ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Werth

The real lesson is Virginia is nuts on moving violations. 5 days in jail for driving too fast on the Beltway? That's ridiculous.

Originally posted by adp98:
The real lesson is Virginia is nuts on moving violations. 5 days in jail for driving too fast on the Beltway? That's ridiculous.
More like driving like a reckless douchebag who endangered the lives of other people on the road.

105 mph is outrageous. Maybe 5 days in the can will make him think twice before doing something like that again.

On a Saturday morning around the beltway there's 4 lanes wide and no one on them. It was irresponsible but throwing a guy in jail for this is excessive. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Virginia does have a ridiculous reckless driving law wherein 20 mph over the limit constitutes reckless driving. In other words, going 76 in a 55 could net you a reckless driving charge. That said, 105 in a 55 IS ridiculous, glad he was called out for that.

On a Saturday morning around the beltway there's 4 lanes wide and no one on them. It was irresponsible but throwing a guy in jail for this is excessive. Hopefully he learned his lesson.
Irresponsible? That's an understatement to say the least.

I agree that at least it wasn't in rush hour traffic (not that it would be possible to go 105 mph in gridlock), but come on now.
He very easily could have killed someone.

Do you really think that a fine, even if it is $5k or something, would serve as an effective deterrent for someone making $20 million a year? Community service?

As of matter of law Jayson Werth's salary is not relevant to this issue. The penalty is the same regardless of income. Everyone on this board has driven over 100 miles per hour in their life. It's not the most responsible thing in the world but certainly not a source of jail time. Note, driving 105 on the Beltway at this hour is no big deal and I'm certainly guilty of hitting aggressive speeds when it's empty. The danger is to yourself not others. Driving his car there wasn't much danger either. He was probably in third gear.

I absolutely have not driven over 100mph's on the highway and actually believe that it is extremely dangerous. I think the penalties pretty excessive if it's a first offence but if he's a repeat offender clearly the previous punishments aren't helping.

We're talking about an area where everyone else is driving 80. 4 lanes with 2 additional express lanes. This isn't going 80 on two-lane 76.

As of matter of law Jayson Werth's salary is not relevant to this issue. The penalty is the same regardless of income. Everyone on this board has driven over 100 miles per hour in their life. It's not the most responsible thing in the world but certainly not a source of jail time. Note, driving 105 on the Beltway at this hour is no big deal and I'm certainly guilty of hitting aggressive speeds when it's empty. The danger is to yourself not others. Driving his car there wasn't much danger either. He was probably in third gear.
I don't even know where to begin.

If your argument is that a five day jail sentence is a harsh penalty, then we are in agreement.

Of course the penalty is not determined by the offender's income. My point was that a $100 fine would be like a 1 cent fine to the average person.

I still can't believe that any intelligent person would argue that driving 105 mph at any hour on any road does not endanger other people. Maybe LizReed can calculate the stopping distance required for a car traveling at 105 mph. I'm guessing that it's a lot.

Driving a car period endangers people. Driving one 105 MPH is irresponsible. Jail? You have never driven 105 MPH in been ina car going that fast? This time of Saturday the Beltway resembles the autobahn.

Driving a car period endangers people. Driving one 105 MPH is irresponsible. Jail? You have never driven 105 MPH in been ina car going that fast? This time of Saturday the Beltway resembles the autobahn.
No, I haven't. I don't think I've ever driven over 90, and only for brief periods. And I am not a slow driver.

And it's more than irresponsible. It's stupid and reckless regardless of when and where.

Do you think it warrants jail time?

I'm with adp on this one, penalty is excessive, provided he wasn't swerving in and out of traffic in real tight spaces at that speed. From accounts I've heard, he wasn't, more of the empty road situation adp describes. Good lesson to us all when driving in Virginia.

And frankly, the fact that the Beltway has curves to it can actually make going faster feel a bit safer, and be a bit safer since interstate highways are banked, especially when curve is going counterclockwise. I often find on 495 in Delaware that the curve in the road encourages faster driving, and have been doing 90-plus and had people blow by me like I'm standing still (great speed road).

It's possible with most decent cars these days to be cruising at more than 90 without even fully realizing it. I'm definitely not going to throw stones at Werth on this one, again, assuming the way he was doing it wasn't truly reckless.

I'd say most male drivers in their 20s have hit triple digits at least once, just to say they did it if nothing else. But then again, some people don't get driver's licenses when they're young, so what do I know.

The stretch on 495 in Delaware (around Wilmington) begs for speed. Each time I drive up to Nova games I always hit 100 on that stretch and sit at 90. You don't even feel it in my wife's SUV. Everyone in the left lane is going over 85. I'm not saying it's responsible but the penalty is ridiculous.

Agree adp. Love that stretch of road. It's expensive (DE has the highest toll per mile in the Northeast Corridor there), but worth it. Also, don't want to jinx anything but I've never seen a cop patrolling it, never seen a speed trap on it, never seen anyone pulled over on it.

Was this his first offense?

The best part of this is that when it happens to someone famous then maybe regular people will take notice and few will continue to do such things.

Do you think it warrants jail time?
Five days is probably excessive.

I think something more than a fine is appropriate, since a $100 fine means jack shit to the average person, let alone a multimillionaire.

Originally posted by RSTRICK30:

Originally posted by Novacatt94:

I don't think I've ever driven over 90, and only for brief periods.
Hmmmmm....
What does this mean?

OK, now I remember. My roommate at 'Nova had a Mustang 5.0. We had that thing up to 100 on the NY Thruway.

That happened a handful of times, and I was about 20 years old. Not something that I'd do in my early 40s with kids.

This post was edited on 2/5 2:40 PM by Novacatt94

About 15 years ago I was clocked by a trooper at 81mph in a 65 zone. When he pulled me over he cited reckless driving. I was stunned that not just a speeding ticket. I pleaded not guilty to reckless driving but acknowledged being 16 over the limit via mail--I live 9 hrs away in upstate NY--and got a fine of $165. Since nothing was ever posted to my NY license I assume the judge bought my story and reduced to a speeding fine.

81 in a 65 isn't reckless. That's absurd.

It should be something like 30 mph over the limit.

IMO going 35 or more in a 25 (assuming a neighborhood subdivision) is much more dangerous than 95 or more in a 65. Not even close. There are pedestrians, kids there. In my neighborhood I rarely drive over 30, and need to drive almost a mile to get to the best exit point for my commute. These are the people who, when caught, should get reckless driving.

It's a highway. Germany has no speed limits on the highways and it works fine. If anything the biggest problem on the highways is a combination of distracted drivers and people driving too slowly (often the same people). Normally the idiot causing the problem going too slow in the left lane is on the phone (or old). Would like to see the effort on the highways be focused on inattentive drivers.

Another topic for another time, but it's only going to get worse as the baby boomers get older. Will be horrific.

Originally posted by lowry99:

IMO going 35 or more in a 25 (assuming a neighborhood subdivision) is much more dangerous than 95 or more in a 65. Not even close. There are pedestrians, kids there. In my neighborhood I rarely drive over 30, and need to drive almost a mile to get to the best exit point for my commute. These are the people who, when caught, should get reckless driving.

It's a highway. Germany has no speed limits on the highways and it works fine. If anything the biggest problem on the highways is a combination of distracted drivers and people driving too slowly (often the same people). Normally the idiot causing the problem going too slow in the left lane is on the phone (or old). Would like to see the effort on the highways be focused on inattentive drivers.

Another topic for another time, but it's only going to get worse as the baby boomers get older. Will be horrific.
Can't say I disagree with this. Slow drivers are definitely dangerous. I encounter them all the time in the CoP metro area.

Example... they just widened the Northeast Extension to three lanes in each direction for a whopping 6 miles from Norristown to Lansdale (it took about three years and about $200 million which is a whole other story). That stretch of road used to be horrific at rush hour because it was only two lanes in each direction with narrow shoulders.

Now the road is brand new and wide open.... and there are still idiots going 60-65 in the far left lane. Move the hell over. It's frightening how many people don't check their rear view mirrors and are completely oblivious of who is around them.

I think most people drive fast for the adrenaline rush or because they're just frustrated, overly aggressive or impatient. It can't be for the savings in time. If you're driving 10 miles at 60 MPH, it'll take 10 minutes. If you're driving at 80 mph, it takes 7 1/2 minutes. You saved 2 1/2 minutes and potentially endangered yourself and all those around you and risked getting ticketed.

If you want the speed rush, take your car to the track. If you're frustrated, overly aggressive or impatient, get help.

Originally posted by AvalonFal:

I think most people drive fast for the adrenaline rush or because they're just frustrated, overly aggressive or impatient. It can't be for the savings in time. If you're driving 10 miles at 60 MPH, it'll take 10 minutes. If you're driving at 80 mph, it takes 7 1/2 minutes. You saved 2 1/2 minutes and potentially endangered yourself and all those around you and risked getting ticketed.

If you want the speed rush, take your car to the track. If you're frustrated, overly aggressive or impatient, get help.
Disagree. Driving from DC to Philly for instance, the time savings add up. And it's a calculated risk on getting ticketed -- especially during the day the risk is very manageable if you know the road. And completely disagree that driving 80 (or even more) on a major interstate is not safe, if you're doing it right.

The texting BS is a far bigger problem than garden variety speeding (I think up to about 85 in a 65 is fine if you are paying attention).

Also it does add up quite a bit on longer trips. You have to watch where you are and consider the state. Driving down to FL you have to stay pretty close to the speed limit from NC through GA, although other than just south of DC the road conditions are generally gr8 and you can cruise control at a good pace without a problem. However you do NOT want to go more than 9 mph over in those areas and to be safe you need to keep it at 4. Thankfully speed limit is 70 in a lot of spots.

Driving from Philly to VA I try to stay within 15 of the posted limit. The only time I run into issues is with the photo traps - you need to get down to about 4-7 over the posted limit in those zones.

Originally posted by LGBlue:
The texting BS is a far bigger problem than garden variety speeding (I think up to about 85 in a 65 is fine if you are paying attention).

Also it does add up quite a bit on longer trips. You have to watch where you are and consider the state. Driving down to FL you have to stay pretty close to the speed limit from NC through GA, although other than just south of DC the road conditions are generally gr8 and you can cruise control at a good pace without a problem. However you do NOT want to go more than 9 mph over in those areas and to be safe you need to keep it at 4. Thankfully speed limit is 70 in a lot of spots.

Driving from Philly to VA I try to stay within 15 of the posted limit. The only time I run into issues is with the photo traps - you need to get down to about 4-7 over the posted limit in those zones.
Agree with the above. I'm headed to Florida from upstate NY on Wednesday. Good mental reminder above. My experience is to be especially cautious in Delaware and Georgia. Thankfully not in Delaware very long.

In my experience of driving that stretch of road way too many times: Northern Maryland is the trouble spot. Take 495 in Delaware and you'll never see a cop. They also have the new express lanes so as long as you have EZ Pass it's fine. Other stretch to be careful is about 40 miles south of DC to about 20 miles north of Richmond.

In Delaware, northbound also watch the area of 95 before you get to 495, e.g., near Christiana mall. Have seen numerous pulls near the rest stop or soon after the toll, twice in organized fashion. One time saw several troopers hanging by the rest stop exit, then they each pulled someone over. Similarly saw multiple cars lined up near the border in an apparent traffic stop.

Not so bad southbound in that area, I think they don't want to interfere with the 295/495/95 merge which can be dangerous and always congested.

We're talking about an area where everyone else is driving 80. 4 lanes with 2 additional express lanes. This isn't going 80 on two-lane 76.
My thought exactly. 105 seems excessive at first glance, but then I think back to driving in those east coast major highways at odd hours when they are empty and going 85-90 is sort of the norm for many. 105 isn't too far off from that.

That at said, Hawaii has crazy traffic laws. Excessive speeding is a misdemeanor with license loss consequences and all it takes is going 81 mph to land one. Fortunately Hawaii has made it almost impossible to introduce a laser reading at trial, so not too many people take excessive speeding hits.

In march 2009 I was cruising from ny to Boston to watch some basketball games. On the mass pike just passed Worcester I got nabbed for speeding. It was like 3 am, nobody out there, really didn't think I was going all that fast. Reading was 89 mph (I had a v8 BMW 7-series at the time, and highway driving was deceptive). But that wasn't even intentional aggressive driving, sometimes when you have the road to yourself it can be tricky. I showed up to court to fight the ticket (after skidog's father gave me some advice) and they dismissed the ticket pretty quickly. Didn't pay anything at all. My speedometer wasn't working and I was relying on my GPS mph, which was about 10 mph off. So it said that I was going 80 but it was closer to 90. But the point is that I wasn't out of control or really anymore reckless than if I was just going 80 mph (which I am sure many people do).

And that is the only speeding ticket I have received in over fifteen years, so it's not like I'm actually an aggressive driver who is just in denial.

Originally posted by ChuckSullivan97:

Everyone on this board has driven over 100 miles per hour in their life.
Wrong.
I am poor, never got laid or had friends in high school-college with nice cars. Carry on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT