ADVERTISEMENT

Running question

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Broad Street Run coming up in just over a week and I have upped my running to try and beat my best time (Just under 1:10) - my question to the more experienced runners should I be running my all every time I pound the pavement? Basically my normal running consists of about a 4 mile run outside (around 30 minutes, pretty hilly) or if I am lazy I will run 2 miles on the treadmill. For the Broad Street Run I will add in a 5 miler 2 weeks before the race and then an 8 miler the week before. But pretty much every time I run I go all out and try to do better with my pace. It is going to be pretty tough for me to beat my best time, I am basically plateaued at 7 minute mile pace for anything over 5 miles. Would it be more beneficial to have maybe 1 run a week where I go at it easier?

Broad Street Run coming up in just over a week and I have upped my running to try and beat my best time (Just under 1:10) - my question to the more experienced runners should I be running my all every time I pound the pavement? Basically my normal running consists of about a 4 mile run outside (around 30 minutes, pretty hilly) or if I am lazy I will run 2 miles on the treadmill. For the Broad Street Run I will add in a 5 miler 2 weeks before the race and then an 8 miler the week before. But pretty much every time I run I go all out and try to do better with my pace. It is going to be pretty tough for me to beat my best time, I am basically plateaued at 7 minute mile pace for anything over 5 miles. Would it be more beneficial to have maybe 1 run a week where I go at it easier?
I always called the all out run threshold runs. You should be doing those a minimum of 1-2 times per week.

I defined a Threshold run as simply meaning you're still feeling it the next day.

A couple little pieces of advice. If you have a planned threshold run, try to do something the day before, and the day after. Your body will start recovering more quickly and get used to it.

Also, if you can do say a shorter tempo workout the day before a long run, you'll really improve your times and distance.

Basic advice is never do consecutive hard runs. If you are plateauing at 7 minute pace, you will need to incorporate at least one workout per week that involves some running at sub 7 pace.

But if you are running 5 days per week, you should have at least 3 of them be easy runs. If you are running 6 days per week, then you can alternate 3 hard runs with 3 easy runs. Hard runs would include any track interval work, any tempo runs, or any long runs.

Do you ever do speed interval training to try to increase pace? Something like 0.5 mile slow jog, rest for a minute, then 0.5 as fast as you possibly can, repeat 2 or 3 X. Then a slow cool down jog, maybe even stationary bike. I would go with that maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then easy runs to essentially rest up the rest of the coming week.

My problem is I view not running at full speed as a waste. I run for the cardio more than anything else so maybe I should just be happy with where I am at pace wise.

Define an easy run for me? So if I normally do my 4ish mile loop in about 28 minutes, should I be doing it in about 35 minutes? I have always been interested in just going to a track and trying to run a mile balls to the wall. In my races I usually do the first mile in a sub 6:30 pace so I am sure if I went out and just ran a mile I can do it at right around 6. I know doing that I will still get in a good cardio workout, but will I get a good one doing these recommended easy runs, or speed training?

I'm not going to change anything now, the race is Sunday but maybe I will look to change things up starting next week. I want to get back to the gym to lift weights again so it might work out to start incorporating these types of runs in because I'll be doing them after lifting so my hear rate should already be going.

My problem is I view not running at full speed as a waste. I run for the cardio more than anything else so maybe I should just be happy with where I am at pace wise.

Define an easy run for me? So if I normally do my 4ish mile loop in about 28 minutes, should I be doing it in about 35 minutes? I have always been interested in just going to a track and trying to run a mile balls to the wall. In my races I usually do the first mile in a sub 6:30 pace so I am sure if I went out and just ran a mile I can do it at right around 6. I know doing that I will still get in a good cardio workout, but will I get a good one doing these recommended easy runs, or speed training?

I'm not going to change anything now, the race is Sunday but maybe I will look to change things up starting next week. I want to get back to the gym to lift weights again so it might work out to start incorporating these types of runs in because I'll be doing them after lifting so my hear rate should already be going.

Easy/long runs means you can hold a conversation while running. For general running, that's an easy barometer for the pace you should be at.

For tempo workouts, depending on length, you should be at about 90% heart rate. If you're a 7 minute miler, then maybe 6:15 pace? Also, don't walk between sets, try to keep moving. I like doing 1/4 mile splits at X and X-1 paces, where X is your long run pace. It's efficient, and you really see good jumps and comfort levels in your X pace.

You should not be running all of your miles at the same pace. You won't get past this plateau unless you change your approach. If 7min/mile is your hard pace, then your easy pace will be approx 8:30. Like TMJ said, easy pace means you can hold a conversation without halting your words. Go to McMillan running and use their free tools to get some workouts to help you make a desired race result.

Reactions: tomjackleman
Any tips for running in the rain? I never really do. I am definitely going to hit up a running store to get a pair of waterproof socks.

Things to consider in rain- wear a hat to help keep rain out of your eyes. Lightly tinted sunglasses are also a possibility. Don't wear cotton (much less of an issue than it used to be with all of the dri fit material out there). And if you chafe in normal conditions, you will chafe worse in rain because your shirt will stick to you more.

Things to consider in rain- wear a hat to help keep rain out of your eyes. Lightly tinted sunglasses are also a possibility. Don't wear cotton (much less of an issue than it used to be with all of the dri fit material out there). And if you chafe in normal conditions, you will chafe worse in rain because your shirt will stick to you more.
Do I really need one of those running hats or will any hat do?

For a single race, any hat will help. But wearing a light nylon hat is a better option if you have one.

Things to consider in rain- wear a hat to help keep rain out of your eyes.

Another option...

471214726-runner-wears-an-umbrella-hat-in-the-mass-gettyimages.jpg

Any tips for running in the rain? I never really do. I am definitely going to hit up a running store to get a pair of waterproof socks.
A light rain for ten miles, I would probably stick to the socks you know work. Your feet should be fine. You'll only be out there an hour or so.

Have an old shirt ready to wear and ditch right before the start. If it's raining heavily a garbage bag might not hurt either, or a cheap poncho.

Keep your feet dry until the start anyway you can. You'll probably look dumb, but whatever.

Hat is probably a must to keep water out of your face, but as long as it's a light rain, it won't be much of an issue. It'll probably help as it'll keep you cool if anything. The dry fit or similar material shirt is a must too. Good call.

Have dry clothes ready at the finish, along with fresh socks and shoes. Enjoy it.

Do they have clear bags at the gear check buses? I had my packet mailed to me so I didn't pick one up at the Expo.

Looking forward to doing this at a jogging pace in my current fat boi shape. I hope I don't hypothermia from being in 48 degree rain for 3 hours between the wait, the race and the walk/limp back to my car.

Reactions: tomjackleman
Depends on what you have. That usually works, or if you have an old pair of sneakers you don't wear you can switch right before the race and chuck them. Both fine options.

Can't wait to hear what happened. Arak's broad street run stories are the highlight of my first Sunday in May every year.

Was a pretty miserable day, a lot colder than I expected. I was aiming for 1:10 and missed it by 3 minutes. It's not because of weather either, I just didn't train enough.

Sounds like you failed to square up.
Nah I gave it my all. I busted my ass the last 2 miles but just didn't have it in me. I'm ok with it though, if I had missed it by like 10 seconds I would have been pissed. But 3 minutes is a good chunk of time.

I never got the allure to these "runs". Playing sports is 100x more enjoyable. If you just want the cardio - that's what the treadmill is for. You don't have to contend with oppressive heat, or wind, or rain, or anything. I dunno - maybe it's just me. Running in mini marathons does nothing for me. Especially the ones that require you to pay. To each his own.

1) Running is a sport. You make no sense.
2) you've never done one I take it, how do you know you what the "allure" is?
3) they all take some form of money to enter. Running is the cheapest sport in the world to participate. Entry fees for races generally cover water and hydration expenses, charity contributions, road closures, etc.

For a lot of people, these races are huge achievements that take months of preparation and sacrifice. When's the last time you spent five months of your life dedicated to anything?

I never got the allure to these "runs". Playing sports is 100x more enjoyable. If you just want the cardio - that's what the treadmill is for. You don't have to contend with oppressive heat, or wind, or rain, or anything. I dunno - maybe it's just me. Running in mini marathons does nothing for me. Especially the ones that require you to pay. To each his own.
I don't get the allure of screaming over foul calls with borderline homeless guys at an LA Fitness.

How about the "4.6 Jagoff Runoff"?

It's just one mile, four times around the trash cans.

You post your time when you're ready. Not the actual time, a percentage, to handicap it.

Last day to post is Labor Day.

1st place gets the PB subscription.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
The 2016 4.6 Jagoff Runoff

Clarification: you can post as many percentages as you want. Your best percentage counts.

Good luck.

400full-the-jericho-mile-screenshot.jpg

I never thought I'd ever join the running subculture. But somehow I did. I love the big city races. Taking the subway/metro at 6:30am with 20,000 others. It's exciting.

That said, I do realize I'm probably searching for some fulfillment that has eluded me in life. Crossing the finish line after running 13 miles makes me feel like a champion.

Reactions: NickleDimer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT