ADVERTISEMENT

Robby invited to Payton Award announcement 12/15

DCFRANKLIN

VUSports.com All-American
Dec 19, 2007
One of 3 invitees. Vad Lee of JMU finished 4th. The Eastern Washington QB, a redshirt Jr. is favored with Robby and Idaho State's QB competing for runner-up honors. Unlike some, I thought Robby's season was very good but not spectacular after he broke his left hand in the opener at Syracuse. As Robby himself said, he couldn't use his left hand to fend off tacklers until the cast came off late in the season. So what could have been 100 yard rushing performances were reduced to 60-80 yard games. And then there was the 10-9 stinker at Richmond. I like Robby's chances in 2015, and, provided we find a go-to reveiver to replace Poppy (Gulyas?), a kicker, and Lucas fully recovers, I like VU's chances of reaching the Finals in 2015. This year I will be happy with an Elite 8 or Final 4 finish. But focusing on the matter at hand, I think Cats caught a break with Liberty, a grinding offense as opposed to JMU's go-go style of play. Our DBs had best be on their A game. A timely interception or 3 would go a long way toward neutralizing what I assume will be Liberty's gaudy passing yardage total. And we should plan on matching their FG's with our TDs. Its dangerous to go into the playoffs without a kicker, but here we are.
This post was edited on 12/2 2:44 PM by DCFRANKLIN

They probably award the prize based on regular season. JR might have overtaken the E Wash QB with a couple of hot performances in the playoffs. However the most important title is National Championship. I think JR and crew have a decent chance of following the 2009 team and going all the way.

If they included playoff numbers Brett Gordon would have been our third Payton Award winner - many thought he should have won it over Romo even with the regular season stats.

If they included playoff stats, Tony Romo wouldn't be in the Top 100 of anything.

The voting is based on the regular season. E.Wash. QB missed 3-4 games. John R. toughed it out and was great despite his injuries, the hand and a hip pointer. Team lost 2 games by 1 point, one to a BCS team. Hope he wins it's, as he is most deserving. Never know about next year. Maybe a long shot, but we're good enough to win it this year. To win the N.C. it helps to have a player who can make the big play and we have one in John Robertson. Go Cats!

Our Cats will be very good football team next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT