ADVERTISEMENT

Ripoff Artists

FatPhilM

'Nova Nation Sensation
Feb 7, 2009
I just heard the Beastie Boys on the radio and whenever I hear them I think they sound like Run DMC impersonators. They made a lot of money by stealing someone else's act. There are a lot out there. Carlos Mencia is supposed to appropriate other comics' jokes. Up for discussion: the biggest ripoff artists.

Here's some off the top of my head: Beastie Boys, Limp Bizkit (Rage Against the Machine), Dropkick Murphys (Pogues), The Offspring (80s punk, Murphy's Law). More will come to mind.

Few things in life are original. It's important to tip your cap to the person who communicates it to you effectively.

Mencia is a true ripoff artist. He was straight stealing content.

The rest are just offering their variation on a style. That's evolution, not a ripoff. Every musician offers some transformation of crap that has been done before.

Run DMC would probably laugh at you if you suggested that to them.

I'd argue upwards of 80% of rap songs use sampled beats.

Just for clarification I was saying Run DMC would laugh at the notion that Beastie Boys were rip offs of them.

Nardi, do you consider any rapper talented?

Robin Williams was a notorious ripoff artist among the standup comedy community.

You know, not to be all TheFoyeEffect. But its true.

That's a bizarre statement. They were copycats all the way down to their Adidas. Rick Ruben produced the Beastie Boys as the rich, white version of Run DMC. The Beastie Boys are as authentic as Vanilla Ice.

tumblr_m6r3krFtks1qbkmx9o1_r1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
didnt he frequently sample music?

The point of sampling the music was because they were street kids with little money. They didn't have instruments or music lessons. They sampled hooks but made their own beats and mixed the lyrics. I'm fine with that.

For the record FatPhilM, your recent emergence as a neo-classic punk music connoisseur moves you up a notch in my book.

That puts you at notch one.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Kenny, agree or disagree: Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" borrowed a lot from Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield."

Youre either referring to his recent suicide or his astoundingly successful career.

Both. Was seeing where you would take it.

Ultimately, he got famous for his awesome performance style (of jokes that he stole, nearly all of his material apparently). Did he even do much standup after the early 80s? So, in my book, he's like a musician whose first hit was based on a cover or a sampled hook, but actually grew up and produced some decent stuff.

New Edition's Candy Girl is the same song as ABC by the Jackson 5.

Beasties played instruments on multiple albums & changed their sound a few times.

Have to say the 3 Jewish boys from NYC are more original than rip-off

As great as they were Led Zeppelin were the biggest rip off artists of all time.

Reactions: gldendog
I think Bruce is decent but to say Dylan ripped him off is laughable. Listen to some of the live Dylan recordings from the early 70's with The Band. They were the original E-Street Band.

As great as they were Led Zeppelin were the biggest rip off artists of all time.

I think this is the same as rappers sampling hooks and beats from older songs. I don't think this is the type of ripoff that FatPhil was talking about with his original post. I think of 98 degrees, Poison, Pepper, Sum 41, etc. as the rip offs that he was talking about.

Beasties played instruments on multiple albums & changed their sound a few times.

Have to say the 3 Jewish boys from NYC are more original than rip-off
Yeah, they tried punk and jumped on the hip hop trend as punk declined in popularity. Another example of what fakes they are. Can you imagine Keith Morris switching to hip hop?

Punk is an act of rebellion.

Pretty much stayed true to that.

You might be right that they ripped off a
lot from Run dmc, but Paul's Boutique is an original & fun listening-

Ohh, I love the Boss. I just don't connect Bob Dylan ripping him off.

He obviously couldn't be serious. Springsteen's first album has Dylan influences all through it - listen to "Blonde on Blonde" and then listen to "Greetings From Asbury Park" ... Springsteen was largely influenced by Dylan.

I'm fine to to put the Beastie Boys 2nd behind Biggie as the GOAT in rap history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT