ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rick Santorum is running for President (again)

kjbert

Post -a-holic
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
abc_TW_SantorumNascar_jt_120226_wblog.jpg

The Little Engine that Couldn't. God bless him for tryin' though. A man has to chase his dreams.

Why not run for president? He'll get some donations, find some loopholes and make some dough. Whether he sells his endorsement to another candidate or just straight steals campaign money, he'll be laughing at his beach front mansion in November 2016.

Why not run for president? He'll get some donations, find some loopholes and make some dough. Whether he sells his endorsement to another candidate or just straight steals campaign money, he'll be laughing at his beach front mansion in November 2016.

Not to mention speech fees from idiots like people in Arak's company paying Hilary 275K to say a few words and take a few selfies. They're everywhere.

Santorum and Huckabee are my two favorites. They run for office to keep their name out there and then go give speeches or sell stuff to the lemmings. Amazes me people gravitate to these guys and people pay them. However, they have figured out how to make cash off failed (read no shot) Presidential runs.

Reactions: ericw
Makes no difference to me what a man does for a living. Guy plays (and wins) the game. Gotta admire that.

I personally disagree with spewing hate speech for money like he does, but nothing really surprises me when it comes to what some people will do for money and attention (mostly money).

Takes huge balls to ask folks over and over again to give you money to fund a campaign that you are 100% certain you will not win.

Kudos to Rick and his huge balls.

Takes huge balls to ask folks over and over again to give you money to fund a campaign that you are 100% certain you will not win.

Kudos to Rick and his huge balls.

Not really. Sheeple write checks -- always have always will.

I never liked the guy. He and Harris Wofford took mudslinging to a new level in '95, and his holier-than-thou schtick turned me off even more.

the-new-york-times-magazine-22-maj-20053.jpg

This made me want to punch him in the face more than any ad on TV.

Reactions: kjbert
The worst part about it to me is that he won a bunch of primaries last go-round. The thought of a majority of Republicans voting for him in a state is worse than him running IMO, wasting time and focus of everyone in the party with somone who literally has zero chance of winning the office.

The worst part about it to me is that he won a bunch of primaries last go-round. The thought of a majority of Republicans voting for him in a state is worse than him running IMO, wasting time and focus of everyone in the party with somone who literally has zero chance of winning the office.

Possible that some/many of those votes were protest votes? The other options were Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich.

I think one of the republican party's biggest issues is that these guys force potentially more electable national candidates to tack more right in the primaries than they would otherwise want to - and then not be able to tack back towards the center in the general election. One of the reasons why the GOP also wants someone like elizabeth warren to run for the democratic nomination (just the inverse).

Saw pataki throw his hat in the ring - how many is that now?

The Dems do the exact same same thing when there is a Republican incumbent.

And that election was Romney's to lose. Had he run a better campaign or if even a marginally better candidate had been the nominee, Obama would have been toast.

The Dems do the exact same same thing when there is a Republican incumbent.

And that election was Romney's to lose. Had he run a better campaign or if even a marginally better candidate had been the nominee, Obama would have been toast.

Same was true in 2004 though. Unseating an incumbent these days is obviously not easy. It helps not to say stupid things along the way like Kerry and Romney did. GoP would be wise to get off anything trickle down related. They have that vote sewn up by a huge margin regardless. Have to start addressing larger demos in OH NC FLA MN MI CO

Completely agree about 2004. GWB was a sitting duck. Kerry was a terrible candidate who ran an awful campaign. Not a good combination.

I am excited to see who tjc is looking at. He always has interesting choices early on, and he follows it closer than I do, so would love some background.

The moment I saw the picture of John Kerry windsurfing I knew there was zero chance that man would ever be President.

The moment I saw the picture of John Kerry windsurfing I knew there was zero chance that man would ever be President.

By himself no less. Like he had no friends. And there were a series of similar pictures of him doing 1% er things. I'd throw in the stupid way of pronouncing his wife The- RAAA-za didnt help. And Romney basically repeated the same mistake. Day after the convention what doe he do? Seen cruising around on like a 30ft boat at one of his summer homes. Way to relate boys!

Biden is a strange bird.

Giving a shoulder rub and whispering sweet nothings into the ear of the wife of the new Secretary of Defense as he is introduced to the world, behind the podium in full view of the cameras?

If Biden was a member of this newsgroup, he'd be accused of being an "alt."

Biden is a strange bird.

Giving a shoulder rub and whispering sweet nothings into the ear of the wife of the new Secretary of Defense as he is introduced to the world, behind the podium in full view of the cameras?

If Biden was a member of this newsgroup, he'd be accused of being an "alt."
I f'ing love Joe Biden. We don't ever need him to be President but can tell you from personal experience, Joe Biden is awesome. All of us would love to sit and crush a few beers or play a round of golf with Joe Biden, gr8 freaking guy.

No, we're holding the fact he's not Presidential material against him. Still awesome as a human being. One of my favorite people in DC. Gr8 Senator, would not be a good President.

I don't see a lot of presidential material out there. Please list my presidential material options.
Hillary
Jeb
Walker
Rubio (although he's very green and never run anything/same thing we said about Obama)

Sure there are a bunch of others. Biden's awesome and he's a great Senator. He's also served well as VP and frankly Obama would have been more successful working with the Hilll if he let Biden do more of that engagement. Everyone loves Joe Biden. Just as solid as they come.

I am excited to see who tjc is looking at. He always has interesting choices early on, and he follows it closer than I do, so would love some background.
I'm happy to discuss it with you, Nardi, as long as you don't twist my words like you did in 2012 when I said I thought Romney "could" win handily and you changed that to "would" win handily which I never said and had an entirely different meaning than my actual post. You're right. I am following the candidates very closely. I will vote for the candidate who has the best plan for these 3 things in this order. 1.) An economic plan that addresses head on the national debt which I believe is our top security problem. The plan MUST include changing entitlements including Social Security and Medicare, a new tax system based on consumption rather than wages. 2.) A strong plan for national defense based on power not ideological/flowery speeches. I'm not advocating international intervention but rather the strongest/best military on the planet - a mobile 21st century technologically advanced military. 3.) A sane immigration policy which also closes our borders to illegal immigration. All of the rest of the usual bullshit is meaningless to me.....i.e. the War on Women, gun control, global warming, etc. If we don't stop the ridiculous spending and re-assert respect for our country in the world, none of the stupid stuff the media will be all over will even matter. Having said that, I have already eliminated Rick Santorum for his pandering to the right wing Christians. Also out is Rand Paul because of his isolationist tendencies. Carly Fiorina also eliminated for me because her whole campaign comes down to "I can beat Hilliary because I'm a woman too." Mike Huckabee who's another right wing panderer. Jeb Bush for his unabashed support for Common Core. Leading the pack for me at this ridiculously early time are Marco Rubio and Ben Carson. Among those who have not announced are Scott Walker & John Kaisch.

ADP, Fair point. I don't see the first two being productive presidents. I don't see the second two getting elected.
1.) An economic plan that addresses head on the national debt which I believe is our top security problem. The plan MUST include changing entitlements including Social Security and Medicare, a new tax system based on consumption rather than wages. 2.) A strong plan for national defense based on power not ideological/flowery speeches. I'm not advocating international intervention but rather the strongest/best military on the planet - a mobile 21st century technologically advanced military. 3.) A sane immigration policy which also closes our borders to illegal immigration.

1) Exactly what programs do you consider "entitlements"? Different people have a different definition.
2) In light of your emphasis on controlling spending? Why is "national defense" spending a priority?
3) Describe how you think immigration is ruining this country.

If you ever said Obama wasn't qualified to be President, you can't even mutte Marco Rubio as a legitimate candidate.

Come on. It was not Romney "could" win handily.

No one would even remember a statement like that.

ADP, Fair point. I don't see the first two being productive presidents. I don't see the second two getting elected.

1) Exactly what programs do you consider "entitlements"? Different people have a different definition.
2) In light of your emphasis on controlling spending? Why is "national defense" spending a priority?
Entitlements,

1) In the broadest sense, any government program that pays individuals or companies is an entitlement IMO. That would include things like Food Stamps, Welfare, Farm Subsidies, carve outs from the tax code for individuals, special interest groups and companies. I'm not going to get into a nomenclature argument over the word "entitlements" but I think you know what I mean.
2) I can't believe you even asked this question with what is going on in the world today. Defending us is the government's primary obligation.
3) Where did I say immigration is "ruining the country?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT