ADVERTISEMENT

GW 76, Villanova 66

Jan 9, 2013
Villanova generally played good defense, because practically every time GW was on offense, GW either lost control of the ball or missed a shot.

Unfortunately, practically every time GW fumbled the ball or missed a shot, they got it right back.

On many GW possessions, especially in the second half, GW missed 2 or three shots, but always got the offensive rebounds.

For the game, GW outrebounded Villanova by 22, 53-31.

Villanova got to within 4 in the second half, but when a team keeps giving the other team second and third opportunities, surely it's difficult to win.

After Villanova closed to within 4 at 46-42, GW missed 4 shots and grabbed 4 rebounds in the next 40 seconds, before finally making a layup. Villanova never got that close again.

How often does Villanova win when they get outrebounded by 22?

In the Big East Tournament loss to Marquette, in which Marquette outrebounded Villanova 7-0 at the end of the game and won 56-53, the taller Marquette team only outrebounded Villanova by 9 for the game. Even in the 26 point loss earlier in the season to DePaul at DePaul, Villanova was only outrebounded by 9.

Other NIT observations:

1) I thought the officiating was pretty dreadful in both NIT games. I thought Quinnipiac was hurt in the first game by bad officiating, and I think Villanova was hurt in this game by bad officiating. Especially bad was the play in the second half where the ref called a jump ball and the head ref overruled her and called a foul on Villanova. Also, Kavunaa Edwards was called for travelling by the same head ref when it didn't appear Edwards moved her feet.

2) Why did Harry only play Caroline Coyer 18 minutes in this game? I though the game might turn around in the second half after Caroline Coyer pushed a GW player after a struggle for the ball and the referee warned both players. Caroline Coyer seemed to be fired up after that play and scored 9 points in the second half. However, Villanova never seemed to go on a sustained run, and after Leer fouled out, GW drove to the hoop on every possession or took 5 foot jumpers. Which GW kept missing over and over, but always got the rebound.

3) As I wrote earlier, GW beat St. Joseph's in the A-10 Tournament, and split with St. Joseph's during the regular season, and had a better A-10 conference record than St. Joseph's, so I'm not sure why St. Joseph's made the NCAA Tournament, while GW was placed in the NIT.

4) What can Villanova do to recruit another reliable rebounder in the tradition of Courtney Mix and Laura Sweeney?

Nice post TC. Villanova definitely needs some rebounders!!! Start recruiting one or two or three now!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT