ADVERTISEMENT

Losing to richmond

qwe001

Diaper Dandy
Oct 2, 2009
Unacceptable for an athletic program that runs $7 mill in the red.

For that type of money we could have a nationally elite soccer or lacrosse program that competes at the highest level. Instead we blow huge money on a division 2 football program that just lost to Richmond.

Unacceptable. Who is supporting this?

Time to cut scholarship football and go all in for big time soccer.

congratulations: we just found the two members of the Losers Club....

DC would advise you to seek help soon.

Having said that, I agree that there are more similarities than differences between U of R ("One Regiment! United!", as their pregame video barked, incongruously suggesting that a team predominantly comprised of black student athletes would draw inspiration from their stars and bars uniforms and Confederate Capitol locale) and dear 'ole VU. First, the Itsy Bitsy's were relegated to 1AA as would have been the case with Villanova, had we not dropped football in 1981. Second, the Itsy Bitsy's found new purpose in 1AA's Yankee Conference cum Atlantic 10 cum CAA, having immediate success in the mid-80s. They brought far more students and fans to Piscataway in 1984 for a knock down drag out contest with RU than were present in the home stands yesterday. After a 20 year slump, Richmond won FCS in 2008, and were dethroned by VU in a hair-raising finish in 2009 when Poppy Livers' predecessor snagged an overthrown Whitney pass for a 4th and 20 TD to end the game if you don't count the last minute length of the field drive by UR culminating in a missed chippy FG. Some things never change in 1AA.

The conspicuous absence of fans in U of R's downsized brand spanking new stadium was matched by their failure to present a band. We were treated to renditions of their fight song, if that it be, by the state-of-the-art sound system. They even play the same obscene rap song that VU warms up to during pre-game at our place, proving that Talmudic scholars can go toe to toe with Augustinian philosophers when it comes to inappropriate music at campus events. Its a catchy little pean to MF's generally and Ho's in particular.

Mrs. DC was kind enough to point out the gaggle of gray haired old men and shivering old women sheltering from the wind/rain/cold under the stands during halftime was testament to the fact that alums under 50 have found better things to do on Saturday afternoons in the Old Dominion than support 1AA football. Ironically, on our way home, we unexpectedly drove past CAA Headquarters, which conveniently adjoin a gerontology office in suburban Richmond. No cars were parked in either lot, suggesting the CAA braintrust keeps doctors hours. Thus assuring there is no chance our Commissioner will learn of the latest league departure while in the raiding league's press box, as was the case in the Big East.

Richmond has an impressive leafy campus. A lot like Duke- or VU if you prefer. As a small, small private, they have to raid the endowment to finance D1 football. They are overshadowed by Penn State and the Eagles- er, I mean by UVA and the Redskins, and generate essentially no buzz in the local media. The WaPo ignores their games. They have a more well known and much more broadly supported hoops program (some games televised in the DMV) and over the years have had coaches who reached the Sweet 16 in widely separated intervals. They have several local rivals who lambaste their students as "carpetbaggers" from the wealthy Northeast.

They are doggedly determined to soldier on (One Regiment! United!) in FCS come hell or high water. And why should they not? They are several hours closer to Elon, Wofford, VMI, Citadel and Davidson, their once and future foes, than is VU way up North on I-95. My suspicion is that UR will be fumbling punts, missing PAT's and kicking off out of bounds long after VU football and Andy Talley have gone on to their reward.

This post was edited on 11/2 8:40 PM by DCFRANKLIN

University of Richmond are not our athletic peers. I refuse to read past the post where you try to point out similarities between the schools.

We should not be burning money on an athletic program where we lose to richmond. That is horrible.

Boston College alumnus Charlie Davies with a big game this weekend. Better than anything a villanova football player has done since westbrook had to retire due to concussions. No reason why we should be throwing good money after bad football when there are other alternatives.

Just common sense at this point.

Wow. Didn't hear from ball once during our seven game win streak! Must have been painful! Now we drop a one pointer on the road in bad weather to a ranked team and he crawls out from under his rock. Welcome back! Oops, missed your profound message as this alias is being ignored!

It is not painful when villanova football wins. I would rather them win than lose.

It is painful when I see villanova pour huge amounts of money into a football program that loses to richmond. Makes no sense. End this already. Time to go non-scholarship and join the patriot league.

qwe........Who, then, is Villanova allowed to lose to in football, to validate them playing FCS football? And, is your perception that if you play FCS football, you must win every game? Some how, can't seem to make this thinking fit.........

I feel bad for our football players. They have no support. They already have to play at a school that's not really interested in a football team to begin with and no matter what they do people down them. Their moral is low. They have no fan support at the games. It's very quiet at the games. My high school football games in the south had more fans and we sucked. But the south is loyal to football. The NE is basically basketball. Poor kids playing for a team that no one cares for. They lose a game and people call for an end to the sport.....smh

Richmond is a school that is mentioned over and over again as a possible expansion candidate for the Big East Conference, supposedly championed by Georgetown. I think Richmond is an excellent football team and institution and Villanova should be playing them in football. Villanova football has been exciting to watch this year and I expect the end of the season to be just as exciting. It was a tough loss, but we have a few more games to play. Go Cats!

Premise of this line makes no sense. Villanova has a punchers chance of winning both NCAA BB and NCAA FCS championships this year, as occurred in 2009. What other university is likely to win a BB & FB title in the same year. I support giving hard working student athletes scholarships as well as increased aid to merit scholars at a time when college has become unaffordable.

My only concern with football is what Admiral Nelson called the 'Butchers Bill.' The casualties incurred each week which is catching up with the Cats as well as most other teams.

We do not have a chance at winning the college football championship this year. Villanova plays division 2 and has already lost to syracuse and richmond. Methinks that when the 4 team playoff is announced, villanova is going to be left off that list.

Stop pretending that fcs championship counts as a national championship. It does not.

What a sad thread. Football team - there are many of us behind you. Both losses were casualties of the kicking game but certainly not for lack of Heart.

Good luck against Towson- we are behind you!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!!! This is my team whether a win or a loss. I'm no bandwagoner.

NovaNation stands tall regardless!!!!

Originally posted by qwe021:
We do not have a chance at winning the college football championship this year. Villanova plays division 2 and has already lost to syracuse and richmond. Methinks that when the 4 team playoff is announced, villanova is going to be left off that list.

Stop pretending that fcs championship counts as a national championship. It does not.
Methinks that you don't understand the difference between the FBS and FCS playoffs. You may not even understand the differences between FBS and FCS.

?

I understand the difference between fcs and fbs football. One competes at the highest level, the other is a waste of money. Correct me where/if I am wrong.

in the future, I recommend everyone ignore qwe's posts regarding Villanova football.
he likes to stir the pot and get a rise out of people - if ignored, he will no longer get any enjoyment out his silliness and he will stop.

ericw: Very good advice, have been doing for some time. Realized a long time ago he adds nothing worthwhile to discussions, except as you point out satisfying some silly need to get a rise out of people.

Eric if you are so concerned about how Villanovans respond to this jerk, why don't you ban him?

Richmond is a university that's a result of a merger of an all male Richmond with a former all women's team separated by a lake. Gwen, we know you don't like Villanova football. Why don't you relegate your wisdom to sports that you do like. I do agree with Eric that every thread that Gwen starts should have only one post.

Originally posted by UncleEd:
Eric if you are so concerned about how Villanovans respond to this jerk, why don't you ban him?
I have done that before. He is on about his eighth different handle already.
He isn't saying anything that is in and of itself a "ban-worthy offense" - he doesn't really violate the posting rules.

Originally posted by UncleEd:
I have a different point of view than you so I should be banned?

look, I care about the best neterests of Villanova.
You, in the other hand, only care about your selfish interest of rooting for our division 2 football team.
If you cared about the best interests of Villanova, you would agree with me that wasting money on division 2 football is foolish when we could be spending that money on programs that actually benefit the school.

I am the concerned villanovan. You are the one being selfish. So what makes me a jerk?

Once we read a post that has his obvious content it should become an island with no responses regardless of the moniker used.

Ncaaball on a mission.

I wish he would take his act and spam opponents boards like he used to do (and maybe still does). But to do this to fellow Villanovans is really sad.

This is one of the most enjoyable seasons I have seen from the Nova football team and they are 2 missed kicks from being undefeated. John Robertson is having a great year and aside from the Richmond game (a ranked Richmond team on the road) is on the verge of rewriting the record books that Brian Westbrook did. Nova has a great shot of winning the whole thing, I see another CAA matchup somewhere in the playoffs either in the semifinals or in the title game. Anyone who criticizes the football team obviously has not been watching the games.

This post was edited on 11/8 10:37 PM by JimB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT