ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks down Nova, 63-60

tpenter

Diaper Dandy
Nov 27, 2005
The Nova women lost a closely contested contest to St. Joes this afternoon, ending their unbeaten string at 7 and pretty much ceding their two year reign as Big Five champions over to the Hawks.

Both teams were streaky for the first 10 minutes of both halves, then played nip and tuck for the last 10 minutes of each half. Afer opening the scoring with a nifty lane cutter layup by Kendall Burton, St. Joes ripped off 13 unanwered points to cause Harry Paretta to call for a time out, down 13-2. Another St. Joes score and the sixth straight missed Nova shot then had us down 15-2 at the 15 minute mark before the ship got righted.

Three baskets by Taylor Holeman, a three ball by Lauren Burford and a driving layup by Devon Kane, followed by a Kane jump shot and a Emily Leer layup had us all the way back to 19 all at the 6 minute mark. The teams then traded baskets the rest of the way, with another Burford three leaving the scored tied at 28 at the half. Nova shot only 2 of 9 on threes in the half, with Burford getting both of them on 2 of 2 shooting.

The second half started out as a mirror image of the first, with Nova ripping off the first eight points and St. Joes calling for an emergency time out. Emily Leer came out attacking the post, getting two quick baskets and two foul shots. Kane capped that run off with another layup, putting the Nova lead at 36-28 a little more than two minutes into the half. St. Joes then came out and put together an 11-2 run to take a 39-38 lead at the 14:28 mark and from then on it was a dogfight to the finish.

The game came down to St. Joes having one two many fast guards for us to defense. When reserve Ciara Andrews entered the game to play along with starters Natasha Cloud and Erin Shields, we just couldn't stop one of them from attacking the basket for easy layups. Andrews and Cloud wound up scoring 18 of St. Joes last 22 points. Nova actually led by 50-45 after a three pointer by Caroline Coyer but a ten point run got St. Joes back up by 55-45 with only 4:40 to go. Kane and Coyer then ripped in three pointers and Coyer added a pair of foul shots and another basket wrapped around a pair of Cloud baskets and Nova had the lead once again at 60-59 with 2 minutes to play. Andrews got the lead right back with yet another blazing move to the basket and after a missed three by Leer, Cloud ended the scoring with a short jump shot. With one last chance to tie with a three, Coyer's shot with about seven seconds left was off the mark and rebounded underneath the basket by Kane, but instead of passing out to the three line, attempted a layup that missed, and was rebounded on the other side by Kaherine Coyer, who also attempted to put in a layup that missed. After all of that confusion the ball was on the floor and tied up for a jump ball with 8 tenths on the clock, with the posession arrow to Nova. Caroline Coyer got a contested look at the basket from the sideline, but her three attempt was off the mark to end the game at 63-60.

Balanced scoring for both sides. Leer, Holeman and Caroline Coyer all had 12 points. Holeman also had nine boards, doing a nice job boxing out on the defensive end. Overall shooting was 25-57 (46.4%) with only 6 of 19 on threes. Burford (2) and Kane (1) were perfect on their three point shots. Everyone else was a combined 3 of 16. St. Joes defense did not leave many chances for uncontested threes and we were looking to get the ball inside most of the game. Inexplicably after Leer got three early fouls on their big girl (Fairbanks), they switched off and had her guard Holeman instead and we never tried to attack her again to get her out of the game. Game photo gallery is on the Villanova.com website along with the game recap and boxscore.

NovaNation should be embarrassed at their lack of support for the women's team. St. Joes brought in two busloads of students, a bunch of other fans, their entire band, a small contingent of cheerleaders and Santa Claus. They were organized in their cheering and basically owned the Pavilion. Our undefeated team essentially had to play their biggest game of the year as a road game in their own building. The biggest cheer of the night for the locals came when the emcee tried to get everyone to stand to get the free T-shirt tosses from the cheerleaders. Pretty pathetic. The girls deserve better. Nonetheless, the game itself was won by St. Joes on the court. They have a fine team and should be the Big Five champion this year and may very well win the Atlantic Ten conference regular season title. Nothing to be done by Nova except to finish out the non-conference schedule and prepare for the new Big East conference games starting in late December.

Nova is off again until next Sunday when they play at LaSalle, followed by another road game the following Sunday at Temple.

Link added for Mel Greenberg's Game Summary.

This post was edited on 12/8 9:13 AM by tpenter

Link to Mel Greenberg's Game Summary

Nice job as usual tpenter on the game recap. Great game with multiple runs and NOVA came up a little short in the end. Imagine if in fact it had been a "home" game as you said with a supporting Nova Nation. Why do you think the girls team doesn't get any support especially in a home game against a Big Five rival and maybe their biggest rival in St Joes? The team has had success, they play a fun style of play to watch, etc.. is it because the men's team is so popular and having success? I don't know..but a school like Nova should do better...as you said pathetic. There needs to be a concerted effort to start marketing the team and generating a better following..if it means so much maybe give out some free t-shirts or have game contests or something...school support has to mean something to recruits I would think. They are extremely lucky to get the recruits they have this year and coming next year with the support they get...

Ah, I am already on the administration dirt list for a rogue attempt to boost attendence and enthusism last year, so I won't go into details, but ........ take a look at Coach Griffin's comments to Mel Greenberg with regard to the support they get from the St. Joe admin and fans. Anybody associated with the Nova women's program would either have to stifle a smirk or send the polygraph needle off the charts to say the same.

It is always stated that the student body just doesn't care about the women's sports. I can't believe that other schools appreciate and value their female athletes more than Nova students. It takes some direction and incentives to channel that support and I don't see that it has ever happened at Nova. Clearly the organized cheering and rabid support by the fans of the men's team doesn't just magically appear. Events are planned and promoted.

Outside of the campus, the women's program barely rates a blip in the local media. No advertising that I know of, corporate sponsors have disappeared (not surprising since no one goes to the games anymore), season tickets not promoted. Take a look at the attendence figures for when UConn came to visit over the last eight years (four visits). Those games at Nova were almost always the least attended UConn game that season. All of UConn's other opponents can successfully market one of the best teams in the nation coming into their building, but we can't? Single game tickets for the UConn game were advertised from December on in the 2003-2004 season and that home game for Nova was a complete sell-out (first and only time). Two years later, no advertising and a crowd of only about 2,500. I think they just expected it to happen again and saved their money on advertising.

Anything going to change? I doubt it, although we may see something along the lines of what Temple just did - cut some of the smaller sports (men and women) to cut overall athletics costs to maintain the main sports. Will anything like that lead to a change in the support for the women? Also not likely. WIth the new conference alignments everyone's travel costs have increased exponentially. Try to imagine what it is going to cost to fly the Nova team out to Omaha over the weekend prior to New Year's Eve, with all of the equipment that they have to take along in addition to regular luggage. With minimal paid attendence, the program has to be a big revenue loser for the University.

Not sure that there is anything we can do to change anything from our end. Continue to support the girls on the court and hope for divine intervention.

TP

Perhaps the biggest rivalry, but not the biggest game by a long shot.

Still, yesterday was embarrassing to the University. I have never seen a visiting team take over a venue like that, and St. Joe's took over the Pavillion, no question.

St. Joe's made the plays and our girls didn't. Their team is quite good, and our team didn't answer like they should have. I'm not here to say it had an impact on the outcome because I don't believe that for a second. But the overall atmosphere was all St. Joe's.

This post was edited on 12/8 5:06 PM by ccoyer

The annual Big Five battle with St. Joes is a game that the local kids look forward to and remember for a long time. They have competed with and against some of the opposing players in high school, pick-up games, AAU, summer ball and now in the NCAA. Lots of bragging rights at stake.

With St. Joes only having home games against Lasalle and Penn left to win the Big Five title outright, this was essentially the Big Five title game and it didn't disappoint as to the normal cat fight that this annual game normally results in. St. Joes was by far the best team we have faced so far and we came up short. In that regard, this was our biggest game of the year.

Are there big games ahead? To a degree, every game this season is key for Nova. The new Big East is not faring well in non-conference play against ranked teams and can't be considered anything more than a mid-major conference at this point. It is very possible that no Big East team will be ranked in top 25 by the end of the year, and St. Joes might actually get some votes and be ranked if they cruise through their A-10 schedule. The RPI for the Nova team will continue to slip as we proceed through the season, based upon our strength of schedule. With no opportunity for wins over any ranked teams, if we do not win the Big East tournament, it is very possible that a minimum of 23 or 24 wins might be needed to get consideration for an at-large NCAA bid. The narrow comeback overtime wins against Sacred Heart and Lehigh demonstrate that we are capable of losing on any given night, so 24 wins is not a given. Any "Bad" losses during the season are extremely detrimental to the NCAA selection process and we need only refer to the Nova teams of 2005 and 2006 to recall the disappointment of being left out on selection Sunday (now Monday).

Obviously we will have "big games" as we get to seeding for the B/E tournnament, the B/E tournament games themselves and then the post-season (NCAA or WNIT), but that is a long way off.

And in the classic case of adding injury to insult St Joes is ESPNW's team of the week

http://espn.go.com/ncw/notebook/_/page/notebook_131208/weekend-wrap-recapping-strange-week-kentucky-wildcats-louisville-cardinals

but kudos to St Joes..they deserve it as do their fans...

The Hawks also got KYW radio airtime this morning with Coach Griffin being interviewed about how pleased she is with their 8-1 start and previewing their game tonight with Hofstra. They also got one vote in the AP poll this week (Big East teams got no votes). Could have been Nova on the air and receiving votes instead. Bah. Humbug!

Why do you think the girls team doesn't get any support especially in a home game against a Big Five rival and maybe their biggest rival in St Joes? The team has had success, they play a fun style of play to watch, etc.. is it because the men's team is so popular and having success? I don't know..but a school like Nova should do better...as you said pathetic. There needs to be a concerted effort to start marketing the team and generating a better following..if it means so much maybe give out some free t-shirts or have game contests or something...school support has to mean something to recruits I would think.

Maybe most people could care less about Title IX generated sports.

Excuse me, Geronimo, but womens basketball was around long before Title IX........

you are correct - i just don't care for it at all - my opinion - to each his own. Doesn't really matter who likes or who doesn't. You like it - fine. I don't - fine.

Geronimo1907,

And that is what makes the world go around:
differnces of opinion.

Geronimooooo.. is something we used to say when jumping off of something..but he isn't jumping off cause it looks like he never was on board and maybe never gave them a chance..interesting for someone who doesn't care to peruse the womens bball message board..

if you are a true basketball fan and not a front running fan who likes to treat basketball games like social events in the student section when the team is winning you might open your eyes and see for yourself that the girls play a great brand of basketball..if not that's ok too

asinine, simply asinine comment. You have NO idea regarding my fan "tendencies" or fervor regarding VU hoops - none whatsoever. Simply asinine and stupid.

Your right I don't..but your comment on Title IX related to womens basketball and motive for doing so was very suspect..

I appreciate the womens team and love Harry and Coach Joe and their efforts with the program and school. The girls are great students and are wonderful representatives of the University. I also appreciate that they work hard and take long bus rides to games up to 6 hrs long and rarely fly to games or at least did in the old Big East. I also appreciate how hard Harry works and how great of a basketball mind he is and how innovative his motion offenses are. But I do understand the lack of fan support. Womens basketball is tough to watch. The play is uneventful and not exciting. Even watching Uconn is not fun. Women tend to be more robotic because they dont have the athleticism to make one on one plays. Its a great team game and the girls are very skilled shooters but the female body just doesnt have the strength or speed in it to make the game fun to or enjoyable to watch. Even for a basketball purist like me who prefers Penn Princeton to UNC Duke.

The last 10 minutes of the Temple game was all about 1 on 1. It can happen in the womens game, but you first have to appreciate the purity of the game of basketball.

The women play the game the way it was first meant to be played.

CCoyer - i know its tough for you to be bias because your children are on the team and play the sport. I do appreciate the women's game and the purity. And I love that they are true student athletes that will all go on to graduate and be sucessful in the field they choose.

I love that its a team game and that each unit has to work together on both ends to be successful. I just dont find it enjoyable to watch.

The bigger problem in womens bball is when ESPN televises a national game with #1 Uconn at #2 whoever and Uconn wins by 30. its not good for the game.

Well Sports Fan the lack of support certainly isn't NCAA wide..the point is at Villanova it is. So it can be a personal opinion thing but womens basketball receives considerable support at other schools including schools like Delaware..(in the thousands before and after Delle Donne), and JMU..and of course at higher levels like MD..nothing to have 10k fans, UConn, ND, Stanford, Kentucky, Baylor, Texas, OK, etc..

In terms of some of the comments like the women don't have athleticism.. are robotic..female body doesn't have the strength or speed..that stuff is garbage....Yea maybe they all (mostly) don't dunk or whatever..make ESPN highlight reels..etc..but that stuff is hijacking basketball (together with the physicality which is being reeled in to try to keep it more pure)..that is why there has been a loss of the mid range jump shot..etc - The most athletic and strongest players are in the NBA..which many fans don't like!!! Do you? They like the college game for the "purity", rivalries, etc..

Go watch these women do a physical training session and or practice and tell me they are not strong enough..if you are in an ability to jump in try it!!! even male athletes in shape have more knowledge and respect to say something that dumb...go watch when they scrimmage most practices against boys who play club ball at VU who can dunk, are fast, etc..

You a basketball purist?..maybe in your own mind..which is fine.but your comments suggest otherwise.

I guarantee you that if Nova was a top 5 team (which they easily could be with the school, coach, etc) fans would come out of the wood work.just as if the men were 3-8 instead of 11-0 they would be jumping off ship.. .UCONN was nothing until Gino came, Tennessee girls fans travel probably better than NOVA mens..could go on and on..

If it's not interesting to you ..don't come..that's cool..but the rest of the garbage is just plain sexist and not something a basketball purist would say..
This post was edited on 12/24 12:17 PM by simpaul

simpaul - I practiced with the womens team from 2006-2010. I always appreciated everything they did and also said they were skilled players and shooters. During that 5 year tenure Laura Kurz was the only player that was impressive. Sweeney was good but she was young then. Others were solid and good shooters but not much else.

and everything I said was positive to the program ,coaches and girls and how much I appreciate what they do. Please reread my previous posts.

Not worth going back and forth..but your last two posts were certainly positive so we can move on..I just stand up against things I take as "shots" against the girls game especially if they appear "sexist" or are just plain not accurate..but it's a semi free country..lol

i was always friendly with the girls and loved the coaching staff. nothing i ever say is sexist or out of line. I also only speak of things in which i have experiences. was just posting my thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT