ADVERTISEMENT

Sore Back

Mr. Wade Garrett

VUSports.com Addict
Dec 11, 2007
I'm reasonbly young, better half of 35. By mid day my mid-back starts getting sore. Maybe it's bad posture, but it's getting worse as the years go on.

You guys have this experience? What have you done about it?

Which part of your back? Are you working at a desk? Or doing heavy lifting?

Has started happening to me too. I've been working on posture, particularly not sitting with my feet up on my desk all day. Also been doing some back exercises and stretches throughout the day.

Are you fat? Losing weight usually helps.

Have an ergonomic assessment done on your work station to start. And tilting your head down to check your phone constantly adds a lot more strain to your back.

One, mid back, left of the spine. Where lats end.
Two, only heavy lifting is at the gym, bro.

I'm almost positive its posture.

And Merc, im not fat. I look like Leslie nielsen when he takes his shirt off in naked gun.
Have your kidneys checked. You may have a low grade infection. It's a simple function blood test. (I can only imagine the responses I'd have gotten if I asked this question. Even Sal's baby would have probably chimed in.)

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
I added a standing desk to my work spaces. Very helpful. Sitting all day is the new smoking. It's a killer.

Reactions: kjbert
If this has persisted, I would suggest having the back x rayed....and possibly get an MRI. I have a bulging disc and it causes much discomfort. Went to pain management and have had a series of shots including an epidural which provided some relief, but, the pain has returned. Take a lot of pain medicine, but nothing really helps. I'm probably older than you and don't relish the idea of any surgery, as, this doesn't guarantee relief. To make matters worse, have a bad right knee that I get shots in periodically. Ortho Dr. has suggested getting a replacement. Sorry I can't give you better advice.......and while therapy has been suggested by Dr's, I tried this a couple of times and can barely walk the following days.

Mid back? Not sure.

About 7 months ago my lower back was killing me. I had the same issue previously, but it always sorted itself out within a few days; not this time though.

So after a few weeks I saw a chiropractor. Dude knew his shit. Diagnosed me with a bulging disc immediately.

He was a huge advocate of planks. They are now in my daily routine and my back feels great. Really have to strengthen the core. So important.

Also ice it a lot. Beach towel on the floor. Ice with dish towel over it. Lie on it for 15 minutes. Helps a lot.

Also as people mention, sitting all day is horrible. I try to walk either before and/or after work. Flat surface (no hills).

Also staying away from any exercises that might aggravate the back in the gym. Eliminated many exercises. Just not worth it.

Again, since yours is the mid back, doesn't sound similar to my issue. Definitely recommend the ice and planks though.

I've had good success with chiropractor visits occasionally. So often it is due to muscles on one side of the body pulling the other side out of symmetry.

Work your core and hammy's. Avoid the chiro at all costs.

Because once you go, you have to go back. Due to hitting thousands of kick serves I've got two vertebre that fish mouth. When I get out of shape nerves get caught in there and it's very painful. Best thing you can do is strengthen your core and remain in shape. Chiro's should be a last resort. You don't want to get into a position where you consistently need to get readjusted. It's my own bias but I'm not a fan of chiro's as it masks whatever you have but doesn't fix anything.

Sorta agree with adp.

If you are going to the chiropractor for the quick fix, it's not going to help long term IMO.

Need to put the proper maintenance in yourself to help prevent the bad back.

I was reluctant to go see the chiropractor last year; I think I even started a thread here axing for others' experiences.

Anyways, the dude didn't even crack my back. Did some stretching, real deep tissue massage (bruised up the next day), went over exercises, etc.

In other words, this dude wasn't just a back cracker.

Ive done everything he recommended and my back feels great (daily planks, ice, walks, changed workout routine, lotsa light squats with ass out more than a usual squat).

Meanwhile, my buddy sees him every 2-3 weeks for the quick fix. Doesn't take his advice doing planks for 10 minutes a day - "They are too hard". So he still has issues.

Not sure all chiropractors advise what my guy do or do they just crack the back? Don't regret seeing mine at all.

I'm reasonbly young, better half of 35. By mid day my mid-back starts getting sore. Maybe it's bad posture, but it's getting worse as the years go on.

You guys have this experience? What have you done about it?

what kind of mattress do you own? Girlfriend and I sometimes have back problems and I recently purchased a new Serta gel memory foam mattress and that has helped a lot.

what kind of mattress do you own? Girlfriend and I sometimes have back problems and I recently purchased a new Serta gel memory foam mattress and that has helped a lot.

Good point. Definitely can cause back issues. I think mine doesn't help at all. Too soft. Need to get a new one.

Use a small pillow for lumbar support in your work chair
Adjust the seat in your car so you sit straight when you drive
Ditch the fat wallet in our back pocket
Planks and core strengthening is the key

Tight hammys usually impact lower back.

Agree with comments to work on your core.

Chiropractor offers short-term relief but you need to address the underlying issue.

Stretch...stretch...stretch.

It gets even worse as you get older!

Stretching is good, but definitely be careful if you already have an injury as you can tweak it more. Real light stretching until you are on the mend. My guy had me only doing planks, ice, walking for two weeks. No stretching. No gym. Worked great. And like everything, make sure you are using proper form when stretching. Always amazed at some of the horrible form people use at the gym. Do more harm then good.

I agree with all the stretching suggestions, especially the hamstrings, quads and hip flexors. I had daily lower back pain for about 6 months. It is a lot better now because of stretching. The real test will be this summer as I start playing more golf.

The other thing that helped was I changed how I sleep. You cannot sleep on your stomach, it's terrible for your back. Sleeping on your back is best or on your side with a pillow between your knees.

The other thing that helped was I changed how I sleep. You cannot sleep on your stomach, it's terrible for your back. Sleeping on your back is best or on your side with a pillow between your knees.
Did you change how you sleep or do you just have more room after she left you?

If this has persisted, I would suggest having the back x rayed....and possibly get an MRI. I have a bulging disc and it causes much discomfort. Went to pain management and have had a series of shots including an epidural which provided some relief, but, the pain has returned. Take a lot of pain medicine, but nothing really helps. I'm probably older than you and don't relish the idea of any surgery, as, this doesn't guarantee relief. To make matters worse, have a bad right knee that I get shots in periodically. Ortho Dr. has suggested getting a replacement. Sorry I can't give you better advice.......and while therapy has been suggested by Dr's, I tried this a couple of times and can barely walk the following days.

You must be in excruciating pain after sitting on those unforgiving wooden benches in the Pavilion, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT