ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Laptop Computers

kjbert

Post -a-holic
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
I need a Laptop Computer for work. Mac products are not compatible with our operating system.

I will only be using this computer for remote access and e-mail. So I don't need a $2,000 super computer.

Anyone have a good recommendation?

Originally posted by kjbert:

I need a Laptop Computer for work. Mac products are not compatible with our operating system.

I will only be using this computer for remote access and e-mail. So I don't need a $2,000 super computer.

Anyone have a good recommendation?
I recently got a new dell latitude through work. 14 inch screen good size, not too big/small for putting it in a bag and working at clients. Form factor is good/sleek, and its extremely light. Not sure if you have a docking station, but the only downside is that most of the updated dell laptops are not compatible with them. You will need to use a port replicator instead

No matter which laptop you end up going with, I would recommend getting a Solid State Hard Drive Makes a world of difference for general performance.

Also, many of my colleagues have shifted to the surface pro 3, sort of a laptop-tablet hybrid. They all seem to really like it
Posted from Rivals Mobile

great advice guys. Thank you. I haven't really heard anyone talk about Dells recently, but when the need arose, I immediately thought back to college when we all had Dells. I see the journal article now, thanks Bill.

My advise - forget the laptop and go with a tablet. If you need a computer go with a desktop. You can get one for much cheaper and it will be much more powerful.

Originally posted by NovaHoops2002:
My advise - forget the laptop and go with a tablet. If you need a computer go with a desktop. You can get one for much cheaper and it will be much more powerful.
I have a tablet (iPad). I need something to carry around to clients that is compatible with our OS.

Newegg or Tiger Direct usually has very good deals. I've bought refurbished laptops from both with good results - although once TD forgot to send the the charger cord, but they sent it soon after.

Bought my wife a Lenovo Yoga. Small, not light weight like a tablet but light enough, and the fact it easily folds into a tablet gives you the best of both worlds. She needed something with a physical keyboard and with windows/office so a tablet or a surface really wasn't the answer (surface you need an actual surface to put the keyboard on to type). Windows 8 is also not nearly as bad as some people make it out, very user friendly even for a novice...they did a decent job ripping off apple in their OS design

There are several convertible laptops out there but I prefer this form factor over say one of the HP's where to convert it into a tablet you removed the screen...was way too heavy and screamed poor design.

I use a Lenovo Yoga as well. Really nice machine.

For a laptop, your priority should be battery life and screen resolution above all else. SSD is mandatory and makes a huge difference. Everything else is gravy.

I haven't moved to hybrids/tablets. They seem flimsy to me. I still like the feel of a solid laptop.
WLT162.lb_samsngseries9.samsung9f-580-90.jpg

Reactions: ericw
Originally posted by Villanova U:
I use a Lenovo Yoga as well. Really nice machine.

For a laptop, your priority should be battery life and screen resolution above all else. SSD is mandatory and makes a huge difference. Everything else is gravy.
Agreed. One thing i found was many manufacturers will not provide approximate battery life anymore...used to be a pretty big selling point a few years back. For the most part you'll be getting between 3 and 6 hours of battery life depending upon what your doing on the machine...wifi on less battery life, screen on maximum brightness less battery life, etc. SSD will help improve bettery life along with processing technology geared towards mobility.

The main goal should be to get something which fits into the application you are going to use it for. If your just using it to surf and write emails, don't go nuts on extra bells and whistles. I feel to many times people who buy laptops like to think their going to use some of the extra functionality or take advantage of the improved technologies (better processor for example), when all you needed was a toyota corolla.

I've been using Lenovos for the past few years and love them. I have an x230 with a SSD which is a few years old but it is small, lightweight and rugged. Exactly what I need out of a laptop that I throw in my bag and go.

If you go with a Lenovo, go with the thicker models with smaller screen size. People I work with have the thinner widescreen models and hate them. It is important to look at what ports are built into the laptop case itself and which require a dongle to use. For example, on the thinner Lenovos, you need a dongle to connect to a monitor, a LAN cable or any other peripheral that doesn't use USB. I think they only have 1 or 2 USB ports as well.

I also recommend the Lenovo brand. People I know in IT all recommend them when it comes to non Macs. I have a T440S and it is really nice but up there in cost. One way to alleviate cost is to buy extra RAM separately and then have someone install it for you (I.e make a 4GB an 8 GB) or do it yourself after looking it up online.

Only problem with my Lenovo is the trackpad. Really jumpy and at times can be frustrating. If you are using a mouse these problems go away, but definitely test out any trackpad yourself before purchasing a laptop! Can ruin the whole computer despite powerful specs.

Lenovo's ThinkPad models are the continuation of the IBM business that they bought. Designed and (mostly) made in the U.S., and are extremely reliable. Their other stuff is Chinese garbage like you get from any other manufacturer.

KJB, October I got new laptop. It's awesome. The folks in my office got it for $549 on Amazon Prime. It's some sort of HP Pro book.You'd think given I'm using it right now the model would be obvious. I'll find my receipt and provide the info. Light, quick and perfect. The kid who got it for me is a computer geek who knows this stuff. I'm sure there are much better more expensive models but it works just fine for me.

I recently got the new dell 15' with SSD. It's great. I chose between that the the Lenovo, with the Dells sturdiness a plus for me. Lenovo is better looking, slimmer, lighter, but screen cracks very easily.
Regardless of make, get SSD, the upspend is well worth it as speed is fantastic in all phases.

You could consider a Google Chromebook too with the MSft Office apps. Especially if just "remoting" in to your desktop.
I got my kids on for Christmas and I have used it a bit to see how it compares, and it could do what I needed. They are pretty cheap too. Not a ton of hard storage obviously but doesn't sound like your using it to store the millions of photos of your kid.

If so just buy a sub external hard drive to dump all that stuff on, or buy cloud storage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT