ADVERTISEMENT

Making a Murderer - includes spoilers

Eberzzz

Diaper Dandy
Dec 16, 2005
Has this been discussed anywhere? I've never been so engrossed while simultaneously enraged. I honestly thought, at 5 AM last night as I powered through my 6th straight episode, that I was straight up being Blair Witched, that there was no way this amount of gross incompetence could be real and, in fact, this documentary was really a movie just made to look like a documentary.

I mean...where to even begin? I think my favorite part was googling the lead prosecutor this AM and finding out that he lost his position as DA due to being found sexting with an abuse victim (among other instances of creepy behavior) while he was simultaneously prosecuting her ex boyfriend for said abuse. What a piece of garbage.

And the accused were white! Like they say at the beginning, poor people always lose. Holy hell I need to smoke a j and pound some v.

Has this been discussed anywhere? I've never been so engrossed while simultaneously enraged. I honestly thought, at 5 AM last night as I powered through my 6th straight episode, that I was straight up being Blair Witched, that there was no way this amount of gross incompetence could be real and, in fact, this documentary was really a movie just made to look like a documentary.

I mean...where to even begin? I think my favorite part was googling the lead prosecutor this AM and finding out that he lost his position as DA due to being found sexting with an abuse victim (among other instances of creepy behavior) while he was simultaneously prosecuting her ex boyfriend for said abuse. What a piece of garbage.

And the accused were white! Like they say at the beginning, poor people always lose. Holy hell I need to smoke a j and pound some v.
I have wanted to watch it, heard it was super f*cked up.

only saw the first episode so far but I am hooked.

is there a more unfortunate looking family in America? holy cow are all those people ugly

Prepare yourself mentally. You're going to want to Hulk smash for a solid 30 minutes after each episode starting round #5.

On Episode 4. It's amazing to me that people really live this way. The Averys are the personification of the bottom 1%. Yikes.

Eh, the Averys actually look like they live reasonably comfortably. If you want to see the bottom one percent, you should watch Brother's Keeper.

"Reasonably comfortably." Every single family member qualifies as mentally retarded, has no formal education, and lives in a garbage dump.

Good call.

Reactions: NickleDimer
"Reasonably comfortably." Every single family member qualifies as mentally retarded, has no formal education, and lives in a garbage dump.

Good call.
I am going to allow TFE's comment. They probably think they are living reasonably comfortable due to the same fact that pigs don't complain about living in their own shit.

Good call.
Yeah, but they own their own business and property and seem to hold their own with something to spare. They don't seem to worry about going hungry. That's reasonably comfortable compared to the bottom one percent.

I spent a few years of my life in rural Illinois. This is not far off from some of the people I knew, none of whom I considered to be poor. The poor people were the ones living in dilapidated trailer parks renting month to month.

You would think this white trash would know how to get through a cop interrogation - even poor people have cable and can watch a Law & Order episode every now and then. Avery and cousin's lack of simple constitutional rights knowledge were exploited to a level rarely seen documented. Given, the cousin was 16, but he was questioned without a parent or attorney present, nor being advised of his rights.

Ironically, either one of them would have a better chance at getting their claims of actual innocence litigated if they were sentenced to death.

Now, that's an impossibility for both of them because Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty and even if it did, Brendan was a juvenile at the time of the crime.

When he & his mom Are on the phone and don't know the meaning of the word "inconsistent" and the repercussions of those conversations MAKES ME WANT TO MURDER

Reactions: NickleDimer
It's a compelling show but I am not sure that I believe he is innocent of the murder. There is a lot of shady stuff though.

I am not sure that I believe he is innocent of the murder. There is a lot of shady stuff though.
1. There is a lot of reasonable doubt.
2. Interrogation techniques on a 70 IQ teen are very suspect. Forrest Gump's IQ was 75.
3. The consistency of the "I do not recall" responses on the critical points of the first conviction imply some type of coordination
4. A lot of people stood to go down in the civil trial and surrounding investigation.
5. Was the kid's initial lawyer a local political pawn?
6. Gr8 points about why half ass hiding the RAv 4 when you own and operate a car crusher? Their salvage yard is accessible to the public.
7. Not a single Avery seems to have either the malevolence nor intelligence to make up a complicated lie. The seem like honest hardworking folks.

Very weird. It's like a county wide version of how cops cover each other's asses when they **** up.

Last edited:
I agree. There was plenty of doubt. I thought the Rav 4 looked planted. The stupid tree branches looked like an obvious stage job. The shady deputy calling in the plate 2 days before the car was discovered was damning in my opinion. That same shady deputy was in the vicinity when the key was found in a place that had already been searched.

The case is really weird. I believe the deputy planted the key, the car and the defendant's DNA. I also can't accept that there was no blood in the garage or trailer.

The parts I struggle with are the bones and especially the victim's DNA on the bullet. I know that the testing was questionable.

Again, I think there is too much doubt for a conviction. I think the local jury was a problem.

Don't want to give away too many spoilers but re: the bones it's pretty clear they were moved to his property from the spot a couple of miles away (pelvic bones found 2 miles south of his trailer).

No one is saying she wasn't shot. But a contaminated sample from the same forensics lady that put him away in '85...cmon. Also, the note "place her inside his trailer" from the investigator to the forensics girl.

Finding the jeep in 10 minutes in a lot that contained thousands of cars.

The deceased gals brother and ex bf (both shady as f breaking into her messages and deleting them) giving the lady who found the car a camera that morning for her search when they didn't give one to anyone else.

The brother strikes me as very shady. First interview he gave was along the lines of "we just want to begin the grieving process" ON THE DAY SHE WAS REPORTED MISSING.

I mean those aren't even top 5 most corrupt aspects of this entire thing and on their own they should be enough to cast reasonable doubt.

Yeah, the defense forensics expert - whose job it is specifically to examine sites like these - said that in these scenarios where the largest concentration of bones are found is typically where they were moved last. Said it looked like someone thought they had had grabbed all the bones from the initial location and moved them to his property but couldn't be sure because of all the contamination by the police when they were hacking at the fire pit with shovels.

Also, full quote from the brother on day his sister was reported missing:

"Um... I mean... the grieving process, you know, could last days, could last weeks, could last years. You know hopefully, we find answers as soon as possible so we can, you know, begin to... hopefully, you know, move on, hopefully with Teresa still in our life."

Starts with grieving process, only throws in hope his sister is still alive at the very end. And then basically stands behind the prosecutions stance that the murder happened in 2 separate locations (the SUV vs the trailer in the 2 separate trials).

So many details, definitely not a show you can watch while scrolling on the phone. Every court scene and jail phone convo paints another small part of the picture.

That is strange. I highly doubt the brother was a participant in the murder. What wouldn't surprise me would be that the police told him, in confidence, that she had been murdered and that they knew Avery did it. He may have had some protected information at the start while the police built their case (i.e. planted evidence).

It sounds weird but I knew someone who had a missing family member. The police told them that they had info that the person had been murdered before the body was ever found. They were told that but asked to keep it quiet so as not to interfere with the investigation.

I'm not willing to make a judgement about guilt or innocence based on the limited information we were given. We likely weren't shown a lot of testimony. That being said, I think it's pretty fair that the nephew's confession was garbage.

That prosecutor was creepy. The texts don't really surprise me after watching him talk with that weird, high-pitched voice.

The biggest question I had after the first three episodes was whether Sean Avery was part of the same Avery clan. That would explain some things.

Reactions: LoveBurger
Surprised there was no mention of Angenette Levy this far into the thread. Would love to see her reaction to the Hitachi Wand

It was a great series. Hopefully the reaction and exposure will lead to some justice.

The craziest takeaway for me is that the most incompetent of the lawyers in the show was on track to get the best result for his client. Some of the lawyers were very bright and skilled (Strang and Buting were great and Dassey's trial guys seemed passable). Yet, the buffoon that allowed his mentally-deficient client to be interrogated by the police could have gotten his client 15 years. That's pretty scary. Had Dassey allowed himself to be railroaded, he would be getting out in about 4 years.

Had kachinsky not allowed police access to his client, not set his client up with the bs investigator, the police would've had some blanket statements without any detail.

Kachinsky is a POS who railroaded his own client and was looking out for himself only. The 15yr offer, if it even existed, was not by operation of Dassey's lawyer, and presumably a condition of the plea agreement was impossible for Dassey to satisfy; to testify honestly and in detail with regard to he and Avery's rape/murder.

True but it is pretty scary that his best chance at a future was to lie and take the rap for something he probably didn't do. If you are going to fight you better win!

im reaching cleanwave thermite paint levels of conspiracy theories thinking about this. A lot of people would have to be in on the coverup if Avery didn't do it.

Dassey's whole thing is ridiculous. coaxing a false confession out of an obviously mentally challenged kid and then making it stick after not calling him at the main nursery trial is all sorts of evil. Especially after his own court appointed attorney built the strongest evidence to convict him. I'm hoping that hey announce that that whole trus was made up and Len Kachinsky is just a William H Macy act.

Reactions: NorCalVU10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT