ADVERTISEMENT

EURO 2016 Predictions

TheDean

VUSports.com Addict
May 29, 2001
Second most prestigious national soccer competition after the World Cup. 24 teams in 6 groups are set.

France is hosting, I thnk they can win it. But also the traditional powers of Italy, Germany, Spain aren't as impressive and that could open things up to a team like Austria.

Group A:
Albania
France
Romania
Switzerland

Group B:
England
Russia
Slovakia
Wales

Group C:
Germany
Northern Ireland
Poland
Ukraine

Group D:
Croatia
Czech Republic
Spain
Turkey

Group E:
Belgium
Italy
Republic of Ireland
Sweden

Group F:
Austria
Hungary
Iceland
Portugal

Knockout Stages:

Match 1: Runner-up Group A v Runner-up Group C

Match 2: Winner Group D v 3rd Place Group B/E/F

Match 3: Winner Group B v 3rd Place Group A/C/D

Match 4: Winner Group F v Runner-up Group E

Match 5: Winner Group C v 3rd Place Group A/B/F

Match 6: Winner Group E v Runner-up Group D

Match 7: Winner Group A v 3rd Place Group C/D/E

Match 8: Runner-up Group B v Runner-up Group F

Quarter-finals:

Quarter-final 1: Winner Match 1 v Winner Match 2

Quarter-final 2: Winner Match 3 v Winner Match 4

Quarter-final 3: Winner Match 5 v Winner Match 6

Quarter-final 4: Winner Match 7 v Winner Match 8

Semi-finals:

Semi-final 1: Winner Quarter-final 1 v Winner Quarter-final 2

Semi-final 2: Winner Quarter-final 3 v Winner Quarter-final 4

Final:

Winner Semi-final 1 v Winner Semi-final 2

Group A:
France
Switzerland

Group B:
England
Wales

Group C:
Germany
Poland

Group D:
Croatia
Spain

Group E:
Belgium
Republic of Ireland

Group F:
Austria
Iceland

France beats Belgium.

Think France crashes out early. Benzema dropped a bomb on their team today claiming racism for why he was left off the team. Typical French drama.

Would love to see Ireland advance but think it's too large an ask.

I'm headed to USA/Colombia on Friday to open the Copa America.

Reactions: kjbert
Iceland-Austria happening now

Portugal-Hungary also

3PM:

Ireland-Italy
Belgium-Sweden

Did I read that due to Spain's upset loss, they will match up with Italy in first knockout round game?

Incredible action today, Portugal-Hungary is 3-3, Austria-Iceland 1-1

Not a fan of Kate Markgraf calling games. Keep the broads out of the booth. Sideline reporters or halftime analysis is fine.

Round of 16 set:

Saturday:
Switzerland v. Poland
Wales v. Northern Ireland
Croatia v. Portugal

Sunday:
France v. Ireland
Germany v. Slovakia
Hungary v. Belgium

Monday:
Italy v. Spain
England v. Iceland

No more draws. Two 15-minute OTs and penalty kick shootout if needed in all remaining games.

France in the second half has been fun to watch. Ireland seems out of gas, and is down a man.

Agreed. 2nd half was a blast. Soccer is really growing on me.

They need to get rid of the red card rule.

Yellow card - 5 minutes off the field.
Red Card - 10 minutes off the field, ejection from the game. Team is allowed to use a sub to replace after 10 minutes.

It's hard enough to score with 11 people, the game is too unbalanced when it's 11x10.

Agreed. 2nd half was a blast. Soccer is really growing on me.
The French were wildly arrogant trying to score the third goal in the last 15. Up a man and a goal and they continuously attacked the Irish. Really entertaining, but maybe not the best strategy. Irish had their chances late.

They need to get rid of the red card rule.

Yellow card - 5 minutes off the field.
Red Card - 10 minutes off the field, ejection from the game. Team is allowed to use a sub to replace after 10 minutes.

It's hard enough to score with 11 people, the game is too unbalanced when it's 11x10.
Your proposal would likely increase the amount of time sides are uneven in matches.

Your proposal would likely increase the amount of time sides are uneven in matches.

Right, it would increase scoring opportunities. It would also not devastate a team when it's 11v10 from minute 55 on. I'm flexible on how much time for yellow versus red, but those seem fair. Perhaps more time for worse penalties, flopping automatic 10 minute. Lots of ideas to play with, power plays would make the game much more exciting.

Right, it would increase scoring opportunities. It would also not devastate a team when it's 11v10 from minute 55 on. I'm flexible on how much time for yellow versus red, but those seem fair. Perhaps more time for worse penalties, flopping automatic 10 minute. Lots of ideas to play with, power plays would make the game much more exciting.
So your solution to a team playing down a man is to have more time of teams being down a man? I don't get it.

I also enjoy soccer as is, and don't see a reason to try to make it like a different sport.

The French were wildly arrogant trying to score the third goal in the last 15. Up a man and a goal and they continuously attacked the Irish. Really entertaining, but maybe not the best strategy. Irish had their chances late.

I loved it and want more arrogance. Great to watch. I don't pretend to watch soccer but seem the difference between the France and Germany vs. US is the skill in the attack and midfield. Defensively we seem to be capable of handlING our own. The difference in skill to my untrained eye seems significant.

So your solution to a team playing down a man is to have more time of teams being down a man? I don't get it.

I also enjoy soccer as is, and don't see a reason to try to make it like a different sport.

I don't mind the 11v10 as much as 11v10 as a permanent disadvantage after red card or 2nd yellow. Teams can't come back when down 11v10.

Great win for Germany - could have been 4 even 5 but a masterclass in many phases; their players are extremely talented both technically and fundamentally....Other teams can score on a counter or a brilliant play here or there, but Germany has a game plan and the players to execute it - which should favor them in every match going forward.

I don't mind the 11v10 as much as 11v10 as a permanent disadvantage after red card or 2nd yellow. Teams can't come back when down 11v10.
You might enjoy the second half of Argentina and Chile. 10 v 10 after two first half refs (both terrible calls). Wouldn't be surprised to see a brawl at some point (as much as soccer players can brawl). Messi with a more open field should be worth the watch alone.

No, I enjoyed the world cup. Now they might get me every other year. My middle guy is also a soccer stud.

All said, this final is boring.
First half was much better. Chile has gone into a bit of delay. Ten on ten also has tired some of the players. Both sides with good chances. Messi is just being tackled when he attacks in the front third.

The problem with reds is 90% of the time is was caused by flopping and then a team is screwed. There should also be more than one ref, they miss a ton. Why not have more eyes on the field?

The problem with reds is 90% of the time is was caused by flopping and then a team is screwed. There should also be more than one ref, they miss a ton. Why not have more eyes on the field?
I shouldn't answer this because I'm definitely just getting trolled, there's three officials that can call fouls and flops. Regardless, nice work. Had me going.

I respect you too much as a poster to troll. I don't count the sideline officials because they only call offsides (which is another BS rule inside the 18 yard box). I'm saying get 2 refs running around the middle of the field -- right now there's only one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT