ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Jackson and Football

prospect

All VUSports.com Team
Sep 25, 2001
Is anyone aware if the new AD has any plans to promote football differently in an effort to get more people in the stands, and make the game day experience better?? I have always thought that football is simply tolerated at Villanova. I was hoping that Jackson, having a football background, would embrace the program, instead of just having the same old some old in terms of support.

I really was expected more information about the recent spring football practices. A few pictures or something but it was just like any other year.

We have to strain our ears to catch wind of anything related to football or any other sport, for that matter, such as the Lacrosse. It's there season now and it's total silent on VUHOOPS.. I'm not expected a whole page, but there is no mention of them..

Is anyone aware if the new AD has any plans to promote football differently in an effort to get more people in the stands, and make the game day experience better?? I have always thought that football is simply tolerated at Villanova. I was hoping that Jackson, having a football background, would embrace the program, instead of just having the same old some old in terms of support.

In 2 to 3 weeks I will be running a special series of articles addressing this very topic.

I had a one on one chat with Mark a while ago. Number one topic - how to get more fannies in the seats. I believe he has been putting a game plan together.

I like the vision and direction that Athletic Director Mark Jackson has for the Athletic Department at Villanova.

I had a one on one chat with Mark a while ago. Number one topic - how to get more fannies in the seats. I believe he has been putting a game plan together.

Best way to do it - have actual seats. ;) As I get older, less and less interest in sitting on bleachers for 3 hours.

Would have been a nice touch from department to do a promo wishing JR & Cherry luck in this weekend's draft.

I know it's more likely they are NFL free agents, but it would have been nice to recognize them as they are 2 Villanova instant greats.

My completely uninformed opinion: a $15-20M makeover for the stadium once the Pavilion is done would solve most of our issues. Press box is great, scoreboard is new, the West End Zone project includes some event space, so a small-ish makeover that includes:

- chair backs on at least the home stands
- real concessions
- restrooms that don't frighten children
- a team store for gamedays

would get us most of what we need to make a day at the game more attractive for the casual fan. It's not that big of a project, and it would seem to be right up Mr. Jackson's alley.

My completely uninformed opinion: a $15-20M makeover for the stadium once the Pavilion is done would solve most of our issues. Press box is great, scoreboard is new, the West End Zone project includes some event space, so a small-ish makeover that includes:

- real concessions

would get us most of what we need to make a day at the game more attractive for the casual fan. It's not that big of a project, and it would seem to be right up Mr. Jackson's alley.
Nova got a 22.6 m pledge from basketball junkie Bill Finneran,63 C&F grad most of which is to remodel Pav. Bill donated 1m about ten years ago to endow men's hoops head coach's salary.VU has, or can raise dollars to upgrade stadium. Will VU upgrade stadium? Don't bet on it.

Last edited:
MJ damn well should have a plan.
All ready to late for 16 season. Should have been tied to spring camp. Nothing in media about the team. Now try to sell an unknown product. It's May, when the hell does the plan kick in?

Reactions: softness1
MJ damn well should have a plan.
All ready to late for 16 season. Should have been tied to spring camp. Nothing in media about the team. Now try to sell an unknown product. It's May, when the hell does the plan kick in?

- real concessions

Love the "restrooms that don't frighten children". Hard to believe 20 years ago Villanova didn't spend a little money to renovate those early 19 hundred monstrosities. Solving the dwindling interest and attendance with the football Program is one hell of a challenge. Hopefully, our new AD has some unique ideas and the ability to carry them out. Except for the Power 5 schools a large number of schools FBS and FCS are having attendance problems.

You can remodel all you want but Nova must negotiate with Radnor Township with reagards to tailgating otherwise the game day experience can never be attained except for the few who have spots behind the stadium.
Imo, tear down the north stands making room for an expanded pavillion, ( top floor of the pavillion is a restaurant that overlooks the stadium for track, soccer and lacrosse.)
Play football at PPL park

- real concessions

I remember when there were 4 restroom sets in the stadium

Reactions: DCFRANKLIN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT