ADVERTISEMENT

next season

beehive

All VUSports.com Team
Aug 20, 2001
how do we look? Robinson back for sure, how about the O line ? any D backs coming in? thanks!!

Cats should be good again next season. Only 4 seniors out of top 22 on defense. Seven out of 22 on offense. Lose two wonderful RB and some really good O lineman. I understand some talented players are in the wings. Also some very good recruits. Open at UConn on Labor Day Weekend, followed by a game in the Bronx(why two away games to open season?)
Then home for Delaware.(Parents weekend)

What can be done to get more Nova students in the seats at home games to support the program and provide a real "home field"??

Paul

God only knows what can be done. The school does nothing. The band was not even there yesterday.

Originally posted by UncleEd:

God only knows what can be done. The school does nothing. The band was not even there yesterday.

The child does nothing?

Uh? You want MORE university resources dumped into this low level football program?

Originally posted by qwe009:

Originally posted by UncleEd:

The child does nothing?

Uh? You want MORE university resources dumped into this low level football program?

YES!!!

Love to see them ditch the 3-3-5 defense to try to get a better pass rush next year. Also maybe replace an assistant or 2 on the defensive and special teams side.

Oh well it was a great season and now onto basketball.

Will the kicking game be addressed?

I will not call out the young man by name but this area needs to improve.

Is there a reason why our kicking game is so dreadful? I can understand it being a weakness as it has been in years past, but when attempting a field goal is not even a viable option, it puts the offense at a significant disadvantage.

Going for it on 4th and forever is a high risk proposition.

The way to get more people in the stands for these games is to create a culture of tailgating, which existed in 1985-1990 when the program first came back. College football is about having 2 hours in the parking lot before the game drinking and eating. While VU allows a little bit of this for alumni, it is largely non-existent / discouraged for students.

Given where our school is and alcohol issues prevalent on campus, this likely isn't going to change any time soon. Kids don't go to games because it's just a game, not an event at other schools (yes, even FBS schools). Contrast that with the kids who head down to the WFC and tailgate inn February for a hoops game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Andy has two stud running backs coming in next year: the kid from LaSalle HS that just won the AAA state title again and D'Andre Pollard from Neshaminy who won the state rushing title last year in his Junior year. We also have Gary Underwood coming back.

Tailgates used to be great on Sheehan Beach. That's what draws crowds to football games. Problem was, even though thousands would show up, many would remain to continue tailgating and never make it into the game. Then the admin forced tailgates to end around game time to try to get people in the games. Then evenutally, I guess, they moved everyone off Sheehan Beach and into the lot behind the Pavilion, away from the eyes of Lancaster Ave. That was the beginning of the end.

Recall us playing a Thursday night game on ESPN vs. #1 Holy Cross when they had Heisman candidate Gordie Lockbaum. Stadium was beyond sold out - probably 13k - 14k squeezed in and standing. Got crushed but was a great time. Also played Wake Forest on a Saturday that got almost a full house (11,624). Bring back tailgating and the fans and atmosphere will return.

GECat - Posted by a few of us --we are not sure if Pollard has had his scholly pulled by Nova. I heard it was. But none of us know for sure one way or the other. The other RB you mention plays for Archbishop Wood. Tiny, but super quick. Had a great high school career. Runs behind a big, tough, O line. But our Cats usually have a good O line.
Reports are around that Nova is after a few other RBs. We will see.

Worst part of the lower turnout for games is that the players notice. Doesn't do much for recruiting, either. What keeps fans coming, aside from the level of play, is tradition(s). I'm sorry to hear that tailgating changes have contributed to the decline, because that does fall squarely on the shoulders of the administration. Best tailgate this year was the Liberty game in the main lot. Much more activity. Many of us felt it should always be there, rather than hidden behind the stadium.

Coach T speaking about the kicker he signed last Feb " We really like him. He's been consistent since his freshman year(in HS)I think he is a guy who could be our kicker right away."
BTW this kid had big shoes to fill. The loss of Hamilton was a big loss. He had a super career. Sat in front of him at the game on Sat.

I do not understand why there was so few students at the game on Saturday...Exams, that's a lame excuse...SHU sent their band 1500 miles north, but we could not send our kids 1500 feet to the game..that said, hats off to a great year and to Chris Polony for a job well done...thanks

That exam excuse is not valid for the band or others. My daughter, a VU senior was at the game screaming her head off. Ok she did not have an exam Sat. How many others did not have an exam? Band get it together. Even with exams they could have sent a small pep band. Too cold?
Kind of a microcosm of what the University thinks about the football program
The athletic department sure thinks the football fans who bought VIP parking passes are dupes. Charged $50 for VIP parking. Should have given those spots away. Pay $250 for regular season and then can't park in VIP lot because of hoops game(Liberty football game)but for the next football game give us $50. Just a guess but I don't think they brought in $1,000. Pissed off about $10,000 worth of donors. I know fans who did not even go to the game because they were so angry.

We should be very good again next season. However, the CAA is never a picnic. Just winning the CAA, or making the playoffs is tough. To get a good seed and advance is really tough. We had a legitimate chance for a N.C. this year but Lady Luck spit in our eye Saturday. When you lose your QB, and not just any QB, but the Payton Award winning QB, that's a huge hurdle to overcome. This team almost did it. However, it illustrates how hard it is to get a N.C. You have to be very, very good and have at least a bit of good luck. We were very, very good, 3 losses by a total of 5 points. We missed out on the good luck part. Next year the challenge starts again. Hopefully we're as good as this year, and Lady Luck treats us a bit better.

paschal well said.
Makes me even more happy when I think about 1985 and 2009
Lady luck left us last Saturday. But Cats still had a great season. My family and I Love these guys

They have an offer out to a RB named Jonathan Forrest out of New Rochelle, NY. They are interested in Lorenzo Bryant (6'1" 205 lbs.) out same school as LB verbal Drew Wiley. Forrest has a few FCS offers and Bryant has Towson offer.

This post was edited on 12/16 6:44 AM by Gangtackle11

Sorry for the wrong HS Uncle Ed. Hope Pollard gets to attend 'Nova.

Student attendance is down at a lot of places. I would guess the student section was 80% empty at every UD game this year except the opener and parents day.

Last few games i bet there were not even 250 students at UD games out of an undergrad empnrollent of almost 17,000.

With John Robertson now being the Walter Payton Award winner, there should be a concerted effort by the university to begin a campaign (doesn't have to be costly) to get more student and alums to the games next year, and I don't thinkit has to be expesnive. I know the relaxation of tailgate restrictions would go a long way toward to helping attendance. I also think a drip marketing campaign via e-mail and mail between let's say, March and the beginning of the season, promoting John Robertson and the quality of the team would help as well.
Also, who will they have at home next year?? I know Delaware is one of the games, but the shame of that is is that that is the Parents Weekend game. Of course, Parent's Weekend is always the best crowd, and the Delaware game in and of itselfis always a decent draw, so it is a shameDelaware and Parents Weekend aren't different dates, so you could be guaranteed to have at least 2 well attended games. Also, try to avoid having any night games in November, because playingthen is a recipe for a bad crowd, especially when you are playing an Albany or a Towson. We are due to play UNH this year, and hopefully that would be at home. It could be a great football game, and should be promoted as such.
If the Atheltic Dept isn't going to come up with a marketing/promotional campaign perhaps some members of the Football Club can and bring it to Vince. Andy deserves to have his program promoted hard.

I think our schedule is the same teams Cats played this past season. No UNH. UD ,Maine, Richmond W&M at home. Maybe Penn, U Conn and Fordham away. Towson, Albany, JMU, URI away..

Uncle Ed, you mean we have only four home games and seven away games? How does that happen?

Prospect: Andy does deserve the support, as do the players who have done an outstanding job for years both on and off the field. Can you have a better example than John Robertson, the Walter Payton winner or for that matter the 2 previous Villanova winners, Finneran and Westbrook? 3 terrific representatives of Villanova University. Unfortunately, most students have zero interest in the football team. Outside of the Big Time schools, and those in isolated areas, our students and alumni aren't all that different from most schools. You see it in those weeknight MAC games, and the attendance figures across the country. Lots of empty seats. College football, with the exception of the ones previously mentioned, is a tough sell. It was not always the case but the times have changed. I'm all for making the type of efforts you mention, and next year would be the opportune time to do it.

Some CAA teams have released their schedules and it is reported that FCS is allowed 11 games next season.

Here is what has been reported:

9/5 @ UConn
9/12- @ Fordham
9/19- Delaware
9/26- Penn
10/3- ?
10/10- William & Mary
10/17- ?
10/24-?
10/31-?
11/7-?
11/14-Richmond
11/21-@JMU

Other CAA Games/No dates: Home: Maine Away: Rhode Island,Towson, Albany

Bring tailgating back to Sheehan Beach and get a nationally televised Thursday night game. Do those two things and the fans will be there en masse.

For VU at least tailgating is needed. The night game is a pipe dream at this point.

triple - I think we have 4 home CAA games and Penn OOC 5 home 6 away

WOW! First time we don't end the season with the UDel game in a long time. Wonder what drove that decision?

Any chance Delaware game will be at PPL Stadium in Chester? Saw a great game there in 2013. It would be a great showcase for John Robertson. Or does that make too much sense.

The soccer season will still be going on so it may not. Plus it being Parents Weekend the school probably doesn't want the parents leaving campus.

Why do we play such a big rivalry game as our first home game? Also to echo an earlier post - Parents Weekend, Delaware and Homecoming draw the biggest crowds - it seems like poor scheduling to have any of them overlap.

As stated above, the pope's visit forced the UD/nova game to be moved. I think the only open date for both schools was the early sked date. Just a 1 yr thing, will go back to last game of year in 2016.

The football schedule posters should be hung up in dorms & in social venues around campus. Theposter should picture JR & Don Cherry. Never understood why it's so hard to obtain them. Just giving hem to some alumni who attend games is fine, but make them available everywhere. VU has to come up with way to entice students to dames. When there were tailgates on Sheehan, football was not the theme, drinking was. So many under-age underclassmen came to it merely to party. Understandably, Radnor, parents. etc. were pissed. Other schools have open fields around stadiums where eal tailgating took place. We just are not blessed with that kind of space. Ideas?

can't wait for the UConn game!!

Hoping for a repeat of JR winning the Walter Payton Award to go along with the National Championship.

This post was edited on 12/19 9:06 PM by JimB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT