ADVERTISEMENT

Great win today vs Oral Roberts

Coach4pride

Diaper Dandy
Dec 3, 2003
Went to the game today and Villanova had an awesome game plan to slow down the fast breaking, trapping, Golden Eagle team.

Got down early 15-5 but settled down and played awesome defense. Perretta switched from man to a match-up 2-3 zone that just stifled ORU. Their shooters could not get open looks, they never attacked the high post so Nova stayed back and watched the baseline runners.

ORU tried a trapping 2-1-2 but Nova spread them out and hit multiple three's and constant high post jumpers. When ORU went to man to man the backscreens and slips seemed to confuse them and got open looks.

If ORU averges 105 ppg then the Wildcat women held them to less than half of their usual total. Hardly any transition buckets for ORU because the Nova women got back on defense and had few TO's.

I have read on here about the Nova offense. Well, Perretta never got on one player today about shooting. If anything, he got on them when they didn't shoot! If I was an offensive minded player I would love this system. Green light to shoot if open!

If Nova is hitting shots, look out. Their offense will get them open looks from outside, they just need to hit them. We'll see if they can stay hot.

By they way, if you have not visited the Naval Academy it is an awesome place. The museum itself is unreal with the all the historical artifacts and information displayed. Beautiful campus too.

Quite in agreement on all counts - game and Naval academy. The naval museum is terrific and was just re-opened after being closed for a year-long modernization. Also not to be missed is the Chapel and the crypt of John Paul Jones. A beautiful campus - our taxdollars at work for us.

Coach4,

Harry's teams rarely if ever go for offensive rebounds; they rush back on defense to prevent easy baskets. I have only been to the USNA twice; my uncle USNA 1920 stated the Naval V-12 program in 1943 at VU.

ptenter, Has Leer played at all yet?

Both freshman as of now are redshirting.

Whitecat -

It was surprising to me that Harry redshirted Leer, especially with the uncertainty of whether Scanlon's feet would hold up for the duration of the season. Nevertheless, both Leer and Burford have been said to be pretty impressive in practice and preseason scrimmages. Hopefully something to look forward to.

No official release yet on the rumored three signees from last week.

It was a win.
Maybe even a good win.
Beating Oral Roberts is never a great win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT