ADVERTISEMENT

Shelly Pennefather

ROMEOCAT

All VUSports.com Team
Aug 11, 2002
Anyone know if she has given, or ever will give, a Vow of Silence at the convent where she now lives as a sister of the Poor Claires? If not, would it be a benefit to have her speak with EDD? Is EDD a catholic?

Yes, she is a sequistered nun. The Poor Claires live with only the nessecities of life, they wake up in the middle of the night to pray, etc. Pretty much no communication with the outside world. Harry has an in with her mother superior, and visits once a year, always bringing food, stationary, etc.

CBS talked about her a little bit in a special a couple years ago, and told a story about how Shelly's mother superior called Harry when he was on the bus to the RAC to go play Uconn in the Big East Championship game back in 2003. "I'm on the bus, going to go get killed by Uconn" or something like that. She said they would say a rosary for them, and maybe that would help.

And the result is history, and was history being made.

I remember seeing that TV spot on Shelley and it was a great story. Harry made mention of how many of her baskets came from long range and her cumulative point total would have been even higher if the three point rule had been in effect when she played.

Our prayers and hopes are all that we have to go on as far as EDD is concerned. I am sure that Shelley's prayers have a more important message for the big guy.

I got to see her play live once. It was a womens game that was played right before a mens game at the Pavilion way back when. She was absolutley dominating on the court. Very skilled young woman.

I don't think Shelly ever played in a losing high school game; I believe that she was on two Colorado state champion ship teams, and I know that she won two New York state titles when she played for Utica Notre Dame. Ironically her father Mike, a Saint Joe grad, wanted her to become a Hawk.
But they showed little interest; it is strange the way things turn out.

She went 96-0 in high school, was BE player of the year for all 3 years. Collegiate POY as a senior. Highest scoring VU Basketball player of any team scoring over 2,00 points, 1,000 boards and 450 assists. Played pro hoops in Japan for 4 years, offered 2,00,000 to play for a
5th year but instead joined the convent. Amazing Villanovan.

Harry has some great stories that he's shared at mmet the coaches shows since he's been included.

The National Gatorade Player of the Year this year is Briannn Stewart Of Cicero North Syracuse. She is 6'4" and play any position on the floor; of course, she will be a Huskie. Shelly was the best high school girl player I have ever seen. I am trying to get someone who has seen them both a number of times offer a comparison. However, there is a thirty year time difference.

I think I have posted this linked story before (written 2003), but it is worth the read.

story

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT