ADVERTISEMENT

#FreeBobbyShmurda!

in all honesty, his song was the most widely enjoyed song of 2014. It was a vastly understood joke in the US, but the popularity was real. It's kind of like UB40- Red Red Wine in terms of success . Was even big in Japan and other countries that had no idea what the hell was actually being said in the song.

2014 was the worst year for hip hop in recent memory. Very few of the bigger names put out albums, and frauds like Iggy Azalea somehow got attention. Run The Jewels 2 and the Shmurda Dance were probably the only enjoyable things that emerged.

There is a dearth of rappers under 30 who make music that people will remember 20 years from now.

Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid Maad City is a classic that will stand the test of time in my opinion. I think it's hard to deny that Drake will be remembered, whether you love him or hate him. His following, especially among young women, is massive and loyal. He's more R&B than rap though. Kanye is 37 already - wow.

Obviously, if those are the only names who come to mind there is a huge shortage. It seems more and more like kids are going to basically be listening to robot music in 20 years. This electronic music crap has to stop.

I dont know who this idiot is but with a name like that he's gotta be an asshole.

Call me when rappers can put out music that rivals this...

220px-Mobbdeeptheinfamous1995.jpg

This is some 20 year old kid with a bright future locked up in the dog pound on excessive bail for some trumped up charges to make the media happy. Look, let the kid fight the merits of his case in the court room, but don't deprive him of his pre-trial liberty by way of excessive bail. Kid ain't running no where.

Let all the dogs out!!

There are plenty of tracks from those albums in my top 100 "most played" on iTunes. Illmatic alone has 4 songs in my top 25. I think Kendrick's Good Kid M.a.a.d City stands up to them without a doubt. I think to truly fall in love with any new music you need to be either emotionally available or inebriated to accomplish it. This is why humans tend to love the music from our teenage years and our twenties the most.

what I'm sayin is smoke a j and listen to good kidd maad city and you might feel the same way about it as you do about these classics.

ball,

clearly Bobby doesn't have a good head on his shoulders (despite their public personas, most rappers actually do and know what boundaries not to cross once they are famous).

The reason he is not being supported by his label or others in the industry is that it's clear he will never make money for them off of another song. Blatantly obvious one hit wonder. If he had real talent, he'd have financial backers. But he doesn't - he got lucky that the internet latched onto the 20 second span of his song that is catchy.

Most of his charges are from before he hit it big though.

They put a bail package together but had to withdraw it. $2 mill is a real high number in nyc for this stuff. Half a mill is more reasonable. The problem is that if you submit a bail package then the backers are under scrutiny to see where the funds are coming from, etc... Also, the label (epic) has been supportive, but their parent company (sony) is not. They had a bail package ready to go a month ago but pulled it back as there were some concerns.

This kid might be a one hit wonder, but he could stick. Obviously hot boy is a catchy tune that he will be unlikely to duplicate, but the fan base he's reaching out to might like his other stuff (I don't get half the stuff TI or Lil Wayne put out, but they get it done). And you know he has plenty of street cred now, as he's being cast as the driving force behind one of the most violent gangs in the city at just 19. I don't think it is a concern as to the future of the product issue as much as it that this bail is much higher than normal and it is logistically tough to put it together.

Wu Tang Forever and the Eminem Show were the last 2 rap CDs I actually purchased. I believe they belong in the pantheon of the great albums from the 90's.

The album reakwon put out with pete rock and smiff and wessun a few years ago, monumental, is pretty good. That's the bets one I have paid attention to in a while.

I find it hard to believe Raekwon or anyone associated with Wu-Tang has put out anything remotely decent in the last few years. Or by "few years" do you mean like 10 yrs? Wu-Tang's new stuff sucks donkey balls. RZA started making money doing movies and stopped giving a shit about making good beats. Everything was driven by their beats in the 90's. Now when he makes an "album" it's totally half-assed and nothing but an attempt at a cash grab driven by their name cache from the past. They prey on old, stupid die hards to just buy it because it's got a big "W" on it.

This one was driven more by pete rock, the guy who laid the track for biggie's juicy way back in the day. I think he's the primary name on the album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RA1wEOfpA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZokp9VLHOM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-FPKR6N_ZEo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT