy was already unhappy with Albany scoring 31 points.

From VU Hoops.com

20140829_pjc_ai8_013.JPG.0.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Tempers of both coaches were high immediately after the game. With 48 seconds left in the game, Villanova took the field for what was assumed to be the victory formation. Instead, Coach Talley let 4-year walk-on senior Fred O'Connor take two handoffs for a total of 20 yards. At the postgame handshake, Albany head coach Greg Gattuso refused to shake as he believed Talley refusing to kneel the ball was "low class." He went on to say that "the great [coaches] kneel there, that's it." Talley called Gattuso's response "bullsh*t." He added, "For him to come into a press conference and criticize me in front of my hometown press for something like that? I mean, if you're gonna be mad at me running up the score, you can talk to me or anyone in this league, I don't run up the score and wouldn't do it. So don't come to Villanova and talk in our press room and talk trash. I'm not buying it." This was the first time these two coaches ever met, and it obviously was not a great first impression on either side.

THe kid who ran the ball twice was #40 and a SENIOR on senior day who never plays. Let the kid get a carry or 2. It would be comparable to putting walk ons in in a Basketball game with 45 secs left and Pat Farrell chucks up a 3 and scores. You have to let those kids get a chance b/c they never do. That is Bush league by the Albany coach to say something. It was senior day

A senior walkon carries the ball on the last two plays. A SENIOR WALKON. Did you notice the Nova sidelines go crazy when O'Connor gained yards. Seemed to me players really love O'Connor. BTW his dad was an assistant at VU under coach Gregory. Fred senior spent his life in football. Ask him if Talley was running it up. Coach Gatuso was pissed at refs most of the game,going onto field at one time to bitch. Then he does that to Coach T. The bush coach resides in Albany.
Good job Coach Talley. Congrats.
Cats play AT Albany next year.

Fred OConnor who coached at Nova might be this young mans grandfather.
This post was edited on 11/16 8:27 PM by UncleEd

O'Connor had 6 carries for 18 yds ALL YEAR!! He never plays. Had 19 yds on that 1st carry. So of course excitement was in the air. Ridiculous of Albany coach. Get a clue.

Great game Talley! every coach would have done the same thing. Talley really went at with him in the press. Next year there will be bad blood for that game. Tally flaunted his 10 playoff apperances and a National Championship after the Albany coach said Talley is no Joe Paterno in class ( who he played for) . What a bum

Brill and Uncle Ed, you both summarized perfectly. The guy was moaning to the refs the whole game. Ed, I remember when Fred O'Connor, Sr. coached here. As soon as I heard the name, I wondered if there was a connection.

The Albany coaches were loud and aggressive throughout the whole game. I was shocked because they are nice guys and actually came up to my family after the game and greeted us very friendly as if nothing ever happened 10 minutes earlier.

I for one, without knowing what was going on, was kind of aggravated with Nova as well. I just wanted to leave. We had clearly won and after sitting still in freezing weather for over 3 hours I was exhausted. It was after 10pm & I had a long drive home back to NY,, but I've sat in snow during games so I was aggravated but understand it's football

Apparently the Albany side was confused as I was so, I will give Albany some slack, but their coach could have handled it better. Maybe getting answers before going off. I saw an exchange between Talley & their coaches right after the game, but didn't hear it.

Some of our fans were saying the exchange included a lot of cursing from the Albany coaches

This post was edited on 11/16 12:23 PM by softness1

Looks twenty years older than Andy as opposed to the other way around, Carrying around dark secrets for years apparently causes aging.

Fred is a great kid. He deserved his moment. We met his parents at the William and Mary. The Albany coach didn't mention that we basically let them score their last touchdown with 2nd and 3rd stringers in the game. And, it's not like Nova was at the goal line looking to run up the score. Fred's first run was from the Nova 30 yard line. It's a shame that their FIRST STRING DEFENSE couldn't stop him.

This post was edited on 11/16 5:16 PM by VU82

prospect: You're right. Gattuso didn't look ticked. It was Andy, when the camera caught his face, that looked ticked. That on field interview was not typical Andy Talley, especially after a win. It's obvious now that he was masking his anger as to what had just taken place. Gattuso then adds insult to injury with his press conference remarks. Andy Talley low class? Wow! No one needs to defend Andy on that score, on or off the field. Interestingly, I was watching the Towson-W&M game earlier in the day. The announcers were talking about W&M's excellent kicker, Carpenter, who was returning after being out for 2 weeks. Reason he missed the games ? He was donating his bone marrow, as part of Andy's Bone Marrow Program. Announcers went on to give kudo's to Andy for what he is done with that Program over the years. Hopefully, Gattuso will apologize for his intemperate and stupid remarks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT