ADVERTISEMENT

LadyCats defeat Friars 59-53

whitecat

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
Although we made it closer than it should have been by missing some front ends of 1 and 1s. This was the first game watching the LadyCats this year, and some things really amazed me. We were running our usual scheme getting treys and had things under control until the end of end of the half. We then went out of our usual composure and started running early isos in the shot clock in addition to jacking some very quick treys. I couldn't believe it and we fell behind at half. We ran some great schemes in the second half and missed some chippies, but it was a win.

Write this name down Taylor Holeman who is a true frosh from LA. She is as athletic as anyone we have had recently. She has good post moves, a good handle, and can get to the glass. Supposedly we have a red-shirt frosh who is also very athletic. I hope we continue to bring in athletes. Harry probably won't mind my comments about our play at the end of the first half. I have been following the LadyCats since before Shelly P.

Hey WhtieCat. Agree on all counts. Also could not understand why the last three first half possessions we sent a guard to the hoop against a 6-3 player. Not much they were going to do other than throw up a funky shot which in all three cases did not go down. Providence finished the half on a 13-0 run to erase a Nova 30-22 lead. Glad you could catch the game today and always appreciate your participation in this forum - we need more input. You did not see Leer play much today, she also has much upside potential. Can't figure out how Harry decides on whether Leer or Taylor is going to see more minutes as he seems to flip flop every game. Both need more playing time to mature. We could have the best Nova front court in a long, long time next year to go along with almost all of the current guards returning.

An incredibly hard fought game today and Nova managed to come from behnd in the second half to win. Sweeney missed two of those one and one opportunities you mentioned and would up two points short of hitting 1000 for her career and will have to do that on the road at DePaul. The inside game was key for both teams and Sweeney and Taylor managed to keep the Big East rebound leader from taking control of the boards and eventually fouled her out.

Lauren Burford led the way with 17 points on 5 of 7 three point shooting. When combined with her 5 of 6 the game before she should get some consideration for Big Five player of the week and possible honorable mention for the Big East. She is now shooting 50% on her threes in Nova home games and has 48 on the year. Saw Trish Juline (all time three leader) and Katie Davis bang down some threes in the alumni game. They still have it nine years after graduation!

All even at 5-5 in the Big East and assuming that DePaul falls at Notre Dame tomorrow, we should be tied with them in eighth place going into Tuesday night's very much winnable game (if they can score points on the road). A whole bunch of teams lurking right behind us at 4-6, and we need to put up some more wins (at least 3 of the next six) to hope for an NCAA invitition. Another win or two and we should be a lock for a WNIT bid if the NCAA bid is off the table.

The DePaul game will be Harry's 1000th career game. Talked to some of the alumni players that were in town for the game and we were all pretty much amazed that someone could come back 30+ years later and their coach was still there coaching. His first couple of year's coaching he was only a year or two older than his players!

Replay of today's game is on local Comcast CBSsportsnet (formerly Versus) tonight at 9.

Considering several players were sick and hooked to IVs yesterday, this is a great road win.

The Friars played ferocious pressing D throughout the game. We had beaten them by over 20 up in RI earlier in the year but they were ferocious on defense today. We won a very hard fought game in front of a very nice sized crowd.

A number of our former players didn't play in the alumni game including DesterMager, Rountree, McManus and Nowland.

One player signed up as a Navy Nurse just before graduating. Has 25 years in with 2 more to go in her current hitch. Her senior H.S. Son is anxiously looking forward to being accepted
at Nova. Soph daughter is interested in us, Stanford, Tennessee, and SanDiego among others.

RFr 6-1, Lauren Buford from Fairfax is one very versatile player in addition to her awesome offensive abilities playing 34 minutes or so. She brings the ball up, gets boards and plays tough D. Frosh Holeman Is a player too as is 6-2 RFr Emily Leer. Sweeney is really tough but had some difficulty today yet fought for some key rebounds anyway. Our team plays really hard and we only lose one significant player, Lindsay Kimmel.

Kimmel is the only Big 5 player who played on 2 different school's Big 5 championship teams, Temple as a frosh and Villanova.

A good point that I failed to note. Although not as overbearing as UConn's press, Providence did come at us almost the whole game and we handled it well. Most of our 11 turnovers today were unforced errors in the frontcourt. I had no doubt before the game that they were going to give us a tough game today, in spite of the blowout victory we posted up there. It was indeed a tough and well-earned win today.

You can be sure that Rutgers will throw up the full-court press on us this year but I think we are much better prepared to handle them. Stringer kind of took it easy on us the past two years, only pressing on occasions.

Of our final 6 opponents as of today they're ranked as follows.

GTown and StJohns ranked #3 at 7-3, RU #4 at 6-4, DePaul #8 at 5-4 before playing ND today on ESPNU at 1:00, USF and CUSE #10 at 4-6.

We're # 9 at 5-5 but should end up tied for # 8 later today following that ND-DePaul game.

Men are on ESPN at 2:00 today vs Pitt.

Go Cats.

Whitecat, What days do you go to the Penn Relays? Sheila Reid's eligible for the outdoor season.

We played this game at home. Not a road win.
This post was edited on 2/5 1:18 PM by UncleBill57

UB57,

I usually go down on Friday and Saturday, but I migh drive down on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT