ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar nominations

JK Simmonds?

Those Framers commercials are great. but are they really Oscar worthy?

Well he won a golden globe and the supporting categories are typically where they reward veteran character actors or go really out of the box and give oscars for performances in movies like City Slickers or My Cousin Vinny.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Novacatt94:
What about Foxcatcher?
Didn't make the cut for Best Pic. Nominated for Director (Miller), Supp, Actor (Ruffalo), and Actor (Carell). I think Ruffalo has a chance, not the other two.

Originally posted by Lowry45:
Why the hell is the Lego Movie not nominated? Disgraceful.
Biggest snub, at least everything is awesome got nominated for best song

Don't worry if you didn't like the picks. "Rev" Al is on the case.

Originally posted by tjc3844:
Don't worry if you didn't like the picks. "Rev" Al is on the case.
th

Could care less about the Oscars.......all that matters is if I liked the movie. 90% of the movies I wouldn't even think of seeing, just based on the previews shown on TV or what I think it's about. For instance, would never watch any zombie movie, Harry Potter, or anything that isn't a true story or based on true story.

Originally posted by Mainliner II:
Could care less about the Oscars.......all that matters is if I liked the movie. 90% of the movies I wouldn't even think of seeing, just based on the previews shown on TV or what I think it's about. For instance, would never watch any zombie movie, Harry Potter, or anything that isn't a true story or based on true story.
So.... you've never seen about 90% of all movies worth seeing? WTF are you saying, you've never seen Star Wars (1977)?

Originally posted by OldManYellsatCloud:
Nice work, Dean. 4 for 6.

Still can't believe travolta shows up to these things with that awful wig every year.
Travolta must have literally no shame when i comes to his wigs. Also, he's turned into Hollywood's version of creepy Joe Biden. Strange dude.

Anyway, I tried to sit through Birdman this weekend, as I thought it would probably win. Unbelievably awful. Got about an hour and ten minutes in before I called it a night. That's the secod time i've tried to sit though a boring, self absorbed, self indulgent POS about characters no one could ever care about from this director. It was like watching my own posts on BWs. He himself did a nice job with the who 'one take' thing, but the story sucked, the characters sucked and the film itself is dog just like Babel was. Only bright spot was (as always) Ed Norton. But even his character was closer to an SNL skit than something memorable.

It was almost as overwrought as Boyhood, which I also could not get through. Have not seen Whiplash, but it seems everyone really likes that one.

Where have you gone Shawshank Redemption

Because it's just a phrase. People say a ton of shit that doesn't make sense exactly but when it's said, everyone knows exactly what the person means. That's the point of language, saying something so the people you speak with understand you.

Dmill, I watched Birdman Saturday night and couldn't get into it at all. Since everyone was freaking out over it I kept assuming it was going to get started any minute and it just never did. I thought Norton was good but thought Keaton was awful. Also, the super powers thing made absolutely no sense, the ending made no sense and I guess I understood the point of the script but it was so transparent and dull I couldn't believe that's what it was really all about. Never in a million years would I come away from watching that movie and think it would be nominated for an Oscar. They started to dabble into like 5 or 6 different story lines and then just didn't address any of them which made them completely pointless within the movie. Honestly, I could have seen the movie be nominated for a Razzie, that's how much I didn't like it. Also, the feeling was mutual among the many other people in the room. I usually like these weird Oscar movies but this was plain terrible.

"The Academy" (how pretentious is that phrase?) loves movies about themselves, which is why Birdman won so many awards. That movie, along with the annual show, take narcissism to a whole new level.

Originally posted by tomdudes:
"The Academy" (how pretentious is that phrase?) loves movies about themselves, which is why Birdman won so many awards. That movie, along with the annual show, take narcissism to a whole new level.
Unless they are too honest, like The Player, which was excellent.

Selmore, dead on. I rarely give up on any movie I've invested in even a little bit. I've gutted out countless bad movies. I finally cut my loses on Birdman - over an hour into a bad story that was barely half way though. Painful.

Didn't watch the Oscars.....not a fan of the host.......only saw 3-4 movies the entire year; never heard of half of them or the actors nominated. Also, the day after the Oscars may be worse than the actual show......every network is rehashing the winners and losers, what they wore, the host was good, the host was lousy, thank god it's over.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

And even that didn't win. Still can't believe Forrest Gump beat out both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction. Some movies seem right at the time and then don't hold up years later. And then there's Forrest Gump which didn't make much sense then and seems like a complete outrage 21 years later.

Makes me wonder how these things really work. Is bribery and favoritism going on during voting process? Blackmail? There have been so many bad choices over the years, that there must be.

Originally posted by Mainliner II:
Didn't watch the Oscars.....not a fan of the host.......only saw 3-4 movies the entire year; never heard of half of them or the actors nominated. Also, the day after the Oscars may be worse than the actual show......every network is rehashing the winners and losers, what they wore, the host was good, the host was lousy, thank god it's over.
Thanks for stopping by, Mainliner. What's the point of even opening a thread like this if that's your take, just to let everyone know how miserable you are?

I saw Boyhood this weekend and although I liked the idea of how it was filmed, the actual movie itself didn't do much for me. I did like a lot of the music though: Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, etc.

I knew it wouldn't win anything but I liked Grand Budapest Hotel, saw it a few months back and thought it was pretty good.

Definitely want to see Whiplash.

Originally posted by 50ShadesOfCreigh:
Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

And even that didn't win. Still can't believe Forrest Gump beat out both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction. Some movies seem right at the time and then don't hold up years later. And then there's Forrest Gump which didn't make much sense then and seems like a complete outrage 21 years later.

Makes me wonder how these things really work. Is bribery and favoritism going on during voting process? Blackmail? There have been so many bad choices over the years, that there must be.
Shawshank is a better movie than Forest Gump - but I dont really have a major issue with the loss, because Forest Gump is a good movie, with interesting people and a good story. It was a big idea, and that's ok with me. again both Shawshank and Pulp are better movies, but at least you remember Gump. Birdman is like Crash or Traffic - no staying power. Here and gone. Forgotten soon enough.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan.

thats all you need to know.
Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now

Ordinary People over Raging Bull

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas

Then there's the best actor/actress make up awards. Pacino doesn't win for any of his iconic roles but wins for Scent of Woman? Not even his best work that year let alone in his career. (Glengarry Glenn Ross was).

Denzel doesn't win for Malcolm X yet wins for Training Day?!

I enjoyed Grand Budapest at well. It was very original, utterly stupid (in a good way) and never took itself too serious. Best Wes Anderson film since Rushmore probably. Fienes was really good too.

Just like collehe hoops the movies of today don't hold up to their predecessors:)......So many more better movies in the 70's, 80's, and 90's

Don't get all the Forest Gump hate that has come about in recent years. Very interesting story and a fun movie that goes into a ton of different things. Sure it doesn't make all that much sense but I thought it was a really fun movie to watch and liked how they incorporated all the events that they did.

538 did a piece about the biggest Oscar upsets of the last 25 years and number 1 and 2 were Braveheart over Apollo 13 and Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

Back to Travolta for a moment. Anyone provide rationale for wearing the rug sometimes as opposed to always/never? Or is this simply a new level of narcissism, where everyone's in on the joke but he just doesn't care? In that case, I'm leaning towards a cap tip for honestly around the fake hair. If that makes any sense. As for show, I didn't realize it was on.

The fact that every major A list star doesn't suffer from any hair loss or recession defies all odds. Guys in their 40s and 50s like Leo, Pitt, Clooney, Cruise, Cooper, McCaughney, Wahlberg, Bale, Affleck, Damon, etc are most likely doing something in terms of concealing or a hair transplant. McCaughney obviously had something done. Affleck had been rumored to wear a wig since the 90s.

There's no way all these guys have been blessed with good hair genes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT