ADVERTISEMENT

Happy 90th Birthday Yogi

A true American hero.
He was indeed. Served in WWll with many other baseball greats. Saw a program not long ago which featured many of those who served. Yogi was a Navy gunner and participated in D Day Invasion. One humorous part of the Program was about 2 Red Sox greats. Ted Williams and Johnny Pesky. Both Pilots. Pesky related how he flew with Williams. He said Williams told him he was a real good 2nd baseman but a lousy pilot. Pesky laughed as he related that and said Williams was right, I wasn't all that good. Joe Coleman, Bob Feller, Monty Irvin, and many others were featured. Great ballplayers and even better men.

Son Tim ran a kick-off back for Umass vs. Villanova 9/15/73.....remember because it was a great senior year weekend.......VU @ Umass (day).....Temple @ BC (night) ...then back to the Bronx for oilers @ Football Giants in their 2nd to last game at Yankee Stadium.......heard Yogi up for Presidential Medal of Freedom

I was at that Giant game. As I recall it ended up in a tie. Most of that season was played in the Yale Bowl.

The eagle game ended in tie which was a week or 2 later. That was the final game. The oiler game was the middle of the 3 games there in 1973. Rest of the year at bowl and 1974. 1975 at Shea

That sounds right. I think the oilers came from way behind and almost stole the game. The second game was the tie then off the New Haven for the rest of the year.

A true American hero.

yogi_78_birthday-confetti_col.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT