ADVERTISEMENT

Retired Guys

JMerc2

VUSports.com Addict
Dec 7, 2011
What do you do all day? I always figured that when I retired I'd live on a sailboat, and just kind of go where the wind takes me. Maybe if I was land bound I'd pick up a time consuming hobby like woodworking. Do you really just sit in your condos all day and post on vusports while laborers shovel your snow?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Sportsboss_ofnothing:
Smoke weed and dine at crappy chain restaurants for early bird specials.
doesn't sound terrible, just do it in Florida/beach

Originally posted by JMerc2:
What do you do all day? I always figured that when I retired I'd live on a sailboat, and just kind of go where the wind takes me. Maybe if I was land bound I'd pick up a time consuming hobby like woodworking. Do you really just sit in your condos all day and post on vusports while laborers shovel your snow?
Merc.....thanks for your concern.......depends on the time of year.....and the weather. Used to golf; now limited due to impairments. Wanted to move to The Villages (yep, where Rocky Bob lives) but my wife doesn't want to be away from family. Boating is cool, if it's someone else's boat; otherwise, too much work. Woodworking requires hammer, drills, saws, never learned how to use them....plus, splinters.....ugh.
I agree today is boring, but, I'll watch the DVR of the game as I was there last night. Summers are the best.....pick up grandkids from baseball and soccer camps. Grandson goes to 2-3 Phillies academies, Granddaughter goes to 3-4 soccer camps, including the Union Summer Select camp, and the ODP camps (Olympic Development Program). Sometime, it seems that there isn't enough time. A lot depends on family involvement. You'll find out some day......and, think you'll agree.

Isn't sitting in a condo watching men shovel snow better than pretending to work on briefs and hoping that the firing partner bypasses your office on the next round of layoffs this afternoon?

Become an adjunct professor and give young co-eds extra credit assignments :)

While i cannot see myself doing what i do now forever, I cannot see myself ever not working. I gotta be engaged in something.

My dad has been out of work (not retired) for nearly 2 years now. Last year he played over 70 rounds of golf, travelled a fair bit, and did some side consulting work. He just made his last payment for college.

If you can't think of what you would do in retirement, you must suck.

Originally posted by LGBlue:
Isn't sitting in a condo watching men shovel snow better than pretending to work on briefs and hoping that the firing partner bypasses your office on the next round of layoffs this afternoon?
Yes, that's probably right. Although I don't "pretend" to do any work, and I'm probably not going to get fired.

My point is that most retired people don't seem to do anything. I'd play a ton of golf, maybe restore a classic car, and generally fill my day with things that I want to do. Most of the retired people just like to sit around and brag about how little they do and/or brag about what kind of deals they get on early bird specials.

Owning a boat is too much work? What else are you doing all day, counting the ceiling tiles?

I'd like to see rockybob weigh in on this. He seems to have the best retired life out of all the board old guys.

Semi retired here for 7 years. Work about a whopping 25 hrs per month doing consulting.

During Northeast golf season play 3 times per week without having to battle for tee time. Get around the links in less than 3.5 hrs generally. Have 7 grandkids so always something going on somewhere. When winter hits I head south for a month to 6 weeks and take care of the golf itch. Stay active at the Y avoiding crush times. Love to head over when the 20 to 30 something ladies are working out.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Lots of thing to keep me busy and am amazed when people delay retiring because they don't know what they'd do with the time.

Just tweaking you JMerc2, hope that things are OK there, actually.

That said, owning a boat is definitely cash and effort intensive, should only be done for those that truly love it. I think the ideal scenario is to play golf and be friends with a few people with nice boats, so that you can just enjoy the good part of going out on the boat without incurring all the maintenance cost and effort. Even if you splurge for gas, food and beverages to go out on your friend's boat, you're way ahead of the game.

I haven't played video games in about 4 years but imagine if/when I retire (about 48 years if 75 is the retirement age then) that there will be some great virtual reality video games by then that basically let you be whatever you want. it's going to be great.

Snottie--if you're irreplaceable, you might not be retiring until death.

Retired guys seem to have a penchant for parading around the locker room at the gym with their junk hanging out.

Some even use a haridryer to "brightside," if you will.

If you're lucky you have a passion to follow & maybe find some new one's.

As far as mainliners post goes Can't imagine not building, fixing something or doing some small amount of maintanence.

I always thought that too, 5.0 You'd be surprised how quickly you can get used to being retired. I'll be retired 16 years in August. Maybe the first month I felt kind of lost with nothing to do and no job to go to every day. But that feeling changed in no time. I realized I had all the time I never had to work on projects at home and in the garden. I read a lot more books. I exercised more and got in better condition. Took a bunch of trips. Really got into computers and some web design. There are so many things you can spend your time on, I promise you that you won't be bored.

Another added thought.........you probably won't feel physically in your 40's as you will in your late 60's......a lot of your do's and don'ts change drastically..........although you deteriorate slowly, it is still quite a shock. You may think it won't happen to me....but, you'll see. If you are lucky enough to avoid some of the real bad shit (know what I mean)....there is still arthritis which you can get in just about every joint in your body....for instance, hands, shoulder, knees..........and holding off on a hip swap....just to name a few.
I remember never thinking about retiring.......never checking the pension plan or 401K........it was always years away......then all of a sudden your going to your retirement dinner.........worst meal I ever had...............
This post was edited on 1/26 6:56 PM by Mainliner II

The younger guys don't realize how true that statement that "time flies" really is, MainlinerII. Another big thing to remember is to make sure you're prepared financially to retire.

Originally posted by LizReed:

Snottie--if you're irreplaceable, you might not be retiring until death.
Got me good there man. Trying to put my rampage last week behind me. Recent events had me fuming.

Still, I think it takes 6-8 months to effectively replace even a lower level employee in my department and that's a very significant chunk when you're trying to IPO in 2-3 years. Bad scalability and only getting worse

Rampages are therapeutic. I enjoyed the courageous, small-business hero vs. hard-working employee discussion.

It seems golf is the go-to activity for retired guys. Any retired guys out there who don't like golf? What the hell do you do all day? I personally can't stand golf. I'd rather be working.

Originally posted by Nova98:
It seems golf is the go-to activity for retired guys. Any retired guys out there who don't like golf? What the hell do you do all day? I personally can't stand golf. I'd rather be working.
I work in a field where I get to see lots of "younger guys" (e.g., mid 50's) who have a liquidity event that allows them to retire with a lot of money. Beyond golf, there are a lot of large boat purchases, a lot of fishing, skiing, surfing, travel with the wife. There are lots to do at that age without golfing. We acquired a business a few years ago on a Friday afternoon and the CEO / Owner was going to retire. He called me at like 4:00pm asking where his money was as he was at the yacht dealer with 20 of his friends buying a 60 foot boat and the wires didn't go through...

But the reality is, I see most guys still want to work in some way. Active on boards, or take on new jobs, etc. Many of them retire for 2 years and then want to get back in on the action in some way. Now, when they were in their 30's and 40's building a business they were working 70 hours and worrying about making payroll. Now they work 25-30 hours, but they're still in the game

Actually, one of the best things I did when I retired was become a substitute teacher. It was lots of fun and I learned a lot. Then I got sick and had to quit. Otherwise, I think I might still be doing that.

My uncle is retired and my Dad is pretty close.

My uncle these days plays golf, spend alot of time with grand kids and also is on several boards for non for profits, specifically ones that he has passion for in his community.

To be honest, it is something I would love to pursue as well, specifically if you find a non for profit organization that has helped your or a family member in anyway. I have worked with several boards and many of them are filled with retirees. They spend alot of time fundraising in the community and helping the company make investment decisions.

Not sure if anyone on here is on a Non For Profit board but it seems like a very cool way to stay involved after you re done working

My dad struggled with occupying his time when he first retired. He went from working for the same company for 40 years which he took a lot of pride in and loved to having endless free time. He played a lot of golf but doing that everyday becomes boring. He would do the TJC thing and read a few newspapers and watch Fox News for hours which I'm pretty sure brought him more stress than work. For all I know, he could post on here. He acted as a consultant to his former company for the first 2 years which kept him in the game a bit while also helping the new guy who took over for him. That seemed like a good cool down period for him.

Now, he's got a pretty good routine down. He still reads 2-3 papers a day (WSJ, NYP and the local) goes to Mass in the morning and goes into his routine. He plays golf about 3 times a week, does some volunteer work 1-2 days a week and spends the rest of the time entertaining visiting family and friends.

It seems to me that your whole pace slows down when you retire so it doesn't take a lot to fill your day. Going to the bank, post office, dry cleaner and grocery store can take up an entire day. Throw in a doctors appointment every few weeks and you're getting "pretty busy."

Not a first, spg. It was in my TQ thread. It was a great experience.

Originally posted by HereComeTheCats:
My dad struggled with occupying his time when he first retired. He went from working for the same company for 40 years which he took a lot of pride in and loved to having endless free time. He played a lot of golf but doing that everyday becomes boring. He would do the TJC thing and read a few newspapers and watch Fox News for hours which I'm pretty sure brought him more stress than work. For all I know, he could post on here. He acted as a consultant to his former company for the first 2 years which kept him in the game a bit while also helping the new guy who took over for him. That seemed like a good cool down period for him.

Now, he's got a pretty good routine down. He still reads 2-3 papers a day (WSJ, NYP and the local) goes to Mass in the morning and goes into his routine. He plays golf about 3 times a week, does some volunteer work 1-2 days a week and spends the rest of the time entertaining visiting family and friends.

It seems to me that your whole pace slows down when you retire so it doesn't take a lot to fill your day. Going to the bank, post office, dry cleaner and grocery store can take up an entire day. Throw in a doctors appointment every few weeks and you're getting "pretty busy."
I'm always amazed how often I get dragged into threads, many of which I don't even post in, where statements are made about me as if they were fact. It seems it's always done by people who just make the stuff up. Very interesting that there are posters who haven't got anything better to do than make up stuff about me. I guess I should consider it a form of flattery that people have me constantly on their mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT