ADVERTISEMENT

Hamels

TheDean

VUSports.com Addict
May 29, 2001
Growing number of SPs on trade market could hurt Phillies
Corey Seidman

In April, the idea that Cole Hamels could still be a Phillie on Aug. 1 would have been met with astonishment. The entire point of the 2015 season for the Phils was to develop young players, including those expected to be acquired for their biggest trade chip, Hamels.

But here we are on July 23, eight days away from the non-waiver trade deadline, and despite cautious optimism from Ruben Amaro Jr. that a deal can be struck before 4 p.m. on July 31, three recent developments have complicated the market:

Whose decision is it really?
There's the crowded front-office picture, with Amaro still serving as GM and making phone calls, Pat Gillick remaining president and ultimate decision-maker until the season ends, and Andy MacPhail waiting in the wings to take over for Gillick. It seems the Phils will give MacPhail some input in trade talks, but how much? What happens if Gillick prefers one trade package and MacPhail likes another? Does the president on his way out make the franchise-shifting trade, or does he step aside and compromise with MacPhail?

The uncertain dynamic has resulted in the increased belief that Hamels could be held onto until the winter. If he's not injured over the season's final two months, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Shopping Hamels at the winter meetings would allow MacPhail to talk with as many as 29 other teams, as opposed to the handful that are interested and equipped to add a player as talented and expensive as Hamels at the deadline.

It would also give MacPhail more time to survey the market and pick which package he likes best. Tough to argue with a more deliberate approach than what Amaro took with Cliff Lee and the Mariners the last time the Phillies traded an ace.

Sure, most Phillies fans would be disappointed if the deadline comes and goes with no Hamels trade, but he'll be owed about $7.5 million less this winter than he'd be owed if acquired on July 31, which should also increase his trade value.

It would be a risk to hold onto Hamels, though, no doubt about that. The Phils were unable to trade Lee at last year's deadline, and later that night he went down with an elbow injury that has been catastrophic to the Phils' rebuild. A healthy Lee would have brought back some nice pieces. If Hamels were also to go down ... well, let's not even think about that.

More arms available
This point is more important than the other two. There are just way more starting pitchers available right now than expected.

Entering the season, it looked like the July market for starters would include Hamels, Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto and Mike Leake, Washington's Doug Fister and Oakland's Scott Kazmir.

But the Marlins struggled and now Dan Haren and Mat Latos are available.

The Rangers have fallen flat, making Yovani Gallardo and Colby Lewis potential trade pieces.

The Brewers could move Mike Fiers.

The Padres could trade one or more of James Shields, Ian Kennedy, Tyson Ross and Andrew Cashner.

The White Sox didn't contend the way they hoped, which could result in another Jeff Samardzija trade.

The Braves might think about testing the market on the young and talented Julio Teheran, who's disappointed in 2015.

And let's not forget about Tigers ace David Price, a free agent destined for close to $200 million this winter, who could be moved by a wildly disappointing Detroit club.

All of these available arms have shifted the market. Is Hamels still the white whale?

Of the aforementioned pitchers, Price, Cueto, Kazmir, Leake, Fister, Gallardo, Samardzija, Kennedy, Latos and Haren are all rentals. All of them will be free agents this winter and rentals don't have nearly as much value as they did under the old free-agent compensation system. Prior to 2013, a team could trade for a rental, extend him the qualifying offer after the season, and if he didn't sign it, the spurned team could get a first- or second-round draft pick from the club that signed the player.

That is no longer allowed and that's why trades like a half-season of Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler no longer take place.

That should all make Hamels more valuable than the others, right? Not necessarily, considering some of the most starting pitching-needy teams — Houston, Toronto, Kansas City — are not exactly equipped to take on years of salary. A rental like Price or Cueto might make more sense for the Astros, Blue Jays and Royals, especially since rentals figure to demand less of a prospect haul than a player under years of control.

(Update, 1:12 p.m.: Looks like the Astros did indeed prefer a rental. They acquired Kazmir from the Athletics on Thursday for three prospects.)

This is why you're still seeing the Dodgers, Red Sox and Rangers mentioned as the most realistic fits for Hamels. Even though Boston and Texas are pretty much out of the race, both teams could use Hamels in 2016 and beyond.

That doesn't mean Hamels won't be moved, it just means that those interested clubs will probably try to add a solid rental pitcher first until realizing the price will still be high on Price, Cueto and some of the others.

The sheer number of available starting pitchers should delay any final decisions until close to the 4 p.m. deadline on July 31. GMs will try to drive the prices down until it's too late and they're backed into a corner and need to make their move.

Huge start upcoming
No executive in his right mind will alter his opinion of Hamels based on two untimely poor starts in July. Hamels has the longest active streak in the National League of 30-plus starts and 190-plus innings, making him not only one of the game's best 15 pitchers, but also one of the most durable.

But what happens if Hamels is rocked again at Wrigley Field this Saturday? Would three straight clunkers be too troublesome a trend for a GM to stomach?

Worth noting that Saturday's game starts at 4:05 p.m. and that Hamels has always been much worse during day games than night games. At night, Hamels has a career 3.13 ERA and 1.11 WHIP. During the day, he has a 3.70 ERA and 1.23 WHIP, with a lower strikeout rate, a higher walk rate, a higher home run rate and an opponents' batting average 20 points higher than at night.

Hamels, and the Phillies, badly need one of his seven-inning, two-run performances this weekend.

230831_1280x720.jpg

Brrua told us this wouldn't happen. Someone who could it be, said otherwise. Price being available doesnt help.

Intellectual honesty. Go get some!

No one said there wouldn't be anyone else available.

Most are all rentals.

Brrua told us this wouldn't happen. Someone who could it be, said otherwise. Price being available doesnt help.

You have to ask yourself do you give up a really good prospect(s) for a rental or a guy you have control over for three more seasons at a rate well below what you will pay for a comparable FA pitcher. See Lester for the most recent example. I am still pretty sure Hamels will be moved.

You have to ask yourself do you give up a really good prospect(s) for a rental or a guy you have control over for three more seasons at a rate well below what you will pay for a comparable FA pitcher. See Lester for the most recent example. I am still pretty sure Hamelswill be moved.

This is why Dodgrrs are best bet. They want to win it. Money isn't a hurdle. Kershaw-Grienke-Hamels gives them better chance. Greinke may walk next year and controlling Hamels is more appealing when you factor this in.

If no one steps up, then you keep him and move him over the winter. Boston will be interested then because they are in the predicament they are now because their starting pitching blows.

He'll be moved just as he could have beem moved 6 months ago. We had an entire 300 post thread about the fact there would see loads of pitchers available so the value wasnt goING up as burrs said it would. In your attempt to support all thinges cop you forget what you even argue.

Dodgers have a ton of good prospects. You'll never get Seager or Urias but they have a long list of other attractive options:

DeLeon
Holmes
Schebler
Verdugo
Anderson
Reed

Rumor is the Phillies are asking for 5 of these guys.

He'll be moved just as he could have beem moved 6 months ago. We had an entire 300 post thread about the fact there would see loads of pitchers available so the value wasnt goING up as burrs said it would. In your attempt to support all copover you forget what you even argue.

I argued his value wouldn't go down unless injury or poor play came about.

Dodgers have a ton of good prospects. You'll never get Seager or Urias but they have a long list of other attractive options:

DeLeon
Holmes
Schebler
Verdugo
Anderson
Reed

Same guy who gave us the Seattle rumor with Ben Revere.

DeLeon
Holmes
Schebler
Verdugo
Anderson
Reed

I will take it as, if they do not get 4 of these draft pics then they are getting hosed.

Burrs it's pretty common knowledge the Phils are asking for a ton. All the main national guys are saying the same thing.

Burrs it's pretty common knowledge the Phils are asking for a ton. All the main national guys are saying the same thing.

The national guys are j/o's and will believe whatever the teams the like tell them. Of course they're asking for a lot, but it's being embellished

See, Ben Revere for SEA's top prospect.

Per Rosenthal:

"Momentum building towards Hamels trade. Offers have improved since no-hitter. Teams asking for less money, offering better players."

Teams most interested: Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, Rangers, and Yankees.

Reds and Royals in serious discussions for Cueto. This would actually be perfect for Phillies. The Royals aren't in play for Hamels. They want a rental, their a small market, who doesn't want to add major salary. Plus, they aren't on Hamels' list. I doubt he add them to his his list of teams.

Teams are beginning to see the value of Hamels' reasonable contract. It's a win-win. Get a guy that can help you in the race this year and also have control at a reasonable number the next three years. No need to get into a 125-175 million battle with other teams in the offseason for one of these rentals or a guy like Grienke.

Baseball really is an annoying sport. Like teams don't know what Hamels is?! One game changes the perception about a guy who's been doing it for years? It's a joke one start would get teams to stop acting like assholes at the trade table. He's a known quantity under control for yrs. Its laughable teams act like these unproven prospects are gold bullion. Joke. It's the only sport you can get proven stars in their prime for a likely box of donuts.

Baseball really is an annoying sport. Like teams don't know what Hamels is?! One game changes the perception about a guy who's been doing it for years? It's a joke one start would get teams to stop acting like assholes at the trade table. He's a known quantity under control for yrs. Its laughable teams act like these unproven prospects are gold bullion. Joke. It's the only sport you can get proven stars in their prime for a likely box of donuts.

Totally agree.

I tweeted yesterday that just like a 5 IP, 5 ER outing shouldn't devalue his worth. A no-hitter shouldn't raise it thru the roof.

Prospects!!! Unknowns. 50/50 at best for top 50/100 players. Hamels is proven. Enough already.

I am not trading the guy unless I'm getting a sure fire stud. Urias. Seager. Someone like that. I don't want AA coin flips. F*ck that. Been there, done that.

I am not trading the guy unless I'm getting a sure fire stud. Urias. Seager. Someone like that. I don't want AA coin flips. F*ck that. Been there, done that.

You just stated prospects are a "box of donuts" and "unproven" then in your next post state you want a "sure fire stud". So which is it? Dom Brown was a sure fire stud once too. How'd that go?

My position is this. The reality is that the Phillies will get prospects back for Hamels. Whether these kids turn out to be good ML players for a long time isn't really known at this point. So, I get that it's a crapshoot at this point. I can live with that. The only thing I want to see is that the prospects received are some of the best that the trading team has to offer. If baseball evaluators are touting these kids as part of the best in an organization, then I can live with it. I just don't want kids coming back that are ranked lower.

As an example, the Dodgers have like five top 50 prospects by Baseball America. I don't need Seagers. Yea, would love him, but we can reasonable. Maybe the LHP is off limits, too. Ok, fine. Then at least two of the other three top 50 need to come back.

So we held out this long to get two top prospects in return? That's it and not even the top players in the organization. Sounds like burrs has successfully began moving goalposts pre-trade.

So we held out this long to get two top prospects in return? That's it and not even the top players in the organization. Sounds like burrs has successfully began moving goalposts pre-trade.

Who is "we?"

Intellectual honesty, go get some.

In the LAD example Seagers and Urias are rated #1 and #4 in all of baseball. No need to hold out for Seagers when you already have the #2 guy in JP Crawford playing SS. The Dodgers have other top 50 players.

I have been clear throughout. It depends on team and how strong their system is. If it's a deep system, one with 6-7 guys in top 100 then you have options (ie LAD or TX). If it's a team with a weaker system (ie NYY) then you need to get at least one of their top two guys included in the package.

Again, let's see what happens.

? Like you couldn't just convert a SS to 2b or 3b. Or OF for that matter. Having multiple hot SS prospects is a problem that everyone would like to have.

Absolutely you could do that. I think I read before that Seager might not be a SS at this level in the long run. Might move him to 3B. Maybe, he could be a CF.

All I'm saying is that the Dodgers have a rather deep system. I'm sure the Phillies start high in negotiations and ask for him. However, I don't think it's a must that they get him because their are other high quality options within their organization.

Also, I read today a couple of times that Texas is pursuing the hardest. Another team with a deep system.

Why do Texas and LA have deep farm systems? Because they are always among the best at recruiting outside the U.S. - something that the Phillies have flat out sucked at.

Agreed.

But that seems to be changing. Better later than never, I guess.

With that said, when is the last time either won a WS with being so great at finding talent outside U.S.? The answer: Never and 27 years ago.

You just stated prospects are a "box of donuts" and "unproven" then in your next post state you want a "sure fire stud". So which is it? Dom Brown was a sure fire stud once too. How'd that go?

Don't try to understand the gdog. It's widely known that he's out of his depth usually unless the topic is UFC and tennis gambling

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Agreed.

But that seems to be changing. Better later than never, I guess.

With that said, when is the last time either won a WS with being so great at finding talent outside U.S.? The answer: Never and 27 years ago.

At what point does a world series win in 2008 stop justifying all of the bad decisions the team has made over the past 7 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT