Max Scherzer to Nats

MakingLove2BeckyLobo

Diaper Dandy
Oct 10, 2009
It's official!!!!

Adp have the kids out their running shoes on

giphy.gif

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hope this is true - good but not great pitcher and it may very we'll cost them Zimmerman and Desmond. That's a net loss IMO -

Read today that if they sign him that Strasburg is in play to be traded, too. Interesting.

It is a little bit strange -- at best he's slightly better than Zimmerman, who's actually a year younger and who has already had TJ surgery. (I don't think Scherzer had the surgery, which actually might make him more risky at this point).

They probably could have extended Zimmerman with a little bit of a home discount too.

They were already said to be getting rid of either Z or Desmond, now it's gonna be both.

Have to agree with you that it might not be a gr8 move.

I am stunned. Had a few conversations with some of the people involved and told there was no shot. I have to believe Strasburg or Zimmerman is sent somewhere soon. They like Zimmermman a lot more than Strasburg but I don't think Zimmermann wants to stay on the East Coast. Frankly this is why you're seeing this signing as opposed to simply extending Zimmermann. Believe he wants to head to Chicago. Be interesting to see the next move. Strasburg has two more years of control so his value is probably higher. I'm absolutely floored and happy the Lerners spent the money. There was a significant chance Zimmermann left for nothing. If everyone stays the Nats rotation goes from the best in the game to other-worldly. I might even splash a keyboard or two. Nova vs. G'town tonight and now this. Today lots going on in DC.

If they get rid of Zimmerman, are they really improved? Desmond ? They didn't lose last year because of starting pitching.

This post was edited on 1/19 6:47 AM by Ninetynine5.0

They have certainty so yes. The same folks who slam this move would slam them if Zimmermann left. They aren't giving Desmond $150 Million and already have his replacement in the system. Rizzo is looking ahead while ensuring they are good today. He's basically the opposite of Ruben. Move guarantees nothing but you've got to be encouraged they spent the money while maintaining an eye of the future. They can move Fister, Zimmermann or Strasburg for the greatest return. They have 3 number 1 starters to go with Fister, Roark and Gio. Someone will be moved for "assets". Nice spot to be in. Guarantees nothing but I'm pumped. How could you not be?

Great move. Now the Dogers, Braves, Mets, Cardinals and Giants need to make a move.

Rizzo will move a pitcher. Probably Desmond too. But now he can wait for someone to overpay for Zimmerman or Strasburg because he took the best pitcher off the table.

Shoop, I look forward to your pilgrimage to Nats Park. Your Natitude will be strong to quite strong.

Originally posted by adp98:
They have certainty so yes. The same folks who slam this move would slam them if Zimmermann left. They aren't giving Desmond $150 Million and already have his replacement in the system. Rizzo is looking ahead while ensuring they are good today. He's basically the opposite of Ruben. Move guarantees nothing but you've got to be encouraged they spent the money while maintaining an eye of the future. They can move Fister, Zimmermann or Strasburg for the greatest return. They have 3 number 1 starters to go with Fister, Roark and Gio. Someone will be moved for "assets". Nice spot to be in. Guarantees nothing but I'm pumped. How could you not be?
But again, if that happens, are they really any better? If you say yes, how so? Scherzer is very good, no doubt about that - but e's not Kershaw and if they move Zimmerman have they actually IMPROVED? If tehy have to move Zimmerman and Desmond, well I would argue they have gotten worse, because I dont care who is in your system, no rookie is going to out up Desmond's numbers on either side of the ball.

Those are, however, just ifs at the moment because the other show has not dropped and it's not a sure thing it actually will drop. Right now they just went 180M+ for a 30 year old pitcher that they really didnt need all that much. Starting pitching had very little to do with their failures in the post season. I am just wondering how they got actually better. Yes, Scherzer is better than Zimmerman, but it's not exactly a huge upgrade. And we're talking about a 30 year old with a fair amount of miles on that arm. He will get injured because they all do.

If they are really 'going for it' before Lerner croaks, then they do noting further. We'll see,

Great signing by the Nats. Scherzer was a K machine in the AL so you can only expect those numbers to go up in the NL. I don't know about the 7 year deal, but that is the price of doing business nowadays in baseball.

Like dmil said, Nats didn't lose because of their pitching last year, so this doesn't guarantee anything. They really need Harper to rebound for a poor year. I expect Rendon to get better - he is one of my top choices for MVP candidates in the NL this year, but potentially not having Werth to start the season could be a huge hit. Werth is the leader of that team.

I'll take slight improvement to a 96 win team while adding a number one starter with team control for 7 more years.Not like they won 75 games. Note, they also have more ways to add additional young talent via trade of a starter. Anyway you slice it, good day to be a Nats fan. Hopefully it leads to some October success.

Originally posted by adp98:
I'll take slight improvement to a 96 win team while adding a number one starter with team control for 7 more years.Not like they won 75 games. Note, they also have more ways to add additional young talent via trade of a starter. Anyway you slice it, good day to be a Nats fan. Hopefully it leads to some October success.
Sounds like there are plenty of reasons to circle the dining room table. May I suggest bumpers for the corners. We don't want any little people getting injured in the excitement.

Maybe, more people will start supporting the team and they can do a little better than marginally outdrawing a last place Phillies' team.

Scherzer is a fine pitcher, but hasn't had much success in postseason. maybe a good fit for Nats

Hopefully the next move is to move Desmond for Hamels and Utley.

I think the improvement is that the team is better positioned past 2015. The bullpen is a concern, with that aspect being a bit of a letdown in the postseason, and now Tyler Clippard being goin (and Soriano).

The rotation is better with no traders, basically you are replacing Roark with Scherzer, that is an upgrade. However, I cannot see how Zimmerman and Desmond will not be moved for some younger assets that will not be up for FA for several years. That has to be part of the larger plan. So assuming that happens, you will end up with Roark back in the rotation and Scherzer replacing Zimmerman, which is a really close call. You also will get a bit of a downgrade at SS in the short term. That combined with the bullpen being a bit of an issue and not as good as 2014 leads to questions about whether the team will be better in 2015. Again, definitely better in the long term planning, but maybe not for 2015.

Desmond won't be moving unless they get a king's ransom for a one-year player. Can't see if happening. Wildcard is the Phillies. They must replace J-Rolls defense and could dump Utley and Hamels as they are giving up on the next few seasons.

They way they are built, Desmond IMO is far more or a critical player for them. Starers were already top of the league -ish. Offense, defense and pen less so. Desmond would be a major loss. cant see how they trade him. Deal makes very little sense if that is the conclusion here.

Desmond is going to be traded, that's why they made the Escobar deal. Rizzo is just trying to amp up his value right now. He's going to be traded for younger assets that they can keep under control for the next ~5 years.

I doubt it but if he's moved it will be something they really like in return. Look at the contract. My money is on Zimmermann or maybe Fister moving but they don't need to make any moves. BTW, love the contract. Can't believe he took half the money deferred. Brilliant.

This post was edited on 1/19 11:55 AM by adp98

Still only 3 up on .500.....disappointing start for the Nats. I expected more. A lot more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT