ADVERTISEMENT

FBS opponents

Gangtackle11

'Nova Nation Sensation
Jul 14, 2012
Cats get Pitt this year & Temple for 2017 & 2018. Does anyone know if we have FBS games in future seasons?

I'd love to play Duke or Wake Forest if the old Big East partners (BC, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt) were a 1 & done deal.

Maybe even give UNC a shot at us in another sport.

Reactions: Bobby Dix
Rules disallowing games against non fbs opponents may be in place after 2018.

Rules disallowing games against non fbs opponents may be in place after 2018.

Maybe, but the ACC are scheduling CAA as recent as this week with Albany announcing a 2018 date with Pitt. Delaware has a couple of ACC opponents scheduled & I believe Bucknell is playing Temple in 2019.

I know the Big 10 & I think the Big 12 said no more FCS games.

Maybe, but the ACC are scheduling CAA as recent as this week with Albany announcing a 2018 date with Pitt. Delaware has a couple of ACC opponents scheduled & I believe Bucknell is playing Temple in 2019.

I know the Big 10 & I think the Big 12 said no more FCS games.
That is good news. The basketball championship only helps. Looks more prestigious to have Nova on your schedule compared to most other FCS teams.

Cats get Pitt this year & Temple for 2017 & 2018. Does anyone know if we have FBS games in future seasons?

I'd love to play Duke or Wake Forest if the old Big East partners (BC, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt) were a 1 & done deal.

I don't think Nova has any FCS games after 2018. Not yet.
Agree that hoops national title helps.
Temple v Bucknell. Very interesting

I agree playing Duke and Wake Forest brings prestige to the football program. Wake Forest played at Villanova in 1988 (31 to 11 loss at Villanova Stadium). And it should be fairly easy to schedule a game in Philadelphia with Duke as they have plenty of alums in the area.

I don't think an FBS school would ever go on the road to play an FCS school.

We played navy home and home a few years back. But that before all this FCS stuff really gained steam

We played Navy JV home in '85. We later played real Navy twice, losing painfully close games in Annapolis.

Still can't understand why we haven't been able to play Army and Navy . They each play 1AA/FCS teams every year. I think we would beat Army most years and so maybe they don't want to play us. But with all of Villanova's Naval connections, I am surprised that game doesn't happen more. Fordham played Army the last two years, and they play Navy this year for God's sake. Does anyone know?

Still can't understand why we haven't been able to play Army and Navy . They each play 1AA/FCS teams every year. I think we would beat Army most years and so maybe they don't want to play us. But with all of Villanova's Naval connections, I am surprised that game doesn't happen more. Fordham played Army the last two years, and they play Navy this year for God's sake. Does anyone know?

It would make for a nice game - probably a decent draw as well

Army opens at Temple. I was an Army fan for 4 years in the 80's due to an unforeseen (from my perspective) shafting one Holy Thursday at midnight. They were a quasi-power under Jim Young. Legit bowl team. What's happened up there after '85 is a disgrace. A middle of the pack caliber Patsy League club.

Surely you jest. The Board of Trustees vote to drop football had an eerie resemblance to the Trial of Jesus. For one thing, the football supporters on the Board were not told about the meeting, like Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea were similarly missing from the Sanhedrin that night, 1951 years earlier. Howie himself coined the term, The Midnight Shafting. But now, all is forgiven if not entirely forgotten.

Reactions: ericw
Surely you jest. The Board of Trustees vote to drop football had an eerie resemblance to the Trial of Jesus. For one thing, the football supporters on the Board were not told about the meeting, like Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea were similarly missing from the Sanhedrin that night, 1951 years earlier. Howie himself coined the term, The Midnight Shafting. But now, all is forgiven if not entirely forgotten.
Hard to imagine what our football situation would be if the Midnight Shafting hadn't happened. Would we be FBS, and if so, in what Conference? Would we have dropped football somewhere along the way or dropped down to our current FCS level? Even more difficult to know how that may have played out than trying to predict the next moves in Conference re-alignments.

Reactions: ericw
duke and wake forest.
Prestige ????
More phoney baloney Wildcat fans.
As always having to impress themselves with
prestige opponents.
As per the usual NONSENSE.

duke and wake forest.
Prestige ????
More phoney baloney Wildcat fans.
As always having to impress themselves with
prestige opponents.
As per the usual NONSENSE.

If you hate us so much, why even post?

Since 1985, FCS has provided a safe harbor to the VU program. After 20 years, the jury is still out on the UCONN upgrade, which is the nearest thing to a yardstick. In the short run it looks like the upgrade hurt UCONN basketball. nBE now looks like its landed on its feet, thanks to Jay and the kids. Meanwhile, VU alums have voted against football with their feet and so have the students. A cadre of hard core devotees have kept enough pressure on Admin for them to keep a hands off stance toward arguably one of the most successful programs on campus (from an on the field standpoint).

Last Oct. 31st was a classic example of cross-purpose (more like cross-eyed) marketing. Playing a game on Halloween night to gain exposure on a 4th tier cable network was a net negative. Cats managed to win an uninspiring affair to continue on the road to the JMU 22 yard line, where they ultimately fumbled the season away. This season promises more of the same, or possibly a last hurrah for Andy. Who knows? A turnover prone Frosh rarely morphs into a Drew Gordon-style QB over one summer, but we'll see won't we? But I digress. There isn't an FBS opportunity on the horizon in any case, so the road back to relevance won't be passing through Villanova this Fall or any time soon. Might as well sit back and contemplate the odds of Big Smoove repeating.

I think it is unlikely that you'll see VU play Navy or Army. As full members of the PL, Army and Navy were part of the decision a few years ago to allow football scholarships for the league. As part of that decision, there was some type of unofficial agreement or acknowledgement that these two would regularly schedule their FCS league brethren.

Army has had Fordham the last couple of years (in part because Fordham has been full scholly before it was allowed) and Colgate has played Navy the last couple of years. Army has Lafayette in '16 an Fordham again in '17. I'm not sure about '18 & '19, but Bucknell is on the schedule for '20 & '21.

Navy has Fordham in '16, Lehigh in '18, Holy Cross in '19. I had also thought Lehigh was playing Navy in '17, but that might be unconfirmed.

I think it is unlikely that you'll see VU play Navy or Army. As full members of the PL, Army and Navy were part of the decision a few years ago to allow football scholarships for the league. As part of that decision, there was some type of unofficial agreement or acknowledgement that these two would regularly schedule their FCS league brethren.

Army has had Fordham the last couple of years (in part because Fordham has been full scholly before it was allowed) and Colgate has played Navy the last couple of years. Army has Lafayette in '16 an Fordham again in '17. I'm not sure about '18 & '19, but Bucknell is on the schedule for '20 & '21.

Navy has Fordham in '16, Lehigh in '18, Holy Cross in '19. I had also thought Lehigh was playing Navy in '17, but that might be unconfirmed.

would love for another navy vs villanova match up from years ago. Two of my favorite teams...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT