ADVERTISEMENT

Ramblings

Perminator

Diaper Dandy
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2006
After pouring over this site for a couple weeks, needed it as a group therapy being 3,000 miles away, I just wanted to share a few of my thoughts on the season, overall view, and going forward. I am going Voice style on the list, in no particular order. I am no way an expert on hoops, an insider, or anything of the sort, just a fan who needs to vent.

1. As much as I would love to look back on this season as one of the great seasons for the program, and it was, I can't get over the taint of going out in round 2 to an 8 seed. It happens. It happened. It shouldn't take away from the other accomplishments this great group of kids had, but I am human and it does. Our sports culture is postseason obsessed, and I would way rather have deep runs mixed in with missing the tournament, then consistent first weekend exits. Getting to that 2nd weekend is huge, in just the terms of media attention on individual stories, and I think we had great stories to tell, especially with our seniors, and I am bummed those didn't get to be told on a grander stage.

2. I have read alot about size, team structure, etc. The bottom line is that this team was a bit overrated. And I think that actually says alot about the kids on the team. This team played so amazingly consistent all year, which is not the norm in College hoops. It wasn't unfortunate they were overrated, they freaking earned it by answering the bell pretty much every night. The problem is when the tournament comes around, you will get a teams best effort, and that is a relative advantage to the teams that have talent but underachieved throughout the season. I saw some serious talent the 2nd weekend that I didn't see on this squad. What this squad had was few weaknesses and a more consistent effort. What we need to get to perennially be in the 2nd weekend, and truly competing that weekend, is more talent. Let's hope Brunson and Spellman can equal that.

3. I think Jay's best teams have a good stretch 4. 2006 was a bit of an aberration, but our guards were so good that year we got away with it. JVP was not a stretch 4. Easier to write that than to find one that can play defense with the versatility needed. Let's hope Hart can continue in that role.

4. I am in the middle on the Ennis transfer. I think it will really hurt us defensively, not that he was Kyle Lowry, but because we don't have an obvious replacement for him on the defensive end. Booth/Brunson both play smaller defensively, Jenkins and Arch don't have the speed or rebounding instincts or length or some combo of those, Bridges and Donte unproven. Hart may actually be the best fit, but he will be will be playing the 4 for the most part. All that being said, let's not overrate Dylan now that he is gone. Even though at times he would actually carry us offensively, I never felt comfortable with the ball in his hands. He had no conscience shooting, which is fine if you are a pure shooter, but he is not that. There is a reason he had a wide open look to take the lead at the end of the game. While his ball handling skills aren't bad, he is far from an effective breakdown player, which I think we will upgrade with the departure of Ennis, the arrival of Brunson, and further emergence from Booth. I always had a sneaking suspicion the Ennis would shoot us out of a game in the tourney. I guess that's one less worry for next year. I like Ennis, I do think it will hurt us initially. I think it could hurt us all year, but can also see it being a net positive for the team.

5. I think the Ennis departure is going to simplify things for Jay. You have 3 guards for 2 spots. I don't anticipate seeing alot of those 3 on the floor at the same time, but also don't seeing us play only one. Arch/Booth/Brunson split 80 mins. Forwards you have Hart/Jenkins/Bridges. And who guards the opposing 3 and 4 will depend on the types of matchups presented. Daniel/Reynolds at the 5. We have to hope that Reynolds is ready to be a true backup 5. Wildcard is Donte, and if he can provide effective minutes off the bench he can swing between guards and forwards, which we all know Jay loves to do. Otherwise, the 2 we really need to step up, and will have the biggest opportunities to do so, are Jenkins and Bridges. If those 2 can both be decent defensively while stretching the floor offensively, we won't miss a beat. Big If though. It would be nice if Donte is a pleasant surprise though. I just don't see Delaney getting much run this year.

6. My final point is about our general offensive philosophy that pretty much everyone has the green light at all times. I have actually always liked that philosophy. It's ultimate goal is to produce a bunch of fearless players. It's negatives are a lot of wasted possesions. I will always take my chances with a fearless team over an efficient team in a head to head setting. The rub is that this squad never got that fearless gene, at least not when the lights were brightest. Maybe it's just this particular group, maybe it's the second weekend drought adding additional pressure, or maybe it's a philosophy better used for professionals who are more immune to the pressure. Bottom line, if everyone can shoot whenever they want, no matter of situation, hot hand, etc., the result should be no butt puckering tourney time. I am hoping Brunson brings some of that fearlessness.

This post was edited on 4/6 4:26 PM by Perminator

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News