ADVERTISEMENT

Move Cherry to strong safety

DCFRANKLIN

VUSports.com All-American
Dec 19, 2007
He's big enough to level those FBS renegade receivers, he's fast enough to cover the field. He can blitz like Larry Wilson (if you don't remember him, you're blessed with youth), and he can run defend on third and short. As it is, our DBs have almost as many tackles as our LBs. I also remember Dave Bauer, probably the largest SS we've ever had.
This post was edited on 12/16 12:57 PM by DCFRANKLIN

Gang-really sad about Dave and the other VU alumni who were murdered on 9-11.
Dave was a
super player and a really great Alum. Great family. Mom and dad knew how to tailgate. Red Bank Catholic.
On a happy note-Cats will get help in the secondary with the return of Trey Johnson. He had a very good freshmen season. Then was hurt preseason. Missed all of last season.

Former star TB Jeff Dingle lost his life then too. Saw it in a book at he bookstore. A story in his bio absolutely infuriated & saddened me. His wife had just given birth to their 5th (?) child ... Jeff took her engagement ring that had 4 smaller diamonds, one each representing a child, surrounding the center stone, to an unknown jeweler in NYC to have a 5th stone added. To date, his wife had not received her ring back. The receipt died with Jeff & no jeweler cam forward with the ring despite his widow's contacting every jeweler in the city. What a time for greed ... do the right thing, offer the widow condolences & return her ring ... still sad about it. Jeff was a good guy. He worked at Restaurant Atop the World at top of a tower .

I highly doubt Cherry is moving to safety at this level. Maybe NFL camps. I think Ed Shockley is probably the next Nova MLB & the 2015s both played their in HS will be down the road. (Malaguti in a traditional 4-3 & Wiley in a 4-4).

Wiley looks more like Cherry on film (athletic/speed)and Malaguti is a Lucas type looking LB on film (strong/sure tackler).

Interesting, I don't think they would move Cherry either, when I saw the thread I had to ask.
What about Lucas, I hear he will be back for a 5th year?

He is indeed coming back from what is known. Kid has had his share of injuries. He will need some time to rehab a pretty bad knee injury. We'll see what he has left in the tank, but the heart & determination make him a plus for any team.

Curious, but is Cherry good enough to play in the NFL? If moved to Strong Safety, would his NFL prospects be better? SS is the most dire need of a lot of teams. The Seahawks have a strong secondary & are known as the 'Legion of Boom'. The Patriots SS signed as a Free Agent from Seattle last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT