ADVERTISEMENT

Open letter to QWE 002, 003, 005, 007, 009

Jul 28, 2013
QWE, I usually laugh at your posts, but yesterday in your exuberance over the loss you had rooted for last week, you made factual errors and crossed a line even someone like you shouldn't be allowed to cross without response.

First, in the spirit of full disclosure, I am the parent of a football player. I won't hide my bias the way you hide yours.

When my son chose Villanova, he chose it over Delaware, Penn and Harvard and others. He chose Villanova because it offered the best overall experience - a great education, a great culture, a great FBS football program and a great basketball program that on a few occasions each year allows him the opportunity to have a fan experience similar to what he would have found at an ACC or Big Ten university.

Embedded in that decision is wisdom that is lost on you. Greatness within elements of an organization is not a zero sum game. No element of Villanova would benefit from football's demise. Greatness feeds on itself and great universities strive to be great at everything they do - all sports … all academic programs … the total university experience. To weaken one is to weaken all.

My son was also a soccer player and won a state championship. I know what it is like to hope people support a sport (soccer) that they don't truly appreciate or understand. As an apparent soccer fan, I would think you would have learned from that experience instead of mimicking the shortsightedness.

Perhaps, if football had been more of a priority, Villanova basketball would still be in a league with UConn, and Syracuse - a perfect example of how each element benefits the whole in ways that cannot always be predicted. To take your advice is to suggest Villanova move closer to becoming Creighton than UConn or Wake Forest.

The college sports landscape is changing and the first rule must be to keep options open. Who knows what might happen? Who could have predicted the significance of ESPN, The Big East and Big Monday? Who could have anticipated the 30-year brand halo of the 1985 NCAA tournament?

Despite your attempts to label it otherwise, Villanova competes at a very high level of football and entered the playoffs as the team with the highest graduation rate. That should be a source of pride for you and anyone who supports Villanova.

The transfers at SHSU you suggested were not talented enough for FCS programs were actually contributing members of those FCS teams but dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons - then scooped up by SHSU. That's a practice Villanova does not engage in.

Most importantly, yesterday, you crossed a line by referring to a kid you've never met and know nothing about as a "thug" in multiple posts. There are all kinds of overtones in that label that could be addressed, but suffice it to say if you are any man at all, you will offer a public apology for slandering a kid who has done nothing but represent Villanova with his dedication and effort. These young men play through injuries you couldn't begin to understand. And they do so, not to be on TV and despite the lack of support. They play for the love of the game. And that is something everyone should celebrate.

These players you constantly criticize will be twice the men and twice the Villanovans you are (if you are) - giving back to the university in their time, in their resources and in the personal reputations and successes they will create.

Villanova football is a top eight program with the highest graduation rate among playoff teams and a culture that shapes good young men. Congratulations to the players, coaches, administrators and fans for realizing and recognizing those accomplishments.

QWE, you may not understand, but you don't have the right to anonymously slander people. If you go there, at least have the courage to sign your name.

tremendous post. andrew has some serious emotional problems that manifest as this kind of obsessive posting and trolling. If it makes anyone feel any better, he doesn't believe anything he is posting; he is a 5-year-old who doesn't get enough attention and acts out for any sort of interaction at all. I don't know why he is allowed to troll our own boards.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

nova525 - Very well said. Over my 40 years of watching Villanova football, I have always been proud of the kids that Villanova puts on the field. I personally know some of the kids and their parents. My son has also been in class with a good amount of the players. Nothing but class and might I mention, extremely intelligent young men. To refer to them as thugs is way over the line.

This guy has his own agenda and will do anything he can to denigrate Andy and his program. From what I understand, he really could care less about anything Villanova football related and goes out of his way to put down anyone who is remotely associated with the program. I seriously think that he needs help with this obsession.

My wife is a 1985 graduate of VIllanova. They are the only class that did not have football for their entire four years. Those four years were certainly dull around campus, until the 85 basketball championship. When Villanova football was revived, it was brought back to the highest level of competition for 1AA/FCS. So far, it has been a perfect fit and the team and coaches have made it one of the top programs in the country. Both Andy and the team spend countless hours with the bone marrow program and our fine representatives of the university. Unlike some other schools, our team puts their studies first and foremost. I for one am always proud of the effort of our football team on and off the field.

Merry Christmas !!

Well said gentlemen. Villanova's football program, players and coaching staff is a source of pride for any true Villanovan. My dad always told me, "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing."

Nova525, thanks for your excellent post. The behavior of Qwe (who formerly posted as Ncaaball) is disgraceful. Don't hold you breath waiting for him to apologize, though. I join you in congratulating the players and coaches for the great season they gave us. Looking forward to next year already.

Great post! Fully support this point of view. Love your insight into VUFootball program and what it means.

This post was edited on 12/14 12:37 PM by BobSac

Originally posted by BobSac:
Great post! Fully support this point of view. Love your insight into VUFootball program and what it means.

This post was edited on 12/14 12:37 PM by BobSac
I'm a VU grad and support VU athletics. The problem, judging from the paltry attendance at the season's most important game, is that the VU football program doesn't mean that much to the VU students.

Thank you for your insight from a parents viewpoint. Many of us are alumni ,parents of graduates and fans. Loved reading the insight of a players family. I hope your son is proud of the team and all it's players. Merry Christmas

1. I don't believe you. Smells like UncleEd to me.
2. Dropping football is the best move for villanova. The fact that you don't even know that syracuse and UConn are no longer in the same league shows your credibility on that issue (you state if we upgraded to division 1 fb we would still be in their league..)
3. Your statement about why your son chose nova over Harvard is illogical and not believable
4. I disagree that no elements of villanova would benefit from dropping our football program. Dropping football would free up $7 mill peer yr and would be a huge benefit to the athletic program.
5. Most schools play football and socce re in the same season. Where did your son go to school where he was able to play both?
6. Villanova does not compete at a high level of football. The game I watched yesterday was not a high level of football. It was bad football, poorly coached football, and undisciplined punks on our team making game costing personal foul penalties (and I never called anyone a thug, I called him a punk, which he clearly is by his selfish anger management issues)
7. I don't generally criticize the players. Root for the players, but root for the best interests of the school, which means dumping football
8. Villanova is not a top 8 program. It is not even a top 80 program. It is a division 2 program
9. You are obviously not a first time poster as your improper talking points have been repeated by other "alts" many times

Villanova has tried football. The university has given football unbelievable institutional support the past 15 yrs. The villanova community has responded: no one cares! 5,000 total fans for two home playoff games. Yet this is a program that is receiving almost a quarter of the athletic department's operating budget. There are about 500 friends and family of the program that support it. Should we really be expending so much of our athletic department resources on a product that very few in the villanova community care about?

The program is not above criticism. The program is bad for villanova athletics.

nova525: Excellent and thoughtful post. I see 009 has responded. I don't know what he has responded as he's been on my ignore list for some time. I recognize the ignore button isn't everyones cup of tea. It works for me as his posts are designed to get rises out of people and feed his needs. Don't need to be a party to that. I feel sorry for the lad, hope he gets the help he needs.

QWE …

I do not care what you believe and I certainly don't care about your thoughts on my son.

Unlike you, I respect your right to have your opinion even though I reject the incessant way you do it.

For sake of clarification, I didn't say UConn and Syracuse are in the same conference, I said IF Villanova had made football more of a priority PERHAPS they would all be in a conference together. That is not to say UConn and Syracuse are now. Sorry to confuse you with a conditional statement.

Further, high school soccer is played in different seasons. In warmer climates, soccer is played in Winter and Spring. See this from the ESPN High School Soccer site: "When it comes to national rankings, high school soccer poses a problem unique to the high school sports landscape: there's no particular season. Depending on the state, soccer could be a fall, winter or spring sport. Therefore, during the course of the school year, ESPN RISE recognizes a FAB 50 for each season."

And if, upon reflection, your best defense is that you called a kid a "punk" not a "thug," I think that speaks for itself.

Onward. Looking forward to a great remainder of the year for all of Villanova athletics and many football wins next year. You'll have an open invitation to my tailgate.

Thank you for your thoughtful insight. Great to hear from a VU football parent. Both your posts were excellent.
I hope your son enjoys his days at Villanova.

QWE boy or whatever your name is...just go away. Period. That would be the best thing for Nova Athletics and the University as a whole. Narcissistic blather and pollution like your belong somewhere else. I am very proud that my family has an endowed football scholarship that helps defray the costs of tuition for one football player each year. This is a terrific program. If you ever had the gumption, I'd love to talk to you privately to tell you one on one how wonderful the program is and why. perhaps you could bring a dictionary...maybe then you will understand what I would say. Oh and it's the Timko Family Endowed Scholarship...and I live in reading Pa. Come up any time you inane drone. But stop hiding behind your aliases. Be a man...if you can..

You think silencing the truth is the best thing for the program? Burn the books that speak of a different opinion?

No!

Gr8 job endowing a scholarship. So when the powers that be wake up and go non-scholarship, we can keep one player on scholarship (or divide it up among a few players)

Maybe you should cancel that scholarship and put that money into the much needed pavilion renovation. You know, something that would actually benefit the school? What do you think, boogerman?

QWE boy or whatever your name is...perhaps coward. You cannot count high enough to calculate the support over the last thirty years given to my beloved University. Support is rendered in many areas. My invite to come up to Reading to talk stands...it would be a lot of fun! You really dont get it and never will. Just wish you weren't such a boy. Oh, and out ship goes to the player with the highest academic average. That was set by my Dad...who played football at Temple in the forties...then went on to be come Chair at a large engineering construction Co. I know Temple football is useless too. Blah blah blah. I would really love so to meet...come on coward...QWE..boy...whatever.

Amazing display if the villanova tuff guy mentality here.

Someone disagrees with your opinion and it deteriorates into personal insults. Seems to be the norm for the football tuff guys on the board.

Anyway, boogerman, next time i am in PA I will look you up and you can explain to me why it makes sense for villanova to spend more money on football than basketball. Because with basketball I see the face of the university and a way for the villanova community to keep ties with the school. With football I see a low level program that offers no public relations benefit, embarrasses the school by losing to programs like Yosemite sam state and stony Brook, and has absolutely no interest among the villanova community (the attendance numbers don't lie)

Now go ahead and insult me if you wish, because we all know that you cannot dispute the words I speak.

Who writes Gr8? Everybody should just ignore the fool

QWE or whatever your name is...coward...you do have some salient points!! I truly mean I would love to sit down and talk to you to show you how misguided your thinking is!! The other issue is simply this...you are the insulting one...you insult a whole cadre of people and young men with your ridiculous posts that they read. How does that make these kids feel? I'll tell you how...lousy. I know you think you are intellectually superior to everyone.. and more highly educated,etc...which I will guarantee you are not...but if this is so true and you want the university to be at its peak why hurt those working so hard to advance the name??? There is my real objection. I hope you do have a nice Christmas season and if ever you are in Reading look me up, we'll go to lunch and have some fun!!

I think a lot of the energy being expended on this board could be better used to get VU to promote its football program better and to get more VU football fans in the seats. No matter if you like the program or not, the fact that attendance at home games by the VU community is disappointing cannot be denied. And yes, I'm a Nova grad (Civil Engr.).

Mrs. DCF and I ran into a handful of our players today at Minella's after Mass and before the Temple game. They recognized me, I recognized them. The hurt in their eyes was palpable. There was no need for any words. I interacted with many TRUE Villanovans this weekend at the Blue White Christmas Party, at Mass (Fr. McGuiness, a dead ringer for Fr. Peter, preached a very uplifting sermon on Joy), and of course at the Pavilion. Everywhere I went, folks expressed pride and disappointment - pride in how well our players played in the absence of their acknowledged leader and Payton Award finalist. The poor kicker who had suffered so much much abuse this season had redeemed himself admirably and was nearly our MVP, following Polony and too many others to mention. Disappointment over the outcome, obviously, particularly because we had a chance to win against all odds. So many had watched on ESPN 3. Others had listened to the radio broadcast. Some, too few, had braved the elements. But all were proud of our kids.

I ignore the mentally ill troll who plagues us. But in deference to the feelings of our student athletes, their families, our students, alums and friends, I will not post another message on the Football Board until Eric permanently bans this scum, in all his alts, from the Football Board. He has hurt way too many people. The awful things he is reported to have posted yesterday are obviously a cry for help.

Merry Christmas, Villanovans!

Signing off for now,

DC Franklin

Go Cats!

This post was edited on 12/14 9:09 PM by DCFRANKLIN

nova525.......thank you for this post.......i will take advance orders for the uconn tailgate menu for you and your family

Dcfranklin, the biggest hurt in this situation is the hurt that villanova football puts on the rest of the athletic department.

Last time we dropped football, we won the basketball national championship. Let's repeat that feat!!

And I feel bad for the kids (except for the punk who had the game losing personal foul penalty and the kicker (although that is more talley's fault than his)).

i feel bad for smucks like you.......villanova football is enjoyed by many great villanovans on a fall saturday and will continue to do so...........go back to your train set

Originally posted by lot8b:
i feel bad for smucks like you.......villanova football is enjoyed by many great villanovans on a fall saturday and will continue to do so...........go back to your train set
2,110 of them to be exact yesterday. And 3,000 the week before, most of those were Jerry Falwell fans.

And nd if we go to non-scholarship, the same 2,000 fans can show up for 6 Saturday's every fall just as they do now. How every we won't be harming the rest of the university's athletic program in order to give those 2,000 fans theirs entertainment for a dozen weekends a year.

Ball, if FB went non-scholarship, we'd also have to drop 65 women's scholarships to stay Title IX compliant. Isn't that hurting Villanova Athletics?

Originally posted by lot8b:
nurse...report to room qweer 002 immediately
A gay joke? Nice. Make the villanova tuff guy mentality a reality.

Letsgonova, we could fully fund soccer and lacrosse with some of those scholarships. And I donot believe title nine requires that the scholarships be equal, and you can have more women than men scholarships if desired. So I do not think that is a concern.

It requires spending in proportion to the overall student makeup, so u couldn't just drop 65 men's scholarships and call it a day. Fully funding lax and soccer is only like 15-20 ships, not even close to a counterbalance. So, you'd cut athletic funding to likely over 100 female athletes (very few have full scholarships).

Football exists at Villanova because there is a large and well-heeled alumni base who suppor the program. The playoff attendance notwithstanding, we sell out homecoming and parents weekend each year. The program has a real value to campus. Most of the millions you claim are wasted are scholarship costs which aren't real cash costs to the University.

there, some more merit-based discussion for you.

QWE or whatever your name is...coward...you do have some salient points!! I truly mean I would love to sit down and talk to you to show you how misguided your thinking is!! The other issue is simply this...you are the insulting one...you insult a whole cadre of people and young men with your ridiculous posts that they read. How does that make these kids feel? I'll tell you how...lousy. I know you think you are intellectually superior to everyone.. and more highly educated,etc...which I will guarantee you are not...but if this is so true and you want the university to be at its peak why hurt those working so hard to advance the name??? There is my real objection. I hope you do have a nice Christmas season and if ever you are in Reading look me up, we'll go to lunch and have some fun!!

Originally posted by prospect:
AvalonFal, do you go to any of the games??
Used to go to many (more basketball than football), but now I am >100 miles from VU so it's a little tougher to
attend. But my concern is why more current VU students don't go to the football games. When I was a VU student many years back, on campus activities were big events.

Eric this guy deserves to be banned permanently. This site is meant to be an enjoyable way for Nova fans to keep with the athletic program, especially those like myself you live a distance away and don't get much information in the newspapers or local TV. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but obsessively repeating it over a thousand times is distasteful, causes much irritation and is upsetting to fans who only want to keep up with the good news from Villanova athletics.

Eric, I totally agree with PCH. Ban the guy from posting his drivel on this board once & for all. He is entitled to his opinion, but after a point, his constant negativity is distateful and disturbing.

ShowwalterEjected,EjectsUmps.gif

Eric-

Well done. You and I have only met briefly at a tailgate, but I could tell you are a straight shooter. You certainly allowed him all the rope he needed.

In my opinion he was a cancer precisely because he sought to sow discord between VU football and basketball fan bases. I've never met a Villanova football fan who disparaged the basketball program. Maybe a little bit of constructive criticism here and there, from yours truly and others, but that's it.

Certainly outside trollers have posted hateful messages about our programs, but that's to be expected given the competitive imbalance of the Big 5. But the internecine warfare waged by a few, and "led" by this sorry specimen, has to end. Like I said, its a cancer that has to be excised for the good of all.

Personally, I would allow him back on the basketball board in due time (next season?), so long as he never resumes his smear campaign against VU football under any guise or alt. For the past 17 seasons, it has been my privilege to be a sometimes all-too-frequent contributor to vusports.com, and am known to most as a football supporter but have also managed to take in 700 or so VU hoops games from Pauley Pavilion to Rupp Arena to Disney World to almost everywhere in between. I hope to continue as long as the Good Lord allows.

At the risk of being repetitive, Best Wishes to you, yours, and to all for a Merry Christmas.

This post was edited on 12/16 12:37 PM by DCFRANKLIN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT