ADVERTISEMENT

Great Match-Up

Jul 28, 2013
Pretty quiet board for a great match-up and a potential playoff game:

CAA's #1 Scoring Offense vs. #1 Scoring Defense (NOVA)
CAA's #1 Pass Efficiency Offense vs. #1 Pass Efficiency Defense (NOVA)
CAA's #1 Red Zone Offense vs. #1 Red Zone Defense (NOVA)
CAA's Most Passing TD's -17 vs. Fewest Passing TD's Allowed - 2 (NOVA)
CAA's Most TD's - 38 vs. CAA's Fewest TD's Allowed - 11 (NOVA)

IMO ... the keys to the game are: 1) our 3rd down defense; and, 2) our ability to run the ball enough to sustain some drives and give the Def a rest as JMU runs a high temp Off.

With Gudzak, I think Cats win by 10. Without, a much closer game. I'll go 27-24 and a first round playoff game at Fordham. (fingers crossed).

No matter a great second half of the season for the Nova players and coaches.

Yeah, maybe everyone is nervous and doesn't want to jinx the Cats by talking it up. I am on my way. First time to see a game at JMU. Hope we have a representative crowd that can make some noise to help the momentum.

I like the positive vibes. They are very unlikely to get Fordham as committee does their collective best to avoid rematches in 1st round.

I'd say right church, wrong pew. The Patriot League, but Colgate more likely.

Outside chance they send NEC winner to Nova which will be either Duquesne or St. Francis, Pa.

Pretty quiet board for a great match-up and a potential playoff game:
Some thoughts Gud
CAA's #1 Scoring Offense vs. #1 Scoring Defense (NOVA)
CAA's #1 Pass Efficiency Offense vs. #1 Pass Efficiency Defense (NOVA)
CAA's #1 Red Zone Offense vs. #1 Red Zone Defense (NOVA)
CAA's Most Passing TD's -17 vs. Fewest Passing TD's Allowed - 2 (NOVA)
CAA's Most TD's - 38 vs. CAA's Fewest TD's Allowed - 11 (NOVA)

IMO ... the keys to the game are: 1) our 3rd down defense; and, 2) our ability to run the ball enough to sustain some drives and give the Def a rest as JMU runs a high temp Off.

With Gudzak, I think Cats win by 10. Without, a much closer game. I'll go 27-24 and a first round playoff game at Fordham. (fingers crossed).

No matter a great second half of the season for the Nova players and coaches.
Gudzak is out. JMU ran up most of their offensive stats with that super transfer QB. He is out. Average 31 without him. Cats can handle that. Nova running game will really miss Gudzik. True frosh Forbes is going to be a wonderful RB. Just not sure he is ready now. Banged up Underwood must have a super game. Defense carries us to a win.
If you are going to the game ,as a VU fan, expect to be abused. JMU worst fans in the conference. However their worst group of fans , the students, started Thanksgiving break today.
This Villanova team is special. They have really come together. They suffered much this season. A win tomorrow would be great. And I believe it will happen.

Reactions: Bobby Dix
Ed, I hope your right...we had a crazy year with the injuries and everything else....let's win tomorrow..peace

We set the tone. Win toss & defer, they run it back 98 for td.

we played with our heads up our butts in the first half; how can you allow a touchdown from 41 yards with 12 seconds to go?

Defense played so well until that last play. Unbelievable.

Offense & Special teams are still on the bus back at Nova.

They get the ball to start 2nd half. Need to make a statement that they are all in from the start!

For the record GECat, the defense held one of the best offenses in the country to 120 yards and no points until that play. Before the game, we would have all taken 7 points given up at HT.

Perhaps your criticism ought to be aimed at ST which are essentially not coached and an offense that deals with a combination of injuries and a lack of game planning.

One play does not lose a game ... And this defense had plenty of great plays ... one bad one.

Great half by the Nova defense. They held up their end.

disappointng!!!!!!

seen this or similar before...multiple times this year

I give the team a lot of credit, despite a very slow start and that awful loss to Penn, they had a very good season. Defense was amazing. Our running game was strong. We really need to figure out our passing game.

I think our QB did a very good job, he can run well, but unless he can hold on to the ball and add more of a passing game to his overall skill set, I am not sure if he will be starting for another 3 years. I am certainly rooting for him though!

don't know what's in the pipeline but talented frosh correct frosh mistakes. great promise shown sans turnovers

For the record GECat, the defense held one of the best offenses in the country to 120 yards and no points until that play. Before the game, we would have all taken 7 points given up at HT.

Perhaps your criticism ought to be aimed at ST which are essentially not coached and an offense that deals with a combination of injuries and a lack of game planning.

One play does not lose a game ... And this defense had plenty of great plays ... one bad one.

agreed bro....the offense gave JMU 21 points; the special teams gave them 7 points; JMU's offense only scored 10 points. the QB has to learn to tuck the ball in better. He played better each succeeding game this year. He may not be JB but he's going to be good.

Good game. Nova defense was strong JMU offense only had 10 points until those turnovers in the 4th. Our qb just doesn't command the same respect in the passing game as vad did which allows teams to focus on the run. Why schor led our team with 19 carries is beyond me.

They say we share the caa title but JMU went 0-2 vs Richmond and w&m. We don't deserve a share

Totally agree about defense. They weren't the reason JMU had 38.

Frustrating end to a frustrating season. The defense deserved much better. The turnovers returned for TD's cost the Cats against Penn, Towson and now JMU. 8-3 was very doable for this team. Hopefully the freshmen learned from the experience and the special teams improve a great deal next season. Maybe a few new assistant coaches for 2016!

Best of luck in the future to the seniors and...onto to basketball.

story of a lot of breakhearting games...

a W right in the palm of your hand but failure to grab it and it gets taken away....

Good luck to all CAA teams that find their name called tomorrow on the selection show. Rep the conference well!

I can accept losing when the other team beats you. Villanova beat themselves. All you have to do is look at the boxscore. 453 yds to 323 yds. If VU holds on to the ball not only do they win, they win easily.

I can accept losing when the other team beats you. Villanova beat themselves. All you have to do is look at the boxscore. 453 yds to 323 yds. If VU holds on to the ball not only do they win, they win easily.
Time of possession was 36 to 23 in favor of Cats. There were some bright spots, but after JR went down, the team wasn't quite the same. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. They killed VU in the Penn, Towson, and JMU game. Penn was a fluke, VU dominated Towson most of the game but two pick sixes killed us, and then today. I can accept the W&M loss. They were the better team that day.

In spite of the injuries the Cats had this year,I thought Coach Talley and staff did a good job of keeping this team together especially after John Robertson went down for the season. Villanova needed to play a mistake free game today against James Madison and unfortunately mistakes proved to be their undoing today and that was a reason the Cats are not going to the playoffs today. The losses to Penn and Towson also hurt the Cats as well. Next year should be a better year for the Cats since Zack Bednarczyk will have a year under his belt and hopefully Coach Talley and staff are able to pick up a few receivers in this recruiting class. Hopefully a return trip to the playoffs happens for the Cats.

Reactions: Togo
Pick 6
Fumble recovery for 6
Kickoff return for 6
Jmu recovers their onside kick
two more possessions end in a qb fumble and interceptions

This loss is on our QB and special teams. Doesn't mean Zach can't be good later, but he was horrible today.

Reactions: centraljerseycat
Team battled thru a lot. Wish them the best especially the Srs . Hope JR gets a shot at the Pros.

Season reminds me of a line in a Bonjovi song "Promised me heaven but put me thru Hell" ! Tom

Pick 6
Fumble recovery for 6
Kickoff return for 6
Jmu recovers their onside kick
two more possessions end in a qb fumble and interceptions

This loss is on our QB and special teams. Doesn't mean Zach can't be good later, but he was horrible today.
The VU kickoff team is packed with starters. How the heck can they let a guy go 98 yds for six? Also, I don't understand the win the toss then defer strategy.

Toss and defer is to put our best , our Dee out first and to set the tone!

Agree on the return question. Tom

Yeah, maybe everyone is nervous and doesn't want to jinx the Cats by talking it up. I am on my way. First time to see a game at JMU. Hope we have a representative crowd that can make some noise to help the momentum.

how was your experience at the game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT