ADVERTISEMENT

Lax vs Football

NovaUSMC01

Bleeds Villanova Blue
Aug 25, 2001
Jacksonville NC
Serious question, not looking to start an uproar. The Big East is at a critical point in its "new" existence. We want the league to be as powerful as possible across all sports. Would it make sense to shift SOME funding from football to lacrosse to bolster those programs which will in turn strengthen the league. I think it is worth looking into. I love football, I am season ticket holder and monetary booster of the program. Football is not a Big East program therefore it is a logical target for reduced scholarships to benefit our other programs that are Big East sanctioned. Curious to see other thoughts and perspectives on the matter.

I would endorse beefing up the Lax program.
More resources into Track as well - miss the glory days of the Jumbo Elliot era.

Why does football have to give up $$$ for lacrosse?

Why is every solution to getting funds for other sports to always take from football?

Why can't the sports that need an upgrade look elsewhere for funding? Why always football?

I like where Villanova is in football given that FBS isn't a reality, but I do like the Patriot teams on the schedule. I wouldn't be in a total uproar if Nova played football in the PL (7 games) and played an FBS foe & Delaware, W&M, & Richmond out of conference.

A schedule something like this is pretty good:

FBS (BC, Temple, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt)
Delaware
Richmond
William & Mary
Lehigh
Lafayette
Bucknell
Georgetown
Colgate
Holy Cross
Fordham

That schedule is more appealing that Rhody, Towson, Elon, Stony Brook, etc.

That said leave football alone. Go find funding somewhere else!!

GT-

The only reason I would offer up football is because it is in the CAA. Not the Big East. Football is VERY expensive. Again, I am not against football in the least. I just look at the landscape of college athletics and where the Big East is and I have to wonder how we can best strengthen our league. We half fund lacrosse. I would think it would be prudent to fully fund lacrosse which is a Big East team. As the Big East fades so too does our entire athletic department and national profile. As much as I like having a football team, it simply will not put us on the map like our other sports will.

This is for discussion only, just wanted to get other people's take. The sun will rise tomorrow and I will still support Villanova Football the same.

How about pumping some more money into the football program so they could compete in the big 10...

Instead of some of you trashing football and taking their funding why don't you look to raise the proper funds to support your wants & needs of the so-called sports you want elevated?. I get it now. It's just easier to take it instead of developing a plan to raise the funds. That just makes you guys look like haters. No plan or strategy just destroy football because the majority of you don't like the game.

Are you calling for schools below the FBS to drop football all together because it's probably expensive playing in the Patriot also? The Patriot sans Georgetown offer schollies now. How much of a savings to go there? If they went there how long before you call to move to the Pioneer or D3?

I would support a move to the Patriot for football because the school's there align academically with Villanova, but I'm not sure how much savings you get.

I'm sure you guys are all related to the early 80s crowd that got your wish done. It's obvious no words will change your minds. Have at it. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just think stealing from another program w/o any discussion of raising funds shows the true colors of most of you.
It's not about the money it's about your hatred for the game.

This post was edited on 4/4 7:15 AM by Gangtackle11

Gangetackle well thought out post.
Does the OP realize VU fields other teams that are not in the BE? Women's LAX, Field Hockey, Water Polo. Why not take away from these non BE sports? Oh, no can do they are protected by Title 9

Well.....all this being said I don't think there is much of an appetite beyond a handful of posters here to kill football. It has & always will have their detractors, but at the end of the day the chances are slim that this talk is nothing more than a few minutes of posting comments that I will never get back. GO VILLANOVA ATHLETICS! (Especially football for this poster)

This post was edited on 4/4 7:05 PM by Gangtackle11

Ironically, the next giant step of basketball success lies with the school 's willingness to upgrade the football program to an FBS level team. The hoops team will continue to have great regular season success in the new league where they are the dragon to be slayed amongst the rest, but the next quantum leap in basketball comes with acceptance into a major hoops conference...ACC anyone?

Jay & the boys are tapped out. They get major talent for sure, but the real big time talent goes to the ACC & Big Ten mostly. Villanova got left out in the cold with their angst to join the big boys in the FBS. That' s football if you didn't know it. Now they charter flights to Omaha. So if they are tapped out in a nice place as a top 20 & sometimes top 10 program why do they need more $$$ again??? More $$$ isn't going to get the best player in the country to come to Villanova. The competition of playing in the best basketball conferences & playing on ESPN is the only way Nova breaks into the Final Four/Elite 8 on a regular basis like Duke, Kentucky, or Michigan State. We are the Gonzaga of the east, but we have Big East heritage that makes us all think it's more prestigious than it is.

Now if the school committed to playing ACC level football you will get what you want. A boost to an already solid program. The hoops program lost out more than football when West Virginia, Syracuse, BC, UConn, & Miami saw the P5 structure coming. The football detractors lost the day the Big East folded in a big way . They complain about football when all along its the key to what you want for hoops. Ironic, but supporting football in a big way is how you get hoops to the next level.

Since what I just wrote doesn't appear to be on the radar and the $$$ spent on football doesn't really get hoops to the next level in the new BE it's time for all you so called Villanova supporters to get season tickets to the 2015 season. You just might see a champion crowned. In the end Creighton and Butler aren't much better than playing Stony Brook or Sam Houston State.......

This post was edited on 4/4 9:47 PM by Gangtackle11

USMC my mistake about Nova women's lax and field hockey

Now if the school committed to playing ACC level football

Uhh, where would the games be played??

I didn't say it was a reality, but if the argument is the hoops program needs more $$$ and it should come from football my question is why? Because w/o a move into a conference like the ACC nothing will move the dial for already successful hoops program. Gonzaga of the East is a great spot and in the new Big East lite I'm not sure it requires more $$$ to continue it's dominance.

I guess if there was a interest in upgrading hoops to perennially play at the next level of Duke, Michigan State, & Kentucky then the football team could play in the Linc? Florida State-Villanova would surely draw more than Temple-SMU.

My point isn't that this is reality. My point is the argument to drop football for upgrading basketball isn't a strong argument. The $$$ spent on football won't move the dial for Villanova in hoops. They are a tremendous top 10/20 program. The next level requires being in the ACC or Big Ten like conference. Which means FBS football. Not a reality thus hoops doesn't need a big infusion of capital & football can be saved the criticism.

That was the point.

You may think the new BE is a top conference then so be it, but with an exception here & there The top 20 kids (franchise kids) want to play in the ACC & Big Ten upper echelon schools of those conferences. I hope you aren't comparing Jay's teams to what has happened to Penn State & Rutgers. They have been hoops cellar dwellers for years & years. The conference switch hasn't changed their bottom finishes.

I'm saying for Villanova to launch to the next echelon of consistent Elite 8 teams they will need more than the new Big East teams to get them there.
Kids want to play Duke & NC or Michigan State & Wisconsin on ESPN rather than Xavier or Creighton on FoxSports. Reality is Villanova a great college program already. No amounts of $$$$ to the program will get them consistently to the Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky level because no matter how much you want to slice it the new BE has an image problem outside of Omaha, Milwaukee, & Radnor Township. So most real difference maker players want ACC/Big Ten and ESPN.

Villanova & UConn got the shaft when the real Big East broke apart. Jay & the boys have made the best of it for sure, but I don't think it's going to improve from here in the new Big East. The rivalries of Syracuse, UConn,Pitt are long gone replaced by Creighton, Butler, Xavier, &

Certainly entitled to your opinion. I think it's one that I hope isn't supported because I think with a little PR from the school it can be a great showcase even at the FCS level. Take some work for sure, but they win a lot and that's a great start. Everything about college doesn't come down to economics either. There wouldn't be very many sports if it was about turning a profit only.

So much talk of spending more on Basketball, I'm just curious what does BB need that they don't have, where would this extra money be spent?

It has been stated that the Big. East is the equivalent to the Atlantic Ten &
Mountain West. Truly, Villanovan no longer competes with the major players in
Division 1 basketball.
Of course the apologists will claim Villanova is a basketball school,however
Reality shows that those days are over.

Would love to be more competitive in ice hockey as well. Sport generates alot of excitement on campus's across the country. I actually think from viewing perspective it is more exciting to watch than football.

Only problem is that we have no place to play ice hockey. Let's be honest, hockey has about 20 competitive programs across the country. Granted, they are mostly in our traditional catchment areas, but a lot of people advance the "exposure" argument for increasing spend on some of these non-revenue sports - can't see how hockey helps in that respect.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by LetsGoNova:
I would say more than lax or soccer would, though still not much in absolute terms.
LGN-

I think that is very tough to say. Football for us is a very regional product and really does not make any waves until late in the playoffs. At least with soccer and LAX we are playing higher end schools. Just saying.

Let's not forget for all BE sports you guys want to beef up you have to consider the travel to Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, etc. I got to believe that becomes cost prohibitive if you are talking about being a pure BE program. I think it makes sense to be FCS in football as much as it may for soccer or lacrosse to play in the CAA or Big South for example.

USMC, I suppose you mean out of conference? It's going to be tough to convince me that we're going to play such awesome teams OOC in soccer or lax -- and who we aren't playing now -- that it's going to move the needle at all. For all of football's problem, it still draws more people on average than lax or soccer do all season.

Big East Lacrosse

6 teams total

Villanova
Georgetown
Marquette
Providence
St. John's
Denver

Denver? Better trip than Omaha for sure.

LGN-

Yes, I mean out of conference. I am not going to say that lacrosse captures the nations attention in the spring. Or soccer is drawing millions of viewers in the fall. But, these sports are played at the highest level of competition and do not get completely eclipsed by another version of the sport like football (FCS in the shadow of BCS). As for lacrosse our OOC this year is insanely good. JHU, Penn State, UMD, plus Denver in conference. So, I would say we ARE playing name brand teams now in lax which is great to see. Now, if we could just fund the sport properly and not go 1 and 3 through such a stretch. As for soccer, I really do not know much about that sport and how it operates in the NCAA so I cannot comment there.

One more thing, the only out of conference game I am sure to catch no matter the opponent is our annual BCS game. I thoroughly enjoy watching it (mostly on TV unfortunately). Outside of that, it is hard for me to follow the team because I live in DC.

Originally posted by centraljerseycat:
...And Ball is back......
Can't keep a good Ball down..............
smokin.r191677.gif

Every post that begins: VIllanova minor sport and we have more than 20 to choose from plus several that don't even exist (ice hockey) v. football always has the same 30 replies in the same order:
1. Malcontent
2. Ball alt
3. Ball alt alt
4. DCF
5. Ball alt
6. Ball alt alt
rinse, repeat 5 X.
Yawn.

Reactions: centraljerseycat
Every post that begins: VIllanova minor sport and we have more than 20 to choose from plus several that don't even exist (ice hockey) v. football always has the same 30 replies in the same order:
1. Malcontent
2. Ball alt
3. Ball alt alt
4. DCF
5. Ball alt
6. Ball alt alt
rinse, repeat 5 X.
Yawn.
I am not a malcontent. Is my original post a fair question?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT